on 9 May 2011
The Spinward Fringe series is a fascinating insight into a partially explored galaxy where humans have expanded not only their reach, but their technical expertise. This doesn't, however appear to have affected their seemingly self destructive ability for genocidal cruelty, to the point where it's man versus man versus machine versus an amalgamation of the two.
A thoroughly engrossing read - I still don't have a clue where this series is going, there are so many unpredictable twists, turns and surprising scenarios.
As with previous reviews, the editing does mean that this misses out on a 5 star review, purely for the unwarranted spelling mistakes.
Maybe the author could ask his loyal readers to perform that task, of which I'm sure there are many and fast becoming 'die-hard'.
Can't wait for the next one!
on 16 May 2012
I picked up on the first book in this series because it was free.

What I expected : A book about some guys and their wayward missions in space

What I got: A book about some guys / girls and their wayward missions in space along with some great character development and highly descriptive space opera.

I read onto the second book hoping for a continuation and was almost heart broken to find it to be able different characters and ships. Later research showed that Broadcast 0 was a prequal.

After some further reading and a new set of characters I was quickly back into the world and up to date on whats going on.

At times it seems alot like the author makes up the plot as he goes along. Which is both a positive and negative. The positive side is that it often has things changing and surprising you in new and different ways.

The Downside is that occasionaly things might happen that have little to no bearing on the actual plot (or so it might seem)

Most of the characters are really great and imaginative and very likable even if you only like to dislike them.

One or two of the characters seem a little bland but otherwise imaginative.

There is a slight sense that the main characters are imortal (One of them even outright survives dying because hes just that awesome)

The main lead characters are a little perfect though there are definate flaws. Jake is a hardass bounty hunter who at heart wants to make the Galaxy free, he also has a bad temper and might just shoot someone who crosses him (or just leave them to a fate worse than death)

The universe itself seems to work based of non explained science. Which really works. I find if your going to make a book scientificly acurate make sure you do it right or not at all and Lalonde has made the right choice here. And aside from a few errors (ships skidding in space)which seemed to vanish pretty quickly.

I have found the books to be imersive and entertaining incorporating parts of both space conflict and ground conflict.

Overall the series provides a great read just don't read them all at once. One or two books at a time is good to ensure the story does not get old fast.
on 6 January 2012
Certainly the best of a great series so far,
also felt like the longest? which was only a good thing. especially after the shortness of Broadcast 5.
Can't wait till the next one.
Only reason it doesn't get 5 stars: typos and misspellings.
besides that, fantastic!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've just devoured all the Spinward Fringe books Lalonde has released to date. The whole series is a gripping page-turner; very enjoyable and engaging throughout. I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars is the editing, which in places is quite dreadful. I sincerely wish Mr Lalonde every success with the continuing series, but I very much hope he'll be in a position to hire a good editor to tighten up the books to date and make the next instalment as slick and professional as it deserves to be.
on 17 May 2011
Couldn't care less about the ocassional typos in the books. Managed to ignore them easily as the stories in this series as so engrossing and immersive. Read the entire archive back to back, couldn't put it down for even one day. If you like epic scifi that's easy to read then this certainly hits the spot. So accesible, great drama, wonderful characters. Can't believe I now have to wait for the next installment. Hurry it up Randolph!!! Please don't make us wait too much longer!!!!
on 5 December 2012
God my late husband would have loved this series! He was a great reader himself but with Science Fiction and Fantasy Epics, we liked to share them so I used to read them aloud to him - in bed. Since I read Origins, I have been reading every book, out loud to myself, every night and have had the greatest of difficulty finding time to sleep! I am absolutely addicted and am dreading coming to the end of Broadcast 7 and having to wait for another 2 years for another.

I have been in love with Jonas Valent since the beginning and have been falling for Jacob Valance ever since. I kind of picture him looking like my late husband so am glad the colour of Ayan's hair has changed to blonde which makes her slightly more like me. As you can imagine, I have been desperate for Ayan and Jacob to sort out thier problems and have laughed and cried about them over and over again.

As the title says, I am only half way through Broadcast 6 but felt that I wanted to write something about it now, having read the other reviews. The grammar etc mistakes are a wee bit annoying but they don't spoil the most amazing series that I have read in years. I agree with a previous reviewer about the 'couple' business. This crops up again and again eg. couple trips, couple people instead of couple 'of' trips, couple 'of' people.Another thing, has anybody else noticed how many people have 'crooked grins'? Nearly every character has had a crooked grin at some point. The last time it was a 'crooked sideways grin' which was a little bit of a change. Makes me wonder exactly what a crooked grin is.

