5.0 out of 5 stars Handle with care (and prepare to be scared...)
Published on 26 Sep 2010 by J. C. Gibbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Swings and Roundabouts
I enjoyed the film hugely when originally released for the cinema, so I was pleased to see this on DVD (but where are the TV eps? Surprised they have yet to appear on DVD). Having watched the film again, it still retains its charm, though the remastering leaves a huge amount to be desired. The colour levels jump all over the place, and little grading appears to have been...
Published 23 months ago by G. Reed

5.0 out of 5 stars Handle with care (and prepare to be scared...), 26 Sep 2010
J. C. Gibbs (Rickmansworth UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dougal and the Blue Cat (Special Edition) [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
Writing this before the film is released on DVD, but as I saw this when it first came out, I'd like to say buy it, but watch it yourself before you show your kids. For those of us raised on the reassuring exploits of Dougal and his chums in the magic garden before the BBC news, this film ought to have been a jolly romp. Oh no. Grim and psychedelic, it takes that familiar Roundabout crew and subverts all that you remember. Yes Dougal is the hero of the tale, but I guarantee that you will remember Buxton the megalomaniac blue cat and his guiding 'blue voice' (how exactly a voice can be blue is a moot point, but as the voice in question belongs to the inestimable national treasure that is Fenella Fielding, who cares?)There is a relentlessness to this story that really, really gets to you. 'Blue is beautiful, blue is best' are words that can still chill me to the core after nearly forty years. And Buxton? Well I've never felt happy going to Derbyshire and that cursed blue cat is the reason. Seriously, if you find Professor Yaffle and his mice friends creepy in Bagpuss, or worry about the bizarre post-apocalyptic world where the child Emily is running her own antique shop, DO NOT watch this film. If however Ludwig was plain sailing for you then watch this. But please be warned, if they were to make a sequel to this today, it would probably match the freaky horror of The Clangers with the teatime reassurance of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I may have got those slightly confused. Having said all that, I am going to order a copy. I just won't watch it alone, or without an awful lot of alcohol...

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue is beautiful, blue is best, 27 Oct 2010
I am so pleased this is FINALLY getting a release on DVD. It is a lost treasure.I grew up listening to the soundtrack on record and - I kid you not - at certain points I was terrified!! Namely, when Dougal wakes in the middle of the night and hears Finella Fielding's creepy voice and a cat's wailing; also, when Buxton (the blue cat) appears for the first time in the magic garden, accompanied by a musically melodramatic, "Taaahhhh-DAAAAAAHHHHH!".

But I loved being scared! I was hooked...

Today, aged 37, I love it all the more. As with the TV series, Eric Thompson imbues the dialogue with a hugely enjoyable British sensibility, attached to some rather bizarre (and psychedelic) visuals. The music is beautifully French and quite poignant (especially the song which Florence sings, about whether she and the others will ever see the sun again). My favourite scene has to be the one where Dougal is trapped in a room full of sugar (his favourite treat) but he's not allowed to eat any. How he wrestles with his natural instincts!

I'm just not sure what kids will make of it today, 40 years on. They may be confused by some of the old-fashioned references, and young children may even be a little too freaked out by it all. Still, this is a long-lost gem - so everyone should buy it! Especially children aged 37.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last, 29 Oct 2010
I grew up listening to the soundtrack LP, and it terrified me. Later I bought a VHS tape and have to admit that it wasn't as scary in visual form (although thats probably because I was in my 30's by then!). Its still a fantastic movie (far superior to the recent CGI effort) that will entertain children and adults alike. Since my Video Player chewed up the tape, I have been waiting for the DVD release, and was beginning to think that it would never happen. But here it is, and for anyone who's nostalgic for 70's kids TV, or those who just want to show their own kids a simpler more innocent form of entertainment than the current crop of (mostly) rubbish available to them, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical little slice of my childhood, 13 Jan 2011
ds (Whitby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I was a kid, I had an album, on the Music for Pleasure label, of the soundtrack to this film. And I played it to death, loving every little cadence and intonation. I also dimly remember watching the film as a young child, and being entranced by it. So, after more than 30 years of wanting to see it again, the disc pops through my letter box and I settle down to watch it, hoping that the years have been kind and my nostalgia is not unduly rose tinted.

I needn't have worried: it's even better than I remember. First off are the extras, which, though not extensive, are beautifully judged. Mark Kermode's tribute to the film itself almost exactly echoes my own feelings. And then, we also get the movie with its original French audio track. I'd always known that part of the joke in France was that Pollux (Dougal) spoke French with a heavy English accent, but to actually hear it for the first time properly is a riot and demonstrates that Danot wasn't without humour himself. The other short is a brief recap of Eric Thompson's career and how the Magic Roundabout came to be such a big part of it. All lovely stuff.

