4.0 out of 5 stars 'very best' or 'portrait'?, 19 Aug 2010
this is not a review or critique of this particualr album. rather advise if one is thinking of buying a 2cd arvo part compilation album. currently there are 2 cds on the market. 'the very best' by EMI and 'portrait' by NAXOS. both are worthy buys with excellent renditions. but which to buy? this is released to mark the composers 75th birthday. 'portrait' was released to celebrate parts 70th birthday.
if one prefers parts choral music to his orchestral, then this is the one to buy. on the other hand if you, like i, prefer his orchestral over his choral then id recommend 'portrait' by NAXOS.
both albums have choral and orchestral pieces but are weighed for one or the other as i have explained above.
either way you will be listening to the late 20th centurys finest classical composer with the most heartfelt music you will ever hear, connecting us to the divinity within us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning about Arvo Part, 31 May 2013
P. Wright - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of Arvo Part (MP3 Download)
When I downloaded The Very Best of Arvo Part I did not realise I would get such a diverse offering of soloists, groups, orchestras or conductors. Each track was beautifully played with the right choice of presenters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like anything I have heard before., 24 April 2013
It may sound strange but my hands go cold when I listen to this. When agitated my hands go warm . In other words, it is peace bringing to me. Christ centred music. Not like anything I have heard before but I ain't no expert. Well packaged .

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Discovery, 20 Mar 2014
I have not considered buying an Arvo Part CD before because the only piece that I have ever heard by him has been his Spiegal im
Spiegal, which although is a beautiful piece, I found it personally a little repetitive. I then heard one of his other works on the
radio and was astonished by it's complexity and beautiful harmonies. I immediately purchased this CD from Amazon which was an
excellent price and contains many of his other works and found a new world of wonderful music. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 13 Mar 2014
F. Sweet - See all my reviews
Part is more than brilliant.. and I can't wait to visit the amazing new museum being created in his honour..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Arvo Part (MP3 Download)
Possibly the most beautiful, haunting, emotional piece of music you could ever wish to listen to, played by two wonderful musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Very Best Of Arvo Part (MP3 Download)
Just beautiful, stunning. Perfect for relaxing, background music, walking, reading. A little bit of everything too; instrumental, choir. A great addition to any audio library.

5.0 out of 5 stars magical!, 4 Dec 2011
WES "wh" (Devon England) - See all my reviews
There is no other word for this man's music. A beautiful album.
The design on the cover is pretty cool too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to relax to, 11 May 2012
I simply love the music. Great for calming down in a traffic jam or to relax to in an evening whilst reading my favourite literature.

The Very Best Of Arvo Part