5.0 out of 5 stars The Zombie Survival Guide - a review
A very comprehensive book which manages to fit in all the relevant information you may require (when, not if, zombies rise up and plague the land) without being too lengthy or tedious.

Published on 8 July 2009 by sb

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend your money on something else
Published 3 months ago by Pittman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Zombie Survival Guide - a review, 8 July 2009
sb (Lancaster) - See all my reviews

I easily became engrossed in the subject of the book, as it was written in a very digestable manner and found myself thinking about remote locations I could flee to and defend when the inevitable happens. My wife has asked why I have suddenly sharpened all the gardening tools and have a cupboard full of corned beef tins. They were cheap dear, and you never know.

I keep meaning to independantly research all the outbreaks he has chronologically detailed towards the end of the book as a way of staying in touch with reality. Then again, I might be disappointed to find out that they never happened and are just a product of the author's fertile imagination. Perhaps I'll never know, and should keep one eye on the slate roofed sheep hut I know of far from any paths in the Lake District.

Well worth a read for any Zombie fans, and I would also recommend it as an interesting twist on the apocolyptal-survivalist theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, then greater!, 22 Aug 2007
S. Crowder (Osaka, Japan) - See all my reviews
This book starts off amusing. I bought this book because a friend mentioned it once. I had no idea what to expect.

After reading the first few pages, I was amused. I thought it was funny how the author was taking it so seriously - after all, it's zombies!

Then I read a bit more, and I thought hmm this is kind of a bit boring now, because it's obviously not written (directly) as a humorous book. I read a few more pages and put it down, but within an hour I was back reading it again. Eventually I simply couldn't put it down.

As soon as you mentally make the jump from realising this isn't a (directly) humorous book, to this is a very insightful and fascinating book, both chilling and at the same time exciting, you'll find compared to normal fiction it offers a unique feeling of intrigue, awe and fear. Sure, zombies are slow and easy to kill, but one nibble and you're a gonna.

Once I had finished the book, I (regrettably) gave it to a friend, after animatedly telling them some of the fascinating and unprecidented facts about defense against the living dead. I couldn't stop talking about it!

I am tempted to buy this book again because it's a great book to go back to and re-read sections of. I also bought world war Z after this, which is almost equally good reading (I'd say this book is slightly more interesting though).

This book is not a horror book. It is a practical and logical step by step guide to survival. If you like to think and analyse dangerous situations, this book is for you. If you like to be surprised and intrigued by some of the ingenious methods of survival, this book is for you. If you like zombies, this book is for you. If the thought of 'what if zombies were real, what would we do?' sounds even vaguely interesting, this book is for you.

Buy it. It's not expensive. It will provide you with plenty of entertainment.

To address the issues of some other reviewers:

I didn't find the author to repeat himself any more than was necessary. Each chapter was clearly defined and I didn't find myself skimming through later chapters to skip things that had already been mentioned.

The fact that the stories at the end of the book were believable is testament to the author's ability as a writer to predict human behaviour to the point of making his writings completely belivable. This is also apparently in World War Z, which develops the stories further.

I wouldn't say this book is a waste of money. It entertained me for many hours, and what I took away from it entertained me for many more. Afterwards I read it I often found myself thinking about it, as well as mentioning it to friends. Rare for any fiction book.

The back part of the book is apparently the best. While I have no comment about whether it's true or not, I read that peoples sheer enjoyment of that section is apparently what spawned the other book, world war Z.

I agree that this book could have been taken with irony. I was expecting it and as I wrote above, when I found it slightly boring when it didn't appear. As soon as you take the book for what it is, you can quickly begin enjoying it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars When there's no more room in hell..., 20 April 2007
Icy Sedgwick "Icy" (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
Beautifully blurring the line between fiction and non-fiction, this book is an absolute must. I say this because I could barely bring myself to put it down for the entire time I was reading it.

Reinventing the zombie origins, Brooks ascribes the cause of the 'undead plague' to a virulent virus named Solanum, which attacks the brain and allows it to keep functioning even after the organs have shut down and the body begins to decompose. Feeling no pain, and having no awareness of the world around them except for the food on offer, Brooks' zombies are a modern evolution of the zombies on display in Romero's 1968 cult classic, Night of the Living Dead.

Brooks breaks down all the elements that you'll need to survive should a zombie outbreak occur near you. Covering how to stock your house in case of attack, defending it should it become your besieged fortress, going on the run if it all goes wrong, to going on the offensive to take out the undead, he's incredibly thorough about everything from weapons to transport, locations and worse-case scenarios. He even includes a section on how you can survive in the face of a full-scale Zombie Apocalypse. Ray Mears would be proud.

At the end of the book, Brooks points to apparent 'historical' occurrences of zombie outbreaks as a way of showing how the growing threat is being covered up or mishandled. It's testament to his skill as a writer that you can almost believe that they're completely true.

It's an unlikely premise but at least having read this book, you can feel confident that you'll know what to do if the dead ever begin to rise. After all, as the good books says - use your head, and cut off theirs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must-read starting point for zombie genre fans..., 19 Nov 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Max Brooks' Zombie survival guide is much more serious book than you think when you see its title.

Of course it's fictional because as far as we know (or as governments what us to think) there are no real zombies out there.
But this parody/satire is well written, extensive and rich in details.
It is emulating some of civil defense manuals, instructional and professional and while you read it, it's not strange to keep remind yourself zombie threat is not for real.

