5.0 out of 5 stars NE-YO the Prince of POP
Published on 1 Nov 2010 by Robert S. Whitaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
This has been one of my most highly anticipated releases of the year, and now after several listens i feel a little underwhelmed.
Upon the release of Beautiful Monster I thought Ne-Yo had completely lost his way, however this is how i initially felt about Closer. But after a few listens I was completely hooked. Brilliant, funky pieces of club pop.
I have been a...
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by Ali

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars NE-YO the Prince of POP, 1 Nov 2010
Robert S. Whitaker (Lakenheath,U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
NE-YO has produced yet another stellar CD. I was one of the nay-sayers three CDs ago,complaining that NE-YO was simply a Michael Jackson wannabe.I own all four of his CDs and I have to admitt that I was so wrong. Yeah, NE-YO,like so many R&B singers today does borrow from Michael, but he definately has his own style and talent. He is one of the best young song writers we have today. Libra Scale is his best to date, and it appears that NE-YO is getting better and better with every new release. I love every track, so there is no need for a track break down. One other thing I love about NE-YO, there is no AUTOTUNE to be found on this CD. Thank God for that.I already know that I will be wearing this CD out, I've played it all day today. One message for any NE-YO haters out there: wake up and enjoy this fine young talent now!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Voice In A Million, 6 Nov 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Welcome back Mr Smith! In more ways than one! With Ne-Yo's new
album 'Libra Scale' he seems to have shucked off the ill-fitting
raiments of the One-Gloved-One which, to a substantial degree,
marred his 2008 release 'Year Of The Gentleman'. Although there
are still small shades of his spirit-guide in evidence they do not
suffocate his own inimitable (and highly likeable) vocal gift.

'Libra Scale' positively glistens and glows with five-star style.
There are ten songs in the bunch and the greater part of its
beauty rests in the laid-back, unhurried and exemplary production.
There's a cutesy concept, of sorts, running through the album
which might have been more easily graspable had Def Jam deigned
to include the lyrics in the supporting printed material but
what fell by the wayside in terms of my own understanding of
the unifying narrative probably doesn't matter that much at
the end of the day. It's the music and the singing that count
here and both are glorious!

It's a largely mid-paced collection, the mellow arrangements
supporting our hero's effortlessly mellifluous vocals with
unerringly good grace and taste. 'One In A Million' is a
marvellous example of a master at the top of his game.
The lithe, gently funky and understated percussion; consummately
crafted harmonies and captivating melody frame one of the finest
vocal performances of his career so-far.
The chorus is a real cracker! Seriously beautiful.

Opening track 'Champagne Life' is a classy piece of work too.
As a night out on the tiles looms large we are led by the hand
into a glittering city soundscape full of optimism and romantic
possibility. An 'On The Town' for a new generation.
The harmonic structure of the composition is stunning.

'Cause I Said So' and the splendid 'Beautiful Monster' come close
to being the most danceable numbers in the set (trust me I tried -
much to Mrs Wolf's amusement!) The latter, with its infectiously
bubbling synth ostinato, seems destined to become a major club anthem
(it probably already has but my teeth and tail have always gotten in
the way of being permitted entry to the Capital's coolest nightspots
to know for sure what's hot and what's not!)

Final track 'What Have I Done' finds our guide making the most of
his perfectly-formed falsetto. He makes it all sound so easy which,
of course, is what makes it so magical too!

'Libra Scale' is a fine album.
Ne-Yo has a voice in a million.
It's good to have him back.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King Of Melody !, 1 Nov 2010
Mr. R. Haden "hdrob9" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
Libra Scale, is the follow up to Year Of The Gentleman ( which is one of my favourite albums, of all time ! ) Ne Yo, as produced another superb album ! Fantastic melodies, yet again. My favourite tracks are : Champagne Life, ( brilliant opener to the album ) One In A Million, Genuine Only, Cause I Said So, & final track, What Have I Done ? All these tracks are so infectious !
The biggest compliment i can pay Ne Yo, is that he's the only person, that could come close to Michael Jackson, my favourite artist of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, but could have been a lot better..., 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
First of all, I felt the concept for this album is a unique and excellent idea and was a brave one for Ne-Yo to attempt. But I think by the time it came to its release, many of the things we were promised as fans were left unfulfilled...

We were promised 12 tracks, which turned out to be 10 with four of the previously announced tracks removed, including a song called 'She Is' which Ne-yo in an interview said was one of his greatest productions. What was going to be a full movie, ended up as 3 extended music videos, and the tracks on the finished album do not clearly tell the story and actually leave some confusion in terms of the concept.

As for the tracks, I would say there is at least five excellent tracks on there in Champagne Life, Telekinesis, One In A Million, Cause I Said So and Beautiful Monster. These give the album the quality it retains. However, I would say most of the other tracks are average and considering I have heard literally numerous outstanding unreleased Ne-Yo tracks on YouTube, these for me dwell on unsatisfactory for his own standards.

Overall, it gets 4/5 for what it is, but by not including consistently good ballads throughout that tell the Libra Scale concept, or the movie that was to support these tracks, it remains a good album that for me could have been so much better. In short, not as good as the outstanding 'Year Of The Gentleman'.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of RnB's last hope, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: Libra Scale (MP3 Download)
It's really nice to hear Ne-yo hasn't left the RnB field for the more dance/pop music that most urban artists are doing now days. These songs have very good melodies, very well written. "Cause I said so" is very good and sounds like a tribute to Michael J, "What have I done", "one in a million" and "monster" are my fave. Would have liked more then 10 songs, but he'll probably release a deluxe version later like they're all doing. Still worth getting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
I have been a huge fan of Ne-Yo since In My Own Words, I can never decide if this or Year Of The Gentlemen are his best. All of his albums have been outstanding in their own way. All have had a great mixture of slow, smooth numbers and more lively, bouncier tracks, and Libra Scale is no exception. It does lean more towards the mid-tempo tracks but that is in no way a bad thing.
I can honestly say that there isn't a bad track on the album. The singles in particular are all really good. For me Telekinesis is another stand out. But none of these tracks make me want to listen to them over and over. Admittedly, that sort of habit isn't for everyone. But that has always been one of my favourite things about Ne-Yo, I could happily listen to his albums on repeat for days. This doesn't give that feeling.
It has to be said that his vocals have come a long way on this album, by far his best. The production values on offer are also fantastic. But much of it all seems to strongly echo Michael Jackson.
Again, this isn't entirely a bad thing, all of his albums have had a strong MJ influence and it hasn't been a hinderance. But for me, its a bit too heavy this time around. Perhaps this is Ne-Yo paying his respect to MJ and I have completely missed the point.
I do believe that Ne-Yo is the best MJ substitute we're going to have for a long time. He is without question the most talented young song writer around and he is one of my favourite artists of the last decade.
This album is definately worth buying, I dont think it will convert the nay sayers but it should keep the fans ticking over until the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a singer, what a dancer, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
Love it, I am pretty new to this singer but I think he is great but to watch him on video is something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best album yet!, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
My Wife's favourite Soul/R&B singer! A great voice, and none of the controversy that seems to surround far less talented singers.

Prepare a nice meal, get your special someone a glass of wine and watch them melt to the sound of this young mans music.

You can tell he has matured from his first albums - and the music just keeps getting better and better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Top top album, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
Libra scale is one to by, top top album,always playing this album at work as i do home, top quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant album, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Libra Scale (Audio CD)
My favourite singer, just a fab album, songs out of this world, I have it playing in the car, do recommended this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Libra Scale
Libra Scale by Ne-Yo (Audio CD - 2010)