Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 August 2010
Update Sept 2010

I've been using the iPad for over a month now and I love it! My netbook sits gathering dust and my desk top is getting less used too for general surfing. For serious work and creating documents, photos etc a desk top is much better than the iPad.

Issues like reflective screens and weight have not really been a problem. I don't use the iPad outdoors much but for a week on holiday I did use it on quite a few trains on sunny days without problems. I bought something called a Prop It Up from Padded Spaces in America - this makes for a great way of using the iPad on your lap.

I've also bought a MiFi dongle from Three - basically you create your own portable wireless network which connects via Three's 3G network to the Internet. The iPad connects to this portable wireless hotspot. It worked very well - in fact much, much better than Orange 3G on my iPhone to the point I used the Three dongle with the iPhone too.

The only slight issue I've had with the iPad has been its limited RAM memory ( Not the flash storage memory but memory used by programs for their temporary data storage ). This can occasionally cause it to crash - not the whole iPad just the app you were running at the time.

I think Apple deliberately put in a paltry 256mb of internal memory so when iPad v2 comes out they can say "Its got double the RAM memory of iPad v1"

In terms of the Flash memory for general storage I went with 64gb model because it was in stock and I was too impatient to wait for the 32gb version! I thought the extra memory would be unneeded but one month in and I've already half filled the memory with applications, photos, music and videos! I'm now very glad I got 64gb!

------------- Original Review -------------

I already have desktop, laptop and netbook computers so why did I need an iPad?
For months I told myself I didn't but finally the gadget lover urge took over and I bought one from the Apple Store.

After buying it I did have doubts - after all its most definitely not cheap! I have other computers. Am I wasting my money here for a gadget I'll lose interest in after a few days?

I needn't have worried - after 2 weeks I'm still finding the iPad really useful and me using it regularly. It is not a replacement for my desktop. If I have serious word processing or photo editing to do I use the desktop. Typing a few sentences on the iPad is fine but a 10,000 word document - no way!

Initially when it arrived I was slightly underwhelmed. The screen is amazingly reflective and it was heavier than I would like. At first you do feel like its just a big iPhone. As it happens none of these issues have been big problems.

The reflective screen means its not usable outside on a bright sunny day. Inside its not a problem. The weight does mean its uncomfortable to hand hold for long periods so I've been propping it on a cushion and now invested in something called Prop It Up by PaddedSpaces - a cushion and stand all in one. The extra screen size means it can be used for much more than an iPhone. I personally never watched any movie clip longer than 30 seconds on an iPhone - but on iPad I'll happily watch a short programme or music videos. It won't replace my TV at home but in places I don't have a TV its great. For example I now watch music videos while exercising upstairs on my exercise bike - makes the time go much faster than just sitting their and peddling!

For surfing the web its great - the lack of Flash support hasn't been a major issue for me personally. Google maps has also been used a lot.

Battery life is phenomenal - I can use it all day and still have charge left at the end.

If I could improve it I would:

1) Make it 200g lighter
2) The screen less reflective
3) Cheaper to buy!

And that's it really - there's not much else I'd say was essential to improve.

However the reflective screen and its weight does mean I won't be using it as an e-book reader. Amazon's new Kindle is definitely more suited to reading.
I do use the iPad for manuals - so many of them these days are not printed and in pdf format. No problem - I can load them on to Apples ebook reader and view them wherever I am via the iPad.

While the iPad is great I wouldn't say the same for iTunes. Unlike the iPad I don't find iTunes intuitive to use - in fact it can be quite frustrating at times. I guess all the great Apple programmers worked on the iPad!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2010
Having been a user iPod's for years and recently changed to a Mac from a PC at home I guess I am a fairly zealous proponent of Apple, but trust me the iPad is more than just a bigger iPod Touch.

I got my iPad to supplement my work laptop, now I love gadgets but hate carrying my laptop around with a passion.
What I mean is I used to carry it back and forwards to meetings and all I did was show one presentation or take a few notes, and I still have my iPod Touch with me to keep me entertained at airports, on planes and trains and when in hotels.
The iPad means I can now travel in most cases without my laptop, and indeed have now made quite a few business trips without my laptop and have not been disadvantaged at all.
Travelling with just my iPad has been distinctly liberating as it just lightens the load when deciding what to take away.
Ok, the reality is that this freedom has meant spending a few £ on apps in the iTunes store, but it's worth it.

