Colour: Blue|Change

on 26 April 2015
Bought around 10 months ago and it's started to split around the bit where the red and the bottom grey part join.
review image
I do like Kitchen Craft Products, I tend to find they are good value, cheery and well designed, and this Colander is not exception. I had long been looking for a solution to having to wash my metal colander by hand every time I used it so I was really pleased to spot this dishwasher safe Colander. I bought mine in bright pink, but it's also available in 5 other colours; blue, orange, red, purple and green, so you could practically have a whole rainbow if you wanted!

The Colander has a diameter of 24cm at the top and tapers to a 16cm wide base. There are two sturdy handles and the whole thing collapses down to about 5cm deep, saving space in my kitchen drawer. The whole thing is made of plastic and is part of the nylon colourworks range. I find it is big enough when not collapsed to accommodate even our family's generous portions of pasta - the capacity is 2.8 litres.

In use this is pretty good, although there are only holes at the bottom rather than on the sides as well which does seem a little strange at first, but it does seem to drain just as well as my more traditional colander and it's certainly practical being able to bung it in the dishwasher. This items comes with a five year guarantee, not something I am likely to use but it is testament to the quality of this item which seems to be well made for what it is, I've used it a lot an there is no cracking to the plastic or discolouring from the dishwasher. The only downside I can think of is that there is not "foot" to this item, so if you wanted to hygienically stand it in the sink whilst draining - not something that I like to do but that my husband when he cooks always seems to think is a good draining method - you can't. Actually thinking about it that's probably a good thing as it has put an end to our discussions as to whether that is good cooking practice for once and for all! Though this colander collapses easily for storage, it never has whilst in use, which is definitely a good thing.

All in all this is a good kitchen item that works well and certainly brightens up a dull job. It's not overly expensive and it saves space and on that basis I recommend it.
on 18 September 2012
This is very colourful and folds flat so takes up very little space.

I only have one complaint.
The handles are way too small so it is really easy to get burnt.
I recommend placing it flat in the sink and filling it allowing the steam to disperse before you pick it up.

Other than that I can recommend this
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 August 2015
This colander fit the bill for what we wanted, which was a microwave-safe non-plastic colander for microwaving shirataki noodles. Quite specific! Most plastic colanders didn't look microwave-safe or were made with BPA-containing materials, but as this one is made of silicone, I feel comfortable using it to heat food. I use perforated steel colanders for general use and with this one I note that water doesn't drain off very well. This is because of the material (silicone) creating a greater surface tension of water in the holes, which is compounded by the fact that the holes aren't large enough to compensate for this extra surface tension. What that amounts to is a fair bit of moisture left behind at the bottom that only very vigorous shaking starts to dislodge. It wouldn't be my first choice by far for a standard colander, but it's great for steaming things in the microwave: ie, wash some green beans in the colander, place colander into a bowl in the microwave, steam away. Very handy for that. It does collapse for storage, which is a really nice touch.
on 23 August 2011
We bought this for a camping trip. We wen with a friends and family and some of the other colanders would have been too small. This is a good size, works as advertised and is at a great price here on Amazon.
on 24 September 2015
I'm not sure it's suitable to hold food in it as the colour will bleed onto it!!!
I was making spaghetti for my 1 yr old and when it turned out pink in his plate, of course I didn't give it to him.
Immediately threw it in the bin.
DO.NOT.BUY.
on 24 March 2013
We got two of these colanders in a shop a couple of years ago and they recently split around the folds, so I have bought two more of the same from Amazon. They are so useful, attractive and cheap that I am happy to treat them as a semi-disposable item.

I suppose it would be nice if collapsible silicone products were more durable but replacing them doesn't break the bank.
on 20 September 2013
holds its shape well when pouring heavy objects into it; strains rice; altogether an all round good object which helps save space when stored
on 17 September 2013
just the fact that it fold flat for easy storage is great, no more bulky colanders taking up space. i have been able to drain everything with ease including spaghetti. it can be washed in the dishwasher without going wonky and folds flat perfectly everytime.
on 27 July 2014
I love they way it folds down which is a great space saver and I like the material it's made from as its hard wearing but the drain holes are only on the bottom and I think it would work better if there was some on the sides also.