I've never used a deep fat fryer before. So this is all new to me after 43 years! My Sister bought me this for my birthday as I love my belly!

It's not exactly silver as stated but a very light grey in colour (see my uploaded pictures!). The fryer body is made from plastic and it isn't heavy to lift at all. It comes with rubber feet so it doesn't move on the kitchen worktop if knocked accidently. It has a safety lid which locks down well and can only be opened by pressing a button. The lid is vented for steam and has a filter built into it and can also be removed for cleaning. There is also a small icondensation collection drawer at the back which will need to be emptied out every other use. The non stick well that you fry your food in has a minimum and maximum oil level mark inside it on the right wall. I use two bottles of oil to bring the level between these two marks, so just under two litres! The basket is deceiving in it's size I would say. I can fit a lot more chips, fish, chicken in there than at first thought! Definitely enough for two northerners and three southerners but no more :)

The basket is well made and feels sturdy enough when transferring food out. The fryer has a simple temperature control dial that goes from 130 to 190 degrees C. There is a diagramatic quick reference guide down the side of the front recommending at what temperatures to cook the most commonly fried food. On the front is a power on light and a green light that when on, shows that the oil is heating up and this light goes off once its upto temp. It only takes a few mins to get to 190, so It's pretty quick! There is no cord storage at all on this fryer in my opinion. It comes with the cord bound by a wire tie as most electrical appliances do. In use there is a lot of steam produced by the fryer which does come out from where the lid forms a seal with the body. It does say cool wall body but it does get hot and of course the lid gets very hot indeed so common sense would say do not under any circumstances leave unattended or let children anywhere near this!! I've cooked chips (of course), fish and chicken to date with cracking results! I'm going to check my library of unused cookbooks out for some ideas!

So, as long as you keep safety in mind this is a great device.

Now to work out the colonel's secret recipie. . .
review image review image
on 5 December 2010
Its OK for the money. Suitable for a two person meal and no more.
It is actually grey colour and by no stretch of the imagination silver. Despite the cool wall outer it does get hot on the outside. Certainly enough to give you a surprise. It feels fairly flimsy but so far its all holding together and works very efficiently. Fill it with good quality oil , anything else will leave your kitchen smelling .There is no timer , but that is no problem as this is not the sort of appliance anyone in their right mind would leave unattended.
on 1 July 2013
Over the last 30 or more years my wife and I have had about 10 fryers. Some lasted a couple of years, others a lot longer but my last one was becoming impossible to clean so my wife decided to buy one of these - not from Amazon I should stress but from Tesco where it cost quite a bit more.

It has the same 2 Litre oil capacity as the last one but holds a lot less food - just about enough chips for 2 people. As other reviewers have mentioned it has no rubber seal on the lid which makes it easier to clean, but coupled with the fact that it is secured by only one catch (previous had 2) it leaks all over the place and particularly around the handle when it is anything other than lightly loaded. In fact it is so bad that there is never any moisture in the little tray in the back as it all leaks out. As far as I am concerned there are two main reasons for buying a fryer - it won't overheat and catch fire if left unattended and it won't fill the kitchen with oily steam and smells. Well it certainly fails the last test in a big way.

As others have remarked it is not very "cool wall" and today the flimsy handle for the lid disintegrated after only around 3 months and about a score or so uses. I have had one or two where the design left something to be desired, but as a Graduate Engineer I have to say this is an appalling design, and I was lucky not to have hot oil splashed all over me when the handle broke and the loaded basket fell back into the pan. One final point, the thermostat reads at least 5C low so at 170 it is nearer 180.

All in all a disaster and I would have rated it "no stars" if I could. Unless I got a bad one, I can only think the people who like it only do chips for one, and then not very often.

Peter
on 9 December 2011
This deep fat fryer is excellent for making homemade chips. It is very quick and safe. Also easy to clean after use. Only downside is that there is no storage area for the cable. Would definitely recommend it though.
on 15 April 2013
A very good fryer for very little cost. Cooks food fast, looks better than in the picture and it has proved reliable. Very easy to clean.
on 2 November 2015
Used this several times now and what a dangerous item it can be. When lowering the basket in to the boiling oil you MUST LOWER BIT BY BIT MUCH SLOWER THAN NORMAL as the oil bubbles up and if you do not lift the basket quickly boiling oil floods out of the top down the sides and over the work surface. Having the lid closed is not a sensible thing as oil and steam make it almost impossible to see whats going on in the pan through the window, and before you say anything YES I have used several chip pans before and did not have this problem. This is an accident waiting to happen. I now have to clean the entire pan as the outside is covered in chip oil as well as the front, top of work surfaces and the floor where it dripped. Try cleaning boiling oil up it does make the hands rather hot. Would NEVER touch this style of pan again.
on 6 November 2015
Possibly my mistake but this fryer is very very small!! Did I say small?
You might get 2 portions of chips out of it if you are one of Santa's elves!
The description wasn't particularly clear in the write up! It may have changed now, but I'm far from stupid.
I laughed when I removed it from the box, and when I opened the lid I found a miniature basket inside.
Could've given it to my daughter for her play kitchen it was so small, but I sent it back!
on 7 April 2011
I am really impressed with this deep fryer, it seems really well made and cooks perfectly. Very good value for money. Would certainly recommend.
on 20 September 2015
Having to dispose of my old fryer, and my hubby wanting chips for his tea, I thought this fryer would be just as good as my old one. Wrong! Its ok and cooks well, but hassle cleaning and emptying the oil, as the oil continer cant be removed ......... Its also not dishwasher proof. Will see how we go.
on 7 June 2012
I have owned this fryer for about 8 months now, Yes it does great chips but there is no rubber to seal the lid, not only do the cooking smells escape so does red hot sream and when it gets older it gets worse. the hot steam puddles then dribbles down the side of the fryer so you get a nice puddle of greasy steam on your work top Great!!
I have owned many fryers over the years and this has never happened with any of them.
VERY MESSY AND A BIT DANGEROUS. DON'T BUY!!
Get something better instead I'M going to.