Format: DVD|Change

on 14 November 2010
If, when you have watched this video, you don't have a face-splitting grin on your face and are not humming songs around the house, than you must have a heart of stone and there is little hope for you. Unlike his previous DVD, this appears to be a complete recording of the show as it ran (but probably with some edits of the intersong chat) so that guest Jodie "Hey Mambo" Prenger and the comedy numbers are not relegated to the "extras" section. This makes it flow seamlessly and which is why I didn't move from the sofa during the 2hr 41 running time.

There are over 24 songs on this DVD ranging from the sublime "Remember When" to the pantomime "Man, I feel like a woman", with showstoppers such as "Let's Get Loud" and ballads such as "Memory". All are performed with commitment, passion and above all enjoyment - John's having the time of his life and it shows. With so much cynicism around this is very refreshing.

JB is someone who loves to challenge people's prejudices. I don't like Country Music, but I thought "Remember When" was the best song in the show and was I surprised when I found out its origins. And having got bored with "Copacabana" the first time around, JB and team breathed new life into it with their theatrical version. What I am saying is that you may think that the music "isn't your type" - but give it chance.

My only minor niggle is the slightly over-enthusiastic video editing - the camera never seems to stay on one shot for more than 5 seconds, which means that sometimes it's difficult to follow the action. The concert is entertaining enough without trying to inject even more pzzazz by constantly alternating the camera angles.

Oh, and despite of one of the Amazon labels (Captain Jack would so not approve) this is excellent family entertainment. Go and buy it now!
on 28 November 2010
Finally the DVD arrived here at my home in Germany! I was looking forward to receiving it for months because it wasn't possible for me to fly to one of the shows and while I was watching the DVD I had the feeling I've been there, too! ;) It's obvious how fast John Barrowman connects with his audience and I enjoyed every moment of watching the concert. Luckily there are all songs featured John did and most of the stories and funny things John told are included, too.
It's hard for me to pick some highlights because every song and performance was special in his own way, but I'll try ;) The whole arrangements with the dancers during "Copacabana" and "Don't rain on my parade" were great, John's versions of "Fireflies" and "Rule the world" were outstanding (I can't listen to the original version from Owl City now, I just want to hear John singing the song!) and "Memory", "Don't cry out loud" and of course "Unusual way" brought me to tears! Furthermore, his really own versions of Shania Twain's "Man, I feel like a woman!" and the "Spiderman/Wonderwoman" medley were hilarious and I was crying again because I had to laugh so hard ;)
"The doctor and I" was a lovely tribute to Doctor Who/Torchwood and I adored "From this moment on" which he dedicated to all his fans. Another cute part of the show was during "Remember when" when John's wonderful partens appeared on stage to have a little dance.
Last but not least the wonderful Jodie Prenger has been a guest star on John's tour and her performances are also included! Jodie's so talented and it was a pleasure to see her on stage again!

Cutting a long story short, it's absolutely worth buying this DVD. John Barrowman is definitely an Entertainer with a capital E and the DVD is perfect for an evening with family or friends! :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a concert tour - and another DVD ;) - next year! :)
on 2 November 2010
I am very much looking forward to buying this DVD and i would say it is a must have. If you are not already a Barrowman fan, it might just convert you.

I was lucky enough to attend his concert in Glasgow last week and its the best £33 pounds i have spent on a concert. You pay ridculous amounts to see pop groups and are lucky if they are on stage for an hour and a half. John was on stage for about 3 hours...and it still wasn't enough.

He has great chemistry with his dancers and band, endless amounts of energy, a great voice and hilarious stories. He involves the audience and puts everyone at ease.

There may be a few differences between his London show and his Glasgow one e.g. he spent a good portion of the concert in Glasgow speaking in his Glaswegian accent. I'm not sure what his parents do at the London show, but at the Glasgow show they managed to make him blush...John Barrowman blushing, not a sentance you'd expect to hear...easy to see why he's so crazy. Doesn't matter where he is, this man knows how to put on a show.

