Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 1 May 2011
At the end of the day, a book review is about somebody's personal opinion and everyone is different. I was surprised at the selection of bad reviews for this book because personally, I absolutely LOVED it. It's a long book and I read it in three days, despite many other commitments to deal with in between!

Whilst it was fairly obvious who the 'baddie' was quite early on, there were many other questions that needed answers and the loose ends were all tied up in the end; something that I insist upon when reading a book! There was also a twist at the end that I didn't see coming, which is always a delight as a reader.

I thought the characters were very believable, and I even felt a small amount of sympathy towards somebody I wasn't expecting to. I didn't see the point of Brenna and Gradin though; the story would have been no better or worse without them. They were a bit pointless really.

I also liked the fact that the chapters were from the different points of view of the main characters; very clever writing.

If you want to read a good thriller from the perspective of the people involved (rather than the Police), get this book. I'd be very surprised if you regretted it.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2009
I am now a big fan of Sam Hayes and can't wait for her next book! Absolutely loved Blood Ties and have just finished Unspoken which was another brilliant read. Very original books and if you like Sophie Hannah or Claire Seeber, you will enjoy Sam Hayes books. Highly recommended!
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2009
Having read "Blood Ties" I was eager to read Ms Hayes second novel. But it was not as good as her first one. It was clear halfway through the novel as to who was the baddie so it was rather tedious to read through to the end to find out the whys and wherefores. There was a small surprise regarding the schoolgirl's death which I hadn't seen coming but Julia had a total change of heart by the end of the novel which I found totally implausible - it felt like the novelist was tying up loose ends for the sake of it. Ms Hayes has written a third novel (not published yet) so will reserve judgment about her talents when I've read that one!
I enjoyed this book written from the viewpoint of a couple, Murray and Julia, on the verge of divorcing and Mary Julia's mother.

Mary is found mute by her daughter who visits for Christmas Day and the story revolves around what happened to cause this. Running parrallel is about a local girl who Julia finds badly hurt nearby. The local GP David steps into help with Mary and Julia falls hard for him.

I'm not going to ruin the story because although a lot of it is fairly obvious I found myself eager to find out exactly what happened to all concerned. Some parts of the story are not convincing at all but still well worth a read.
on 12 June 2016
I read this book in a day. I ordered it after reading another by the same author, which I had been given. Both were really great. Both endings not quite what you would expect. Brilliant.
on 19 December 2011
Sam Hayes has written another gripping novel full of deep understanding of human behaviour and emotions. A book to read in one sitting - if you can
on 4 December 2010
Don't waste your time reading this utterly nonsensical, illogical novel, at almost 500 pages,I really wish I hadn't! Unconvincing characters who behave completely irrationally; the 'mystery' revealed early in the story; authority figures - the social worker, the cop, the psychologist - all prepared to divulge confidential information at the drop of a hat in order to propel the tortuous plot along its weary path . . . I could go on and on but unlike this awful book, I won't.
on 7 July 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this book even though the bad one becomes known quite early on. There are a couple of twists which are interesting! As I read in another review, a review is a personal opinion - I would highly recommend this book! I also loved "Blood Ties" and "Until you're mine"!
on 9 April 2014
Amazing book, unputdownable (is there such a word?). The plot is gripping, my only disappointment is all the bad language. Please Sam try and cut down on the swearing, it spoiled the book for me.
on 1 April 2014
Bought for my mum - she is a big Sam Hayes fan and says this is as good as her other ones.