So onto the functions...
Calendar, the built in calendar is great and easy to use, and combine this with your Mac calendar or Outlook and you have a very powerful tool.
Music, the iPod functionality is great and very easy to use, the controls are pretty intuitive.
Photo's, being a bit of a sentimentalist I like to take family pictures with me when I go away, and the app on the iPad works very
well and is a great way to view pictures and the picture frame mode is good too.
Video, viewing films and tv programmes on the iPad is a great experience. The screen is a god size for viewing and the picture quality is superb. Boring stays in hotels are now much more enjoyable!

There are many other great built in features, but I guess you've read about these elsewhere in one of the myriad of reviews available. And as for 3rd party apps, there is a huge choice, the main issue is finding the ones that you 'really' need and that do what you want, but there are some great ones out there.

In terms of other accessories I needed to make the iPad a success, the main one was a MiFi, this is a great bit of kit on the 3 network that creates your own private wifi hotspots wherever you are as long as you can get a 3G or better signal. I went for a pay as you go option and have been very pleased with it.
I also use an AirPort Express when abroad or in hotels to create a wifi link from the cabled Internet available in meeting rooms and hotel rooms when no wifi available. (data roaming abroad is expensive so I try to avoid the MiFi when abroad!)
Then there was the VGA connector to allow me to connect unto a projector to show presentations, combine this with Keynote, Goodreader of 2Screens and you have a good presentation tool.

Now all I am waiting for is the iOS4.2 release so I can use AirPlay to connect to my AirPort Express and stream music when staying in hotels. This update may also entice me to get an Apple iTV but that's another story!

All in all I was very impressed with my iPad from day one, and my opinion has not waned over time.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2010
Everything that I hoped it would be, very easy to use ( and I don't have an I phone) even my partner who never uses the computer, has found it easy to use, it's something that lives on the coffee table, and everybody that visits, just picks it up and uses it, only drawback is no flash player, but I can live without it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Terrific piece of kit, I would really miss this if for some reason it were to disappear. Screen is clear and bright, everything is very responsive, even games play very well and 64 Gb is bags of memory.

I use it almost all the time as the wifi range is terrific and it connects to BT hot spots without any problems and quickly too. Great for surfing not sure how you could make it better; well there is one thing, finger marks, the screen marks very easily and I find I have to clear it every hour or so. Excellent, recommended.

If you're into ebooks make sure you get the Kindle app, the books from Amazon are way cheaper than those from Itunes and those from the US kindle site cheaper again :-)
on 26 October 2010
What a great piece of tech. I have the iPad nano already (aka iPhone) so using the iPad is easy. I just love the apps that are available and I've even paid for a few. I mainly use the iPad for emails and surfing the web and playing the odd game. It also makes a good e-reader for news papers and magazines etc. Thou it's a lot heavier than the kindle e-reader.
The battery lasts about 10 hours.
I do like the iPad but I don't have anything to compare it against.

The down side is the lack of web cam for skyping my mates, I am sure you can get connection that allows camera attachment. And I haven't found out how to print from the iPad either.
One last thing, you can not charge the iPad while syncing with your pc something to do with the power requirements.
on 26 October 2011
best investment i have ever made as a music student it is crusial for making fast simple music. as a scince a-level student its crusial for revising for exams and wrighting corsework in and out of the home. very simple very effisient very effective
on 20 March 2015
I'm giving this 3 stars only because I couldn't upgrade the iOS and wasn't fully aware of the this when I got it or yhat the iOS offered limited options for the use of things like Facebook. The product itself was excellent quality and delivered in good time. I also received a prompt refund and the seller was fantastic and understood it didn't meet my expectations.
on 26 April 2014
I was so satisfied with my iPad! I bought a 64 gb iPad and I love it because it was cheap, is in great condition and I can store all of my music and films on it!! Great product but what I wasn't happy with was our local postman leaving it in the shed in the front garden.. And it was raining... But I got it and I love it!
on 21 January 2014
I have many apple products, 2 x ipad 1's, iphone 4s and a MacBook pro. this ipad mini is a great item and really useful. the memory is the minimum I would buy now, you need 32 or 64gb in my opinion as a minimum or you fill the products up rapidly.
on 19 June 2013
Item was in good condition as sold, however was left outside the front of my house, which could have been taken at any point. Which is something I think you should consider to change for the future, possibly make the packages signed for?