5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and maybe a classic in it's genre, 14 Oct 2011
David Sandilands "DSNet" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Compass/Kum'Pas (MP3 Download)
I can't review this album objectively, it's been an almost private affair for so many years now.
Is it a lost eighties classic? It might well be, especially for fans of Teardrop Explodes and/or OMD. In fact I'd not realised until recently that the founder members of Dalek I Love You were guitarist Alan Gill and bassist David Balfe, later becoming 2/3 of Teardrop Explodes along with Julian Cope.
If you like music that's left of field, odd, quirky and inventive then you should check this out. I wish I had noticed when this came out on cd as I only have the it on cassette (!). Buying it as an mp3 download is great but may seem overpriced to the just curious.

The self-titled follow-up is also good though not as wonderful as this in my highly biased and personal opinion (and none of the original lineup are on it so really it's a different band). Now that one I have on vinyl...if only I had a working record player.

Here's the bio from AMR by Jason Ankeny:

Like so many memorable bands of the post-punk era, Dalek I Love You emerged from Liverpool, England, rising out of the Eric's Club scene which also launched Echo and the Bunnymen and the Teardrop Explodes. Formed from the ashes of the group Radio Blank, Dalek I Love You was founded in November 1977 by guitarist Alan Gill and bassist David Balfe; while Balfe wished to call the band the Daleks, Gill preferred Darling I Love You. Upon reaching a compromise, the duo recruited keyboardist Dave Hughes, synth player Chris "Teepee" Shaw and a drum machine, completing the first of many fluid line-ups.

After issuing a handful of singles experimenting with electronic pop sounds, Balfe exited to join Big in Japan (later settling in the Teardrop Explodes), and by the release of their 1980 debut Compass Kum'pass, Dalek I Love You was already splintering: Hughes soon departed to join Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, and before long Gill reunited with Balfe in the Teardrop Explodes. However, in 1983 a line-up of Dalek I Love You comprising none of the original members issued a self-titled LP on the Korova label; as simply Dalek I, they also released the cassette-only Naive in 1985 before finally calling it a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Classic of its Time, 13 Feb 2013
C. Miller (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Compass Kum'pas [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Like the other reviewers, this has stayed with me since I bought the LP in Glasgow in 1980. Stunning, moving, stripped down electronica. Will always be in my top five albums. Engaging, fragile, searing, beautiful. Well worth the MP3 download price given that the long since deleted CD fetches enormous amounts of money when one occasionally surfaces !

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Compass/Kum'Pas (MP3 Download)
Perhaps one of the greatest albums of it's age. One that has been with me for thirty odd years and still has the capacity to move me after all that time. It should be regarded as a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Compass/Kum'Pas (MP3 Download)
It really is great. A forgotten, overlooked classic. Moody, atmospheric, euphoric. Still sounds as fresh as it did all those years ago.

Compass/Kum'Pas