on 7 March 2012
My present mouse is a MS Wireless 2000. Microsoft Wireless Mouse 2000 - Grey It's more comfortable than 95% of the other mice that I've tried. It's one fault is that the scroll-wheel isn't ratcheted. This means that the wheel spins freely and causes great agro whenever I'm using Photoshop (zooms in whenever I accidentally nudge it!) or a photo manager program (the next photo -or five- is displayed instead of the one I want to examine!). Whoever thought that a free-spinning scroll-wheel was a good idea should've been dragged out and shot!

I bought the MS Wireless 1000 because it had a ratcheted scroll-wheel & few buttons (since I don't play computer games, I want simplicity!) but, alas, that's its only advantage over my Wireless 2000. The 1000 is a bit smaller than the 2000 model, and, consequently, not nearly as comfortable (a bit smaller and it would qualify as a MOBILE mouse). Dimensions: about 57mm at it's widest point (the 2000 is 67mm), 113mm long (the 2000 is 116mm), and, most importantly, the 1000 is only 40mm high (the 2000 is around 43mm, with a much more pronounced arch which fits more comfortably in the crevice of my palm). Although the dimensions don't sound that great, when the two models are lined up side by side, their difference is remarkable -the Wireless 2000's arch is much more sculpted to fit the average hand. The 2000 also has a rubberized side which makes it easier to pick up.

The MS Wireless 1000, also, doesn't glide as smoothly as the 2000 (which, I think, will cause problems when retouching photos). The 1000 -just like the 2000- did, however, work right out of the box. The previously-installed MS Intllipoint detected it immediately.

The scroll-wheel, for me, is terrible on the 2000 model, but I'll again disable the scrolling in the settings and continue to use it. The 1000 will be stored as a back-up, and my search for the perfect mouse goes on.

--FLASH-- I've found MY almost perfect rodent, the Konig Wireless Optical Mouse (if it had rubberized sides, it would be perfect -FOR ME!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Wireless-Optical-Mouse-Dongle/dp/B000O77UDY/ref=sr_1_159?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344218640&sr=1-159

Don't let the lower specifications put you off. The Konig's performance is fine!
on 5 December 2012
I've used many mouses (?) over the years but Microsoft always seem to produce the best for me. I've used them on both Apple Macs and PCs.

This mouse - the Wireless Mouse 1000 - is my favourite (And I have owned Apple Magic Mouses)

Being essentially wi-fi technology as opposed to the more expensive Bluetooth, doesn't seem to impair performance at all. If fact whereas my Apple mouse would need new batteries every 4-5 weeks, the first set in the Microsoft rodent lasted about a year! This is not an exaggeration, I had to go and dig out the receipt to prove it to myself. OK, they were Duracells and made to last but still a hefty saving on replacements.

Any negatives? Maybe the slightly "coarse" wheel clicks which can make the screen "step" a little too far in scrolling, however don't forget to explore the Control Panel for the Mouse settings where you can make adjustments.

The wireless range is not great. If you have a laptop you'll be fine. A desktop PC with the main unit on the floor and receiver plugged in there might experience drop-outs. I did, so used a USB extension cable to put the dongle on the desk behind the monitor. Works perfectly.

After 18-months of use the plastic has worn smooth in the common places my fingers sit, but in reply to the other comments that the mouse has a cheap feel, I disagree. It's not unnecessarily heavy but has shown no signs of imminent failure. The buttons still work as they should and the Teflon pads underneath are still smooth and have plenty of life left in them.

OK, a long review for a simple item. You can guess I recommend it! :-)
on 15 June 2012
I've had this about three weeks and I'm starting to regret buying such a cheap one.

First of all, I should say that I find the shape of it a little more comfortable to use than my previous one (a Logitech M505 - see my review); but ...

The click on the scroll wheel is too sensitive and, when scrolling rapidly up and down the screen, I'm continually accidentally clicking on the automatic scroll feature. This is becoming a real irritation.

I don't like the friction against the mouse pad. It doesn't at all 'glide', it 'rubs'. In fact, I can clearly hear it moving over the mouse mat even though I have music playing at the moment. It's almost as if it isn't designed to glide.

These two things give a definite impression of the 'cheap and nasty'.

The third irritation - and I'm pretty sure but not hundred-per-cent certain this is caused by the mouse - is that, in the few seconds after scrolling, the screen view is liable to jump up and down a bit.

One last, though minor, thing: the angle of the light is such that, when I turn it over to switch on or off, if I'm not careful I get the light full in the eye. This makes me nervous.

I really should know by now that you only get what you pay for.
on 4 November 2011
Smaller than I realised but thats probably because I didn't read the product dimensions probably. However, works as it should and no complaints with it.
on 8 June 2011
I find this mouse great for use at work because it is large enough to fit my hand well and is therefore comfortable for long periods of use. It works well on any surface and is responsive.
on 22 April 2012
Really pleased with this microsoft mouse and would certainly recommend it to any one as well worth the money. It's a great size for large hands and uses two standard AA batteries which last for ages. It is very simple to set up just plug in the mini USB dongle and you are away - no drivers required.

Cordless laser mice are now widely available - I have used the cheap supermarket ones which are ok for the money but you do only get what you pay for. This microsoft mouse is well made and a pleasure to use.
on 30 March 2015
Having purchased a cheaper Microsoft mouse that kept switching off by itself and would not switch on until after 2-3 attempts, this mouse was absolutely perfect and well worth the little extra cost. I have had no trouble whatsoever, I did not have to download any drivers, just plug in the USB connector and is usable immediately, it is smooth and and very quiet when in operation.
I would definitely recommend this product.
on 27 July 2013
Wanted wireless mice for the office but was looking for a full sized mouse that feels comfortable in the hand.
Basically the same as our old wired Microsoft mice but wireless. This product ticks all the boxes for us.
on 8 November 2012
When choosing a mouse, have always gone for Microsoft. Even in work, I bought my own as the company wouldn't pay for one. I have a weak wrist from constantly doing DTP, but the shape of the mouse helps support this and is very comfortable to use.
on 18 September 2011
An excellent low-cost wireless mouse. It responded well through the mini USB sender.
The feet had a higher friction than my previous mouse, thus making it marginally harder to manipulate, but reducing error when clicking on a small target
A good buy.