4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid workhorse
I bought this printer purely for its A3 printing capability, so the scanner (doubles as a fax) was a bonus. i bought it to replace my HP Officejet K7100, which is a superb machine, but it uses a tri colour cart and my particular printing needs mean that I heavily use yellow, followed by half as much blue and hardly any red, so I needed a single cart machine...
Published on 8 Feb. 2011 by N. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 13 Feb. 2012 by Owl

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid workhorse, 8 Feb. 2011
N. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP OfficeJet 7500A A3 e-All-in-One Web Enabled Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Wireless, e-Print) (Accessory)

The HP Officejet 7500A seems like a good replacement and ink use looks to be good value. You get the small carts with the machine, which get you up and running, but you really need the XL carts for economy of scale - especially the black as the XL is three times bigger than the standard black.

Print quality is vey good, blacks are pin sharp and do not show feathering. I print out maps onto matt inkjet paper and they result in a really smooth texture, vibrant and no sign at all of any banding or other artifact.

When you select inkjet papers, the machine is slower and puts down more ink (as do all machines I own) but when I used the same graphic onto white inkjet self adhesive lables and used just the plain paper setting, the printer just churned them out and the print quality was as good as when I had used the inkjet paper setting.

The down side of this machine compared to my K7100 is that it does not have a command for booklet printing (or duplex). You can get around this by having the printer do 2 A4's onto an A3 and then manually flip the paper back into the tray and print the reverse side - so on a 12 page booklet, I select it to print pages 12 and 1 (in that order) and then put the paper back in again on the flip side and tell it to print pages 2 and 11 etc etc. it s more time consuming but it is an effective workaround.

When an ink starts to run out the machine advises you that you can carry on running until you think the ink quality drops, but to be frank, once that warning appears, there is not that much life left in the cart.

Photo reproduction is surprisingly good for a 3 colour machine (plus black)with accurate colour and tone transfer.

The machine is fairly quiet and the vibration through the desk is less than my K7100 produced.

Bottom line - very good at most things, does not do booklet printing but there is a workaround and the inks seem to give a very good result but with economical running costs - seems to compete very well against copy shop prices. Buy the machine with a set of XL carts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 13 Feb. 2012
This printer no doubt can print good quality prints with the original HP ink. HOWEVER, whats the point of having this printer when it KEEPS screwing up with software issues? I can't even get my stuff to print! The first time I bought, the printer had issues so I went through all the trouble to try to solve it before approaching HP because I thought that maybe the problem lies with my cable or laptop etc...So I ended up talking to HP technicians and realized that the issue lies with the PRINTER. Whenever I try to print, it keeps saying communication failure, or sending print (which it never sends in the end) or Waiting for printer to become available (which my printer IS AVAILABLE all the while) and even if it can print, usually its just lucky on the FIRST job and the subsequent ones doesn't work... I have to switch off the power and then on again, reset my printing system on the com, then TRY my luck again. Waste so much time just to get ONE JOB done. And sometimes, the printer prints out MISALIGNED, OVERLAPPED fonts at the bottom of the page.So, they decided to give me a NEW printer real fast, I went through the hassle to set it up again and NOW the printer has the SAME ISSUES AGAIN?! I am beyond disappointed, this is the first time I am facing so many issues with a printer when I am JUST using a USB cable not even complicated wireless settings! Please do consider when purchasing this printer! This is just my experience, I am not sure if I am just unlucky? Maybe someone elses have gotten the better ones?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 1 May 2011
Very pleased with this printer
I needed a new printer that printed a3 and thought it would also be a bonus to have a wireless one.
This printer was the best value one I found (although do look around as I found this printer varied in price a lot £330 to £130!!)
Easy to set up and like the added feature that you can have an email address for your printer so anyone can send a print job to you.
Would have given 5 stars but printer is a little noisier than my previous one and the ink refills are quite expensive but not having the printer for too long not sure how long ink will last
Overall very happy with printer was a good buy for features