Makes someones' Christmas - get them this DVD and watch them smile and laugh non-stop
on 4 December 2010
Living in the US I have never seen John Barrowman perform live. Still hoping one day it will happen. So when the opportunity arises to buy a DVD of his performances I jump on it. John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall Is an outstanding album. To start with it is not heavily edited. The flow is like you are sitting watching a concert. All the patter is there all the acts are there. It is great fun and hugely entertaining. I read one review on here that said the songs didn't suit his voice and he was often flat. As this was definitely not the truth I read some more of that person's reviews of other things, and it seemed they liked very little of what they heard so I think that can be discounted. Believe me John Barrowman has perfect pitch, he never misses a note. He has a delightful personality and his patter seems very impromptu but I think it is probably rehearsed and he just is that good. He is very funny and does not hold back on telling stories on himself. His humor is also displayed in his singing in a couple of numbers. And then there are the songs that are filled with emotion. A couple of the songs made tears come to my eyes, Alan Jackson's "Remember When" was brought so beautifully alive. Being his parents age myself put me in a position of understanding the feeling attached to this song, but I am sure anyone will find it beautiful and full of sentiment. John's emotive voice full of love and joy makes all the songs on this album alive and understood. Moving from fast paced energetic numbers to soft, warm ballads, or singing a love song dedicated to his fans, his voice is superb, controlled and exciting. If you aren't left with one or more of these songs running through your mind, you don't like music. Jody Prenger is outstanding. Her voice is sometimes as smooth as chocolate and sometimes sounds very country western. She is strong and vibrant. The duet "So Close" is masterful. "Mambo Italiano" and "Proud Mary" are so energetic I got up and danced with her.
The J4 dancers do amazing things and bring great energy to the stage. The band is superb and sometimes sounds much more than just a few instruments. I highly recommend John Barrowman singing to a "sold out" Royal Albert Hall audience to anyone who wants "feel good" entertainment that will be viewed and enjoyed many more times than once.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2010
This DVD is a wonderful momento of the concert. It was a fantastic evening. He certainly knows how to put on a show. He doesn't just sing (20 songs!) but also tells anacdotes about his career and family. If you don't like Barrowman's sense of humour you might find that off putting, but if, like me, you enjoy the banter (which I think gave the concert more of an intimate feel than others I've been to) then you will really enjoy this DVD. The music is very eclectic, ranging from the upbeat Get this Party Started and Copacabana, through the comedy of Spiderman, and the soft and powerfully emotional Unusual way, to the 'trendy' Fireflies sung to please his nieces. All in all well worth the money
on 28 November 2010
I wish I could have seen John Barrowman in person at Royal Albert Hall, but I couldn't. Fortunately Mr. Barrowman not only thinks about the live audience at his performances he also thinks about those who can't make it to the UK for his live show. This DVD is fantastic! You get 19 songs sung by Mr. B ranging from the fun romp with Spiderman/Wonder Woman to a Gloria Estfan medley to Don't Rain on My Parade and Viva Las Vegas with his J4 dancers, then you have quiet lovely moments with John singing Memory and Unusual Way. A special treat for all Captain Jack and Doctor Who fans is John singing the Doctor and I.

John's guest performer is Jodie Prenger who delivers four wonderful songs and also sings a duet (So Close) with John.

All of this is tied together with John's personal stories and family photos. I laughed, smiled, said "Ahh!" and had an absolute blast watching this DVD. This is a DVD I'll definitely watch again and again.

I love this DVD and it was worth every penny!!
on 28 November 2010

I love this DVD and it was worth every penny!!
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2010
I was lucky enough to get a ticket for John's show on Monday and it was an absolutely brilliant time! The singing and entertaining from John was, as usual, great fun, a little risque and with loads of fantastic songs that he performed excellently and with his usual bravado! And of course being at the Albert Hall was just the icing on the cake. I cant wait to get the DVD so i can relive it all again, a must for any music fan and an absolute definite for any fan of John!!!
on 6 October 2010
We went to the Royal Albert Hall concert, 4 oktober 2010 in London and we can say that if you are a fan of John, you NEED to buy this DVD!
It was a GREAT concert and we had a blast!!!
John sings and is funny and looks great, what do you wish for more in a man????

His partner Scott was in the hall and his parents make a smashing performance on stage!

An emotional concert and we cannot wait to see it on the DVD.

Sophia and her mom from the Netherlands
on 22 November 2010
Mr Barrowman, at his best, i greatly enjoyed this DVD.I would recommend it for it's feel good factor. Thankyou. GO BOY.