4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Pagan Army by Vaughn Heppner
I enjoyed this book which I bought through Whispernet. To tell the truth I was looking for an absorbing distraction read and bought this on spec, not knowing anything of the period or having read anything by Mr Heppner before.

Published on 30 July 2011 by Phill Evans

Published on 28 April 2012 by WelshWomble

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Pagan Army by Vaughn Heppner, 30 July 2011
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)

The plot is a mixture of search for redemption (the monk), ill starred romance (the Baron and his woman, the monk and his woman and the berserker and the monks woman) and a military history of the siege of Paris by a humongous army of Danish vikings. It rolls along quite nicely and reflects the conflict between "barbarian" savagery and early medieval Frankish "civilization" (and showing how neither word reflects the people involved completely even at the time.)

Mr Heppner is obviously well studied in his period and many small details are included which help absorb the reader although he does indulge in the author-as-history-teacher trap sometimes when the "voice" of the text explains details in unecessary depth (sometimes, as a reader, it's nice not to have everything on a plate, to have to do a little googling to find out stuff...)

Overall a good and entertaining historical romp. My only major criticism is that the book lacked pre-publication proof reading with several spelling and grammar errors which disrupted the flow of the read. Still, if I had bought this as a full-price paperback I wouldn't have been disappointed.

Phill

2.0 out of 5 stars Why bother getting to like any of the characters? Theres no point., 28 April 2012
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of the star soldier series by Vaughn Heppner and enjoyed them. While I was waiting for "Star Fortress" to be written I thought I would try some more of his work and whats better than a fictional viking romp through Europe? This is the first book I have read that when I finished, I was physically angry for spending the cash to read this, and mislead due to the excellence of his other books.

The characters Vaugh Heppner had created for this book have so much potential to elevate a very mediocre story to a compelling one. Unfortunatly it feels like once Mr Heppner gets going, he gets bored with his project so he polishes it off quickly with a "and they lived happily ever after",all we were missing here is a modern emote smileyface in the book.
What is the point in building up our berserker Heming within the story, then imply that he gets killed off during the seige without a further mention? It would have been better to not include Heming at all but focus more time and energy on the Priest / Knight / Maiden storyline. But once again they have a dissatisfying conclusion.

I feel guilty writing so negatively about a persons hard work but not every book written by great authors gets published, for good reasons! This feels alittle like a cash-in and I would not recommend this particular work of Vaugh Heppner to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars solid but unspectacular historical fare., 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
This book tells of a Viking raid into France and follows the actions of some protagonists on either side. The story or the general jist of an attacker against a defender has been told many times by many other authors and Vaughn Heppners incarnation of the viking history is not on a par with Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series or Giles Kristian's Raven series. All in this is an average book worth picking up and reading when available at a low Kindle Price. For more indepth telling of the viking age stick with Cornwell or Kristian

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be a good read but not one that I could not put down. It was enjoyable but . not riveting

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 Sep 2012
D. J. Hull "D Hull" (Lincoln England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
What a great read.I am an avid historical fiction fan and this book I found to be an excellent read.It was in the league of Kristian Giles and the personalities came through with true to life thoughts and feelings.I really enjoyed the berserker Hemming and would love to hear more of him.
I am amazed this author isn't more well known.Keep writing the historical fiction you are good are it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
Based on the earlier reviews that I had read, my expectations were accurately set and I enjoyed it. I'm interested in history, especially ancient and medieval sieges and campaigns so this was right up my street. The historical facts and amount of research that has gone into the story gives me the impression that the author is a genuine history buff, which I liked. The characters were interesting but could have done with more development. The number of spelling mistakes in it must be quite high as I noticed too many to mention. Also, the book ends pretty abruptly in my opinion. But, as a short read, it was good fun and worth the money and I like to support up and coming writers/ self publishers.

5.0 out of 5 stars not for the squimish, 1 July 2012
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
Bought this on a whim as had never heard of the author before.

I read a lot of historical fiction and it is pleasant to find an author who doesn't shy away from the atrocities committed by looting armies in the past. Rules of engagement were a lot different than they are nowadays - Casesar's quote 'war gives the right to the victors to impose whatever conditions they want to the vanquished' sums it up.

Plenty of action and excellent battle scenes and vivid descriptions of how the pagan armies conducted their warfare. Went ahead and bought 2 more books from this author

Read it you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect reading, 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Great Pagan Army (Kindle Edition)
This is the first of Vaughn books I have read, to be honest I had not heard of him. I am so glad I have now. The book is a great piece of work, regarding Franks and Danes. There is one story but divided between different people.
I thouroughly enjoyed my time with this book and will definetly be downloading others.

The Great Pagan Army