I am at the point where the poor old Triton ia so badly battered that it is completely falling to bits and 'Oz' has put the 'Ghost ship scenario in action'. He's still got 1400 crew left on the ship, which is quite worrying. Meanwhile Jacob, Ayan, Stephanie & Minh etc are leading a bunch of raggle taggle ships, full of refugees from Triton, including Uriels and Ramiels and ships they took from a previous engagement with slave raiders, plus the poor old Samson (which is as badly damaged as the Triton). Jacob, Ayan & Stephanie are in the Clever dream (which is propably the only ship in good running order) and the whole lot have landed on a strange planet, on poisinous ground, in a completely different solar system to the Triton and Minh (or Ronin) & Slick have set off, to try to spy out what is happening to the Triton, at the other side of the Galaxy.

I've probably not made the above very clear but, its a totally soul destroying situation for all of the people who live on Triton and especially for the original crew of the Samson and Jacob, as they have to hide, being badly wanted criminals, all over the Galaxy!

I am hoping that, when I read tonight, I won't be at it too long before the situation starts to iimprove. Otherwise I could be reading all night. All of the books in this series have affected me this way. I'm up when they have a success or things go well for Jacob & Ayan, Stephanie and Frost, Laura and Jason or Ashley or Finn and down when things go wrong.. See, I feel like I know them all personally. I also love Oz, Minh and the lovely head of engineering, Chief Grady.

I don't usually get as involved with the characters in space operas. Just read them, enjoy them or not and forget them when I go on to the next Novel.

Well, I'm sure the above is as clear as mud. I will try to complete the review when I've completed the book. At the moment, no matter what predicaments my favourite characters are in, I am so glad that I have another half of Broadcast 6 & then Broadcast 7, left to read. I am sure I will feel bereft when they are gone.

Please keep writing, as much as possible, Randolph Lalonde!!!!

Having read this back, I have the greatest of sympathy for you about your proof reading. I started trying to proof read the above and have left it after the first few paragraphs. it really is no fun.
on 7 December 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed 'Fragments' - it really rattled along at a great pace and rarely gave me an opportunity to put the book down without feeling somehow cheated. It's pretty non-stop on the action front and none the worse for that.

The whole 'Spinward Fringe' story has me hooked and I feel invested in the main characters. I thoroughly enjoy the world that Randolph Lalonde has created and like the balance between the 'science' and 'fiction' elements of the total package.

Can't wait for Broadcast 7.
on 28 February 2011
If you have gotten to this book, you know things have been going from bad to worse for the crew of the Triton for sometime now.

This book is no exception, and it provides one hell of a stand up melee along the way.

It does a good job of showing that even though corporations are not the nicest of entities, they do sometimes have people working for them that you can consider worthwhile. You get to watch the events of the taking of Triton from the eyes of Major Cumberland which provides a nice counterpoint to the defenders. One of the people he defeats during the intense action even brings about a moment of 'No - wait - did that just happen!'

You even find out who the murderer was aboard the ship which nicely rounds off that plot point and then extends it down a rather unforseen path.

This was a very easy read, and an enjoyable fast paced time - cant wait for book 7.
on 15 June 2014
Ok, first things first, I love the spinward series. I think the plots, tech and people are well thought out. Now for the but, the character of Ayan is so bad it makes me cringe anytime she is involved, and with this book that's a lot, please Randolph let Stephanie take her out. So many strong and believable female characters in this series except the main female lead, every time she is mentioned I think sickly sweet Doris Day character. I just don't get it, so many good characters and you completely mess this one up. Don't get me wrong, I will still keep the series going, but God I pray for the day she gets thrown out the,airlock.
on 2 April 2012
I've plowed through all 7 books in the series in the space of a few weeks and have gone from loving the series to becoming increasingly frustrated.

The first few books in the series felt like they were progressing the overall story universe forwards and the ship and crew had a direction. The later books these segments were relegated to side chapters that didn't really interact with the main storyline of the book.

In this book it feels like he's given up all together on it. there's one single chapter that feels completely out of place in the book involving Alice and the progression of the Armageddon virus. There are some great parts to the story, but they're heavily overshadowed by the feeling that it's not going anywhere. A feeling that's not helped at all by the very disappointing ending.

I'll probably read the next book simply because I really enjoyed the first few in the series and would like to see the conclusion of the story, but if things drag on any longer I'll be forced to give up on the author.