Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 10 December 2011
For about 15 years I have used another brand of convertible glove employing windstopper material and they are getting to the useful end of their life. I could not source a replacement from the same company, but whilst searching on Amazon I was delighted to come across the Marmot brand, which seemed to be offering the same usefulness and ability. And they do. The material, if anything, seems marginally thicker, and a nice touch is the flip over mitten portion is held in place by a small magnet, rather than velcro, which I found can snag knitted materials.

The clue to the effectiveness of these fingerless convertible gloves is in the word "windstopper". And they do what it says - it is almost impossible for cold wind to penetrate them, so your hands stay remarkably warm even in sub-zero temperatures.

The accepted opinion is that mittens, generally, are the warmer design than traditional gloves, other things being equal. However, mittens are not very user friendly where you need to retain a high degree of finger flexibility, such as using a camera. Having to completely remove both mittens in order to use my cameras is really a no-no.

I have found that walking around in temperatures down to -10C (they should afford protection below this, but I can not comment on this personally) windstopper material keeps my hands comfortably warm where, for the most part, I use them in "mitten mode" and only flip over the mitten portion when required to use my cameras. Because my hands up to the first joint of every finger (the thumbs are permanently covered up) are always covered, the cold to which my fingers are briefly exposed is barely noticed and the rest of my hands don't get any chance to cool down.

They have real leather palms to aid gripping.

Other than my old pair of windstopper gloves, before alighting on these Marmots I had tried other types using a well known insulation material, but I found these were not that efficient at keeping out chill winds and I felt I'd wasted my money.

I don't know if you believe £30 is expensive for a pair of convertible gloves, but when you consider they WORK, it is definitely a price worth paying, and from Amazon, the price includes free delivery.
on 13 December 2014
I'm the kind of person who never buys the same thing twice. If I break or lose something, then I always replace it with something different and, hopefully, better. I can't see the point of spending money to just get what you had before.

Well, after having a pair of these gloves for a couple of years, I had the misfortune to lose one of them today. Because these are the most comfortable and nicest gloves I've ever owned I have broken my own rule and ordered another pair tonight. What more can I say?

One word of advice. They seem to be sized quite small. I would normally wear medium but the large size fits me perfectly.
on 22 December 2015
Lets get to the good stuff first, they fit well, they are really warm, I like the leather on the palm, as a glove to keep you hands warm they are without fault however.....

The whole purpose of these gloves is to allow you to remove the top and have use of your fingers, this they do but not very well. The main issue is the top flap around once they are removed from fingers, there are magnets which in theory hold the top finger part against the back of your hand, and if you don't use your hand they do, but as soon as you move your hand the finger cover comes loose and flaps around, the problem is simply that the magnets are not powerful enough, for me this is a show stopper, the main reason you would get these gloves is to have unhindered access to your fingers and these gloves fail completely on that front (I use them to pick up my dog mess, imagine the top part flapping around whilst trying to collect the mess !), also they are impossible to get off, there are no loops that help you pull them off.

My advise is get gloves with Velcro instead of magnets, these are rubbish
on 7 February 2016
Brilliant product. Very warm and ingenious design. Magnetic clasps are not meant hold firmly in place, just strong enough so that the mittens do not hinder the wearer when using as fingerless.
Highly recommended.
on 30 December 2012
Nice gloves and good value. Nearly 5 star with my only two criticisms being they are slightly small for large and the clever magnets aren't quite strong enough resulting in the mitten pieces coming loose occasionally. Recommended and would by again.
on 25 February 2013
i use these when i walk my mutts(3 labs) great for keeping warm and great when mitts are off for clipping and unclipping their leads and getting treats out of my pocket. they are really warm and well made. well worth the money.
on 1 February 2016
Great product
on 4 January 2016
((o;
on 11 February 2013
I have given this item a 5 purely because I have no idea how they would rate, the reason for this is because they were a gift
for my Brother- in-law who lives in france and does a lot of walking in the Pyrenees and basing it on no negative feedback from
him I am assuming they were suitable for his needs? but dont hold me to that!