As for the film, it's pretty much pitch perfect. Seventy nine minutes of beautifully bright and vivid visuals combined with a gorgeously dry Eric Thompson voice track. And the songs are fabulous too, from the rather dreamy ditty Florence sings early on, through the achingly sad dungeon scene to Buxton's triumphal I am King. What really impresses is the layering of whimsy and darkness, giving children and adults something substantial to laugh at, cry at and otherwise enjoy. And then there's Fenella Fielding, the only other voice aside from Thompson's in the whole of his time doing it. The Blue Voice is silky, seductive and hypnotic, a sublime touch of velvet evil.

In all, it's easily worth the asking price: a little masterpiece of visual and oral pleasure that will enchant kids of all ages, maybe for the first time or all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a long awaited masterpiece on DVD !, 9 Oct 2010
Mr. S. Poore (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
At last my worn out VHS tape version can be retired to the shelf as I await the release of this long awaited treasure on DVD.

If you never saw the five minutes long children's program "The Magic Roundabout" from the late sixties and early seventies, which appeared on TV every night just before the news, this will be completely lost on you.

If you know and love the characters, then you'll love this longer, darker movie. When Buxton the Blue Cat arrives in the magic garden, Dougal is no longer the centre of attention. Suspicious, Dougal does some investigating and is horrified by what he finds.

Full of topical (for the seventies) references, sarcasm and subtle drug references, no wonder this is a cult classic amongst students. It's great to hear the original voices from Eric Thompson (none of that disappointing 1980's remake stuff). Fenella Fielding is wonderfully cast as ....., well that would be telling !

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird!, 6 Jan 2014
Mr M.R.Watkinson (Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
You're almost bound to have fond childhood memories of the Magic Roundabout if you're reading this. It was always a bit surreal, but this is just downright weird. Very, very good, very funny in places, but weird... Unlike Mark Kermode, who appears on the extras, I was a little too young to have been taken to see this at the cinema when it was released. In fact, until, in a fit of nostalgia, I had a look to see if there was a complete release of The Magic Roundabout on DVD (there isn't, alas), I didn't even know it existed!

As with all TMR, the script was written from scratch by Eric Thompson who did all the regular voices; in this feature film, an outsider is introduced for the only time, Fenella Fielding doing a wonderful job of the Blue Voice. It's a little different from the 5 minute episodes & rather slower to develop, as you might expect. It's nevertheless very enjoyable, even if you're in your 40's with no kids to enjoy it with! There are a couple of scenes, notably the first sight of the Dream Room, that very young children might find unsettling, but nothing really scary. It's all just very strange...

In the extras, you have 10 minutes of fairly pointless waffle from the afore-mentioned film critic, Mr Kermode. Of far more interest is the interview with the Thompsons; Phyllida Law his wife, and Emma (yes *that* Emma T!), his daughter; plus a little from Ms Fielding. It's probably reasonably well known these days that Eric never knew what the original scripts of any TMR were about. He simply watched each episode & the film, and then made up his own story. There are two versions of the tale, both of which could well be true. The first is that the BBC wouldn't pay for translations; the second, which is the Thompson's version, that Thompson wouldn't have read them anyway (he was a Francophobe, apparently). It's a matter of some joy, then, to find that the other major inclusion in the extras is the original French version of the film *with* English sub-titles. It's not surprising to find the English script running along very similar lines to the French; with the visuals as they are, it couldn't do much else. However, it's both amusing and interesting to see how one moment the English script is saying something utterly different for a given scene, and at others it's almost verbatim the French version!

In conclusion, you'll find this rather different from what you're used to in the 5 minute episodes. At 70 minutes, it's just about the right length; any longer would have been stretching things too far. The restoration is good, the film is excellent, and so are the extras, so 5* from me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much for young kids, 14 Dec 2013
...but all the better for it. Wonderful, dark, twisted and brilliant. Excellent special features include the original French version with subtitles so that you can see the genius of Thompson's re-working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good today as 1970, 25 Aug 2011
This has always been a favourite having seen it in the cinema at the age of 4. I have just introduced my 7 year old neice to this film (VHS version) and she loved it - wanting it every night this week. She has picked up all the phrases "Aye Buxton - that's my name" and was dreaming of dancing dogs. Much better than the new insipid version of Dougal. Am buying the DVD for her now (and one for myself before the old VHS tape disintegrates).

5.0 out of 5 stars dougal and blue cat, 30 Dec 2010
excellent story for both children and adults. Brought for my hubsand(one of his favourite films) but watched several times over xmas by my nieces and nephews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly nostalgic, 5 Dec 2010
Truly a trip down memory lane, albeit one tinged with psychedelia & hints of menace. The quality of both picture & sound is remarkable, the story is pure Eric (at his best) & if you have any memories of the 'Roundabout at all, this will bring them flooding back. 40 years will just roll away!

Dougal and the Blue Cat (Special Edition) [DVD] [1970]