1.0 out of 5 stars Hp Officejet 7500, 10 Jan. 2013
I purchased this printer in March 2011. The printer was forever making noices to align the cartridges etc. Also had frequent paper jams and last week the printhead failed. I followed instructions to clean the printhead and replaced all the ink cartridges. Printer then worked for about 10 pages and then printhead failed and ink leaked from all of the cartridges. I have always purchased hp as they used to be a solid reliable brand. This is no longer the case. I have now replaced it with an Epson printer. Unfortunately I have just wasted money on new hp cartidges.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute junk, 18 Oct. 2011
Purchased from Amazon and printed less than 50 sheets and suffered from problem where printer indicates a paper jam but no such thing. Searched on web and found it was a common problem with faulty sensors. My fault for not searching before.

Service from Amazon excellent. Replacement printer received, printed less than 10 sheets and same problem.

Have given up and returned to Amazon.

PROs

A3 prints were nice when it worked.
ADF very reliable

CONs

Unreliable
Drivers for Mac 10.6 flaky. Took an awful long time to print via wifi. Also should provide an auto-booklet function for printing.

Summary

When something appears to be of such value as this printer purports to be, and for so little money, then I should have realised there would be problems. I recommend you do as I am now and look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this printer, 21 May 2013
I bought this printer on November 1st 2012. It stopped working on May 21st 2013.

I have printed two sets of ink cartridges in printing, not very heavy use in 6 months ownership.

The printer has the paper jam problem that everyone else reports and is not worth trying to fix due to cost involved. Shame really because my last HP printer was very good and I was loyal to to HP.

I will never buy another HP product again.

Do not buy under any circumstance, its not worth the hassle.

2.0 out of 5 stars HP officejet 7500, 1 April 2011
I bought this printer as I needed an A3 printer for CAD drawing plus occasional photos, the scanner and copier just as a welcome bonus at this price.

Very easy to set up, no problems, linked to the wireless network straight away.

The problems started when I tried to print, very slow to start the process, timed at over 25 minutes at its worst. Sometimes it would start immediately, but not very often. Frequently dropped the wireless connection and would only connect if I used the printer utility program.

From the outset, printing at A3 has never been satisfactory. It will not recognise the A3 size in my CAD program. The maximum area I have been able to print is 410x285! A4 prints are fine.

Regrettably, it looks like this is not the printer for me and I have reluctantly sent it back and am now looking again for a suitable A3 printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Printer I Have Ever Owned, 28 May 2012
Bought this about a year ago for my office. I print alot of A3 drawings, scan and print photos too so this seemed to do it all.

Sadly - It has never run properly. It seems to use an incredible amount of ink and the replacement inks seem very expensive. The black seems to print with lines missing as soon as it starts to get below half full and I have just had to replace all inks at a cost of close to £100 a couple of days ago. Despite this the black refuses to print at all. This is the second time this has happen. The last time I got it going by buying yet another new black ink - and that one did work but if HP think I'm gonna keep buying black inks at £30 a pop in the hope that one of them will work in this useless machine - they have another thing coming.

So instead of buying new ink tomorrow, I will be taking this to the local dump and buying a new printer - It won't be an HP!

Please - for the sake of your sanity - don't buy this printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and complicated, 10 Oct. 2012
K J Lowe (Shipley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was bought to replace an old HP fax scanner and separate A3 printer for an IT company using windows 7 machines. It was supposed to work wirelessly over our network for multiple users. It has never ever 100% worked since we got it. First it wouldn't give you an option to print A3 - we had to install some apple software to fix that, but we're still having issues with it dropping off the network, you're lucky if you get one document scanned before it falls over, blaming our network, funny the other two much older non HP printers have no problems. The print quality is appalling as well. Fine for home use connected to one pc by cable but don't waste your money for anything more complicated. I think HP has really gone downhill over recent years, their software and drivers are shocking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Reliability, 21 Jan. 2012
We use our Hp 7500A printer/scanner for home use, ie infrequently. We're on our 3rd printer, after returnng the previous 2 with faulty printer heads. The printers are brilliant, until they go wrong, from my experience thats about 2 months from new!