1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stuff - mainly., 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Martha Argerich - The Collection 3: Chamber Ensembles (Audio CD)
Having thought of this lady as one of my very favourite pianists, ever since I bought my first LP of her's some 40 years ago, nothing on these discs alters this opinion.

Although she was approaching 70 on disc 6 of this collection, her playing still scintillates like few other performers of much earlier vintage. Her partner (on piano that is!), Nelson Freire, does not disappoint either. In fact all of her colleagues on the set are admirably chosen and give of their finest. The sound also, on all the discs, is excellent.

So why only 4 stars? Well, this relates to the inclusion of a couple of items, which I personally, could have done without.

Two pieces are repeated, the Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances and Ravel's Mother Goose, and I much prefer the later recordings of both. That of course is my own opinion, but I would be very surprised if a majority of listeners would think otherwise. The later Rachmaninov has much more verve and fire about it, which it needs, and I find the percussion in the arrangement of the earlier first Ravel, distracting and thoroughly unecessary. Of course I do not have to listen to these tracks, but I find it a slightly strange decision to include them, thus depriving me of something, arguably, more appropriate to an otherwise lovely collection.

Having said that, my advice is to BUY IT! At 2.50 a disc, at the price I paid, this box is a gift and I'm now sifting through the others on the list.

Martha Argerich - The Collection 3: Chamber Ensembles
Martha Argerich - The Collection 3: Chamber Ensembles by Martha Argerich (Audio CD - 2010)