on 25 August 2010
I've been waiting for this for ages and it's finally here.

And it's BRILLIANT.

Very heavy in places but lyrically beautiful in others (as in the track of that name).

The sheer variety of sounds on offer from the cello section is mind blowing and the drum bass and vocals stitch everything into a cohesive package.

Definitely their best album to date, and a million miles from the initial Metallica covers fro their early days. Definitely a proper band who just happen to shred on cellos, a band that has definitely grown markedly in confidence, not afraid to let the cello sound shine through unadulterated at times, heavily disguised as Metal guitars in others.

And I got the t shirt !

Indeed the whole package has a very highly produced feel to it and the artwork is gorgeous too.

An album to treasure.

PS in case like me you wondered what "Gates of Manala" refers to, it's the "Gates of Hell"
on 21 September 2010
The first track hits you almost right away and develops into a chugging behemoth with a fantastic distorted solo riff, tailing off and then back to smacking you in the face with shredding - majestic start to the album.

I liked End Of Me having heard it on youtube but the other vocal tracks I feel are weak (especially the perhaps fatally titled Not Strong Enough) and that's why I've taken off a star.

Stand out tracks for me are 2010 - Dave Lombardo's drumming fits with the Apocalyptica sound so well, On the Rooftop with Quasimodo is a nice interlude from the metal with some nice melodies but for me the ultimate is Rage of Poseidon. There are so many levels and depth to the sound, it reminded me a bit of Opeth - the only problem I have with it is that it's too short!
on 16 September 2010
Great album, but nevertheless this is a below standard work for Apocalyptica and some of the tracks sound far too comercial, some of them discustingly so (e.g. End of Me).

There are also some up to standard songs such as Sacra and Rage of Poseidon.

Bring them to Light is also a well conceived metal piece.
on 28 September 2010
Being Apocalyptica's fan since "Inqisition Symphony" I have to disagree with other reviewers here. But of course every single review is a single point of view.
As I watched Apocalyptica perfecting the formula started on "Plays Metallica By Four Cellos" through "Inqisition Symphony" and "Cult" to "Reflections" being something new and fresh and in my opinion their best album. "Reflections" was their first album where they tried something completely new. Sure, "Cult" had some symphonic drums and cymbals but it was "Reflection" which first introduced full drumkit (and Dave Lombardo behind it!). I think you can divide Apocalyptica fans into two groups: first group, let's call it "classic Apocalyptica fans" (where I also fall) and the "post-Relfections Apocalyptica fans". What I want to say here is that on the recent albums Apocalyptica lost it's magic, the music lost it's identity. Some songs on "7th Symphony" don't even sound like Apocalyptica. "End of Me" has almost no cellos. "Not Strong Enough" sounds like some power metal recorded for the radio. "Broken Pieces" smells of MTV. "Bring Them to Light" a bit boring and predictable. If you think "Gojira with cellos" you think right. The rest of the songs are OK I guess. But there are no highlights here. All of them sound a bit samey with lots of slow tempos and occassional heavy bursts.
It's a real shame they let bear the palm by so many guest vocalists (they should consider leaving vocal parts for bonus tracks, alternative versions of the songs etc. as they did on "Cult") and pounding (in some songs it's too much) drums (it was way more balanced on "Reflections").
If this your first encounter with Apocalyptica then I suggest you start somewhere else. As a starter I'd recommend "Inqisition Symphony", then the main: "Cult" and as a dessert "Reflections" (make sure you grab "Reflections Revised" with bonus tracks and a neat DVD:)
"7th Symphony"? Disappointing...
on 28 November 2010
I loved it. Recently saw them live and will expand my Apocalyptica collection further after this. Better vocal tracks on Worlds Collide but overall 7th Symphony is great. Some really beautiful moments - these guys are such professional cello players - anyone who doesn't play cello/viola/violin will probably underestimate the sheer skill they bring to my favourite genre (metal).