Book is always entertaining, describing almost any situation you could find yourself during zombie invasion, from small incidents to all-around-the globe zombie outbreak.

Amusing guide is divided in two parts; in first, zombie physiology, weapons advised or not advised to be used against zombies, tactics and strategy to defeat them are discussed while in second part our encounters with zombies (Recorded Attacks) through human history are listed in chronological order.

This part of book is the most interesting because each of these attacks is so interesting described although short and most of them could be re-worked into much larger stories.
It would be great for Mr Brooks to think about it.
Also you can be sure that for some them you will be asking yourself are they fictional at all or maybe even start looking in history books because it reminded you about something long time read.

In the end don't forget 10 rules used when you need to fight zombies:
1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
4. Blades don't need reloading.
5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

Looking underneath the fictional theme and funny title this book is great satire, well written and should be starting point for all readers interested in zombie genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 Dec 2007
I've always been interested in zombies for some reason ever since watching the newer Dawn of the Dead (according to this book those zombies are completely unrealistic, and the zombies in the old Dawn of the Dead are much more accurate). So I saw this book and purchased it. I have read this book several times over now, and I never lose interest in it. The way it's written makes you think there is a 100% genuine chance that your neighbours are going to shuffle up the drive, wailing as they go. The book describes so many different aspects of zombie survival, including the behaviour of a true zombie, ways of turning a home in to a mini fortress and even goes into great detail on each different type of gun, and how effective it is against your undead foe. Whenever I walk around my house now, I subconsciouly check that the residents of my street are not undead (which is particularly hard because most of them are 80+). Sad, I know, but that's what this book does to you.

It actually made me double check I knew where the key to the cupboard where I keep my shotgun and cartridges was.

I'd recomend this book to anyone, whether they're interested in zombies or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Book of the Dead, 30 Dec 2005
Like many others, Horror is my favourite Genre of not only films but books. The type of Horror I like is the idea of Zombies - the dead rising from the grave to wreak havoc and feasting on the flesh of the ignorant humans populating the earth - and soon the earth is theirs. Max Brooks aims to educate the reader with how to handle a Zombie pandemic and protect themselves from these blood curdling ghouls. The book itself states that ''it is a book that could save your life'' and it sets itself out to do so. The writer does not give any hints that any of this is 'make believe' and merely satirical which we know it is and gives the impression he is being 'deadly' serious and this is what makes this book so effective. From teaching us of the deadly virus Solanum to zombie attributes, to weapons and clothing and to zombie outbreaks in history- IT HAS THE LOT!
This companion is a MUST for any self confessed Zombie lover or avid horror fan. Max Brooks has indeed created a MONSTER!

5.0 out of 5 stars So detailed it feels real, 30 Mar 2011
Kartones (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This book was written before World War Z so I have been able to compare things on both books in inverse order (I've readed first WWZ).

This book tries to be a "serious" guide to defend yourself from zombies. As simple as it sounds :D

It is sometimes funny, and has a bit of black humour on it, but mostly tries to be as serious and applied as possible.

It gives all sort of advices, from how to defend your home to how to establish a contingency plan, how to "attack" and raid zombie-infested zones, tactics, and some historical zombie attacks (backgrounds for the supposed guide ;)

So basically we can say the book is 85% a manual of "how to live fighting zombies on a daily basis" and 15% a collection of zombie short-stories themed in the past.

The guide is really well documented, so much that a movie director wanting to do a zombie movie could use this guide as a manual of "how to make a zombie movie". Some tactis explained are funny but clever ones.

Some of the stories are really well thought and even scarier than the future depicted in World War Z (the one of the slaves ship is my favourite), and look like the seed that Brooks planted for WWZ (or maybe was a "playground" to see how well could he tell small zombie tales?).

If you enjoyed World War Z, or just like zombie movies, go grab this book before the apocalypse comes!

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend your money on something else, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after enjoying my read of 'World War Z'. I assumed (wrongly) that it would be a tongue-in-cheek guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse. While there is the odd dry remark that could pass for humour the material is written as if a 'z' outbreak had already occurred and that this was an essential guide to avoiding death. I got bored after reading about 51% of its tips, tricks and tactics on my Kindle. Why, I asked myself, am I reading lists of essential tools and the pros and cons of my potential arsenal when this is a companion piece to a work of fiction. Best avoided in my opinion - spend your money on a proper story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it twice!, 9 Sep 2007
M. Collis (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
When I was at university my housemate and I would often ponder what would we do right at that moment if a zombie outbreak occured - what weapons would we choose? where would we go and hide? and the like. This book is fantastic for any other like-minded people! It is an actual step-by-step survival guide in case of a zombie breakout and covers every eventuality which makes it really funny - the author sounds insane because it has been so seriously written - this man has gone into some serious thought about every aspect of a zombie apocolypse and it cracks me up.

Someone "borrowed" this from me and never returned it and I'm actually buying it again now - that's how good it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 24 Sep 2007
Mr. B. Mckimm - See all my reviews
This book is perfect for anyone, like myself, who walks into a room and instantly scans for anything that could be used as a bludgeon on an undead attacker and for anyone, like myself, who has a plan for any scenario when zombies finaly do rise. This book answers all the questions you have asked yourself and even some you would have never thought of. My long term zombie plan went straight out of the window when i read this book. With the help of Max Brooks and his amazing book I have an all new plan that i am certain will hold up in any class of outbreak.

Now we just have to wait.