5.0 out of 5 stars stunning

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Wordy For Me
Published 18 months ago by Lynda Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
I chose to download this book simply because of the price... wow what a book. It is not my usual genre but I have to say it was superb.The writer drew me in from the first page and I found myself completely lost in her beautiful writing.It is first book I have read in a long time that actually moved me to tears, not just because of the story line, but because of her wonderfully descriptive prose. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.. Quite simply stunning

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and Elegiacal, 9 May 2011
A Lighter Shade of Gray tells the story of its narrator, Devon, as she becomes embroiled in a homicide investigation in which her best friend, Cass, is a suspect. Unfolding against the backdrop of the picturesque Florida port of St Augustine, A Lighter Shade of Gray is a fast-moving and exciting story of murder, mystery and madness. It is also a story of love found and lost as Devon recounts the waxing and waning of her romance with childhood sweetheart, Drew. More than that, it is an, at times, profound study of the nature and (un)reality of memory and the vicelike and seductive grips it can hold us in. It is great testament to the talents of the author that she can weave such reflections (an appropriate word given the book's recurring motifs of the double and the looking glass) into her lyrical prose without ever letting up on the entertainment or propelling the narrative forward. A Lighter Shade of Gray is full of the poet's acute observations of emotions, but whilst the aches of the narrator's regrets and longing are keenly felt, there is always a wry sense of humour close at hand to off-set the pain. This is an accomplished debut novel by an up-and-coming American author who has attained sure command of her craft.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Companion, 27 July 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
I'm going to be honest. I downloaded the wrong book. I was actually aiming for 50 Shades of Grey, (like everyone else on the planet). So to be fair my opinion here doesn't carry much weight because this is not my normal take. But I will say that personally I enjoyed the read, even if I was thinking to myself for the first five chapeters, (where are the whips and the corsettes). It's a thriller, and the plot is interesting and not overly predictable. I liked that it was a thriller without violence. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
excelent

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 5 Jun 2013
Tisme "T's opinion" (Center of U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
Started to read but gave up! Not much of a story line.
Just not my kind of book maybe good for some but not me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Wordy For Me, 21 Feb 2013
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
This wasn't for me. It was all too descriptive for my liking. I prefer a fiction book to be easier reading and broken up a bit more with dialogue. I'd only got a few pages in and clicked forward a little and it was pages and pages not really broken up so I had to pack it in. However, although too wordy for me the words ARE properly written which is more than can be said for a lot of e-books !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lighter Shade of Gray, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
Characterized in the official descriptions as "semi-autobiographical," I'll leave it to you to decide which parts are true and which aren't (your guess is as good as mine). I'll often find that books I or someone else describes as "literary fiction," like this one, show deftness with language (which this does), but have a story that isn't that entertaining or that I care about. I'll take a good mystery, thriller, or other genre fiction that uses plain language to tell a compelling story over much literary fiction. A Lighter Shade of Gray (which I believe beat those other gray books into publication and shouldn't be confused with them) has beautiful language and a story I could care about.

Devon Pearse (yes, the protagonist and author's names are the same) has a mother whose mental illnesses eventually lead her to a rural group home and leave Devon afraid for the future. Are the causes genetic? Devon is fearful that she's seeing a glimpse of her future and is unwilling to commit to her boyfriend, or even allow him to commit to her. In fact, Devon goes through much of life making decisions influenced by what might happen. There is some mystery and potential romance to liven up the story as well. It was a story that drew me in slowly, but once it got a hold of me, it wouldn't let go.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **

5.0 out of 5 stars Anks for great read!, 14 Sep 2012
Took a while to get into it, and I must confessed I gave up a few times. Curiosity got the better of me and I finished the book and must say it is absolutely excellent, I hope it does really well. The author's language was very descriptive and very beautiful, the storyline was compelling. Highly recommend.
I think the title is going to be a little off putting giving the similarity with the shades of grey trilogy, don't be fooled - it has no similarity at all.
Looking forward to reading more by he author, would esp love lot know about what happens next with Devon, Cass, and all the other characters!

4.0 out of 5 stars not 50 shades of gray, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Lighter Shade of Gray (Kindle Edition)
a lighter shade of gray would probably put the '50 shades' book well into the dark. i am one person on the planet who wont be reading the dark shades.yes there are readers who like intelligent books like this one. well done- devon

A Lighter Shade of Gray