5.0 out of 5 stars Fun! Fun! Fun!
Published on 14 Nov 2010 by Priv8teer

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Problem
Published on 1 Jan 2011 by pjidaho

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun! Fun! Fun!, 14 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
If, when you have watched this video, you don't have a face-splitting grin on your face and are not humming songs around the house, than you must have a heart of stone and there is little hope for you. Unlike his previous DVD, this appears to be a complete recording of the show as it ran (but probably with some edits of the intersong chat) so that guest Jodie "Hey Mambo" Prenger and the comedy numbers are not relegated to the "extras" section. This makes it flow seamlessly and which is why I didn't move from the sofa during the 2hr 41 running time.

There are over 24 songs on this DVD ranging from the sublime "Remember When" to the pantomime "Man, I feel like a woman", with showstoppers such as "Let's Get Loud" and ballads such as "Memory". All are performed with commitment, passion and above all enjoyment - John's having the time of his life and it shows. With so much cynicism around this is very refreshing.

JB is someone who loves to challenge people's prejudices. I don't like Country Music, but I thought "Remember When" was the best song in the show and was I surprised when I found out its origins. And having got bored with "Copacabana" the first time around, JB and team breathed new life into it with their theatrical version. What I am saying is that you may think that the music "isn't your type" - but give it chance.

My only minor niggle is the slightly over-enthusiastic video editing - the camera never seems to stay on one shot for more than 5 seconds, which means that sometimes it's difficult to follow the action. The concert is entertaining enough without trying to inject even more pzzazz by constantly alternating the camera angles.

Oh, and despite of one of the Amazon labels (Captain Jack would so not approve) this is excellent family entertainment. Go and buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Show, Mr. B !!, 28 Nov 2010
I wish I could have seen John Barrowman in person at Royal Albert Hall, but I couldn't. Fortunately Mr. Barrowman not only thinks about the live audience at his performances he also thinks about those who can't make it to the UK for his live show. This DVD is fantastic! You get 19 songs sung by Mr. B ranging from the fun romp with Spiderman/Wonder Woman to a Gloria Estfan medley to Don't Rain on My Parade and Viva Las Vegas with his J4 dancers, then you have quiet lovely moments with John singing Memory and Unusual Way. A special treat for all Captain Jack and Doctor Who fans is John singing the Doctor and I.

John's guest performer is Jodie Prenger who delivers four wonderful songs and also sings a duet (So Close) with John.

All of this is tied together with John's personal stories and family photos. I laughed, smiled, said "Ahh!" and had an absolute blast watching this DVD. This is a DVD I'll definitely watch again and again.

I love this DVD and it was worth every penny!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful momento of a fantastic evening, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is a wonderful momento of the concert. It was a fantastic evening. He certainly knows how to put on a show. He doesn't just sing (20 songs!) but also tells anacdotes about his career and family. If you don't like Barrowman's sense of humour you might find that off putting, but if, like me, you enjoy the banter (which I think gave the concert more of an intimate feel than others I've been to) then you will really enjoy this DVD. The music is very eclectic, ranging from the upbeat Get this Party Started and Copacabana, through the comedy of Spiderman, and the soft and powerfully emotional Unusual way, to the 'trendy' Fireflies sung to please his nieces. All in all well worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this concert very much, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
Mr Barrowman, at his best, i greatly enjoyed this DVD.I would recommend it for it's feel good factor. Thankyou. GO BOY.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to have this DVD!, 28 Nov 2010
Londres (Unterfranken) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
Finally the DVD arrived here at my home in Germany! I was looking forward to receiving it for months because it wasn't possible for me to fly to one of the shows and while I was watching the DVD I had the feeling I've been there, too! ;) It's obvious how fast John Barrowman connects with his audience and I enjoyed every moment of watching the concert. Luckily there are all songs featured John did and most of the stories and funny things John told are included, too.
It's hard for me to pick some highlights because every song and performance was special in his own way, but I'll try ;) The whole arrangements with the dancers during "Copacabana" and "Don't rain on my parade" were great, John's versions of "Fireflies" and "Rule the world" were outstanding (I can't listen to the original version from Owl City now, I just want to hear John singing the song!) and "Memory", "Don't cry out loud" and of course "Unusual way" brought me to tears! Furthermore, his really own versions of Shania Twain's "Man, I feel like a woman!" and the "Spiderman/Wonderwoman" medley were hilarious and I was crying again because I had to laugh so hard ;)
"The doctor and I" was a lovely tribute to Doctor Who/Torchwood and I adored "From this moment on" which he dedicated to all his fans. Another cute part of the show was during "Remember when" when John's wonderful partens appeared on stage to have a little dance.
Last but not least the wonderful Jodie Prenger has been a guest star on John's tour and her performances are also included! Jodie's so talented and it was a pleasure to see her on stage again!

Cutting a long story short, it's absolutely worth buying this DVD. John Barrowman is definitely an Entertainer with a capital E and the DVD is perfect for an evening with family or friends! :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a concert tour - and another DVD ;) - next year! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to be at the concert so was eager to watch the dvd. What can I say but pure entertainment from a wonderful entertainer. The mix of songs were wonderful, playful banter and amusing stories a treat. Never a dull moment throughout. Can watch this over and over again and certainly will. John Barrowman is Mr entertainer and seeing him live is an experience not to miss! A few people will be getting this as gifts. Not to forget the wonderful Jodie Prenger who was a Joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where matters not, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
I am very much looking forward to buying this DVD and i would say it is a must have. If you are not already a Barrowman fan, it might just convert you.

I was lucky enough to attend his concert in Glasgow last week and its the best £33 pounds i have spent on a concert. You pay ridculous amounts to see pop groups and are lucky if they are on stage for an hour and a half. John was on stage for about 3 hours...and it still wasn't enough.

He has great chemistry with his dancers and band, endless amounts of energy, a great voice and hilarious stories. He involves the audience and puts everyone at ease.

There may be a few differences between his London show and his Glasgow one e.g. he spent a good portion of the concert in Glasgow speaking in his Glaswegian accent. I'm not sure what his parents do at the London show, but at the Glasgow show they managed to make him blush...John Barrowman blushing, not a sentance you'd expect to hear...easy to see why he's so crazy. Doesn't matter where he is, this man knows how to put on a show.

Makes someones' Christmas - get them this DVD and watch them smile and laugh non-stop

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Barrowman Concert ever!!, 6 Oct 2010
David Dares (Edgware, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to get a ticket for John's show on Monday and it was an absolutely brilliant time! The singing and entertaining from John was, as usual, great fun, a little risque and with loads of fantastic songs that he performed excellently and with his usual bravado! And of course being at the Albert Hall was just the icing on the cake. I cant wait to get the DVD so i can relive it all again, a must for any music fan and an absolute definite for any fan of John!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: John Barrowman Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
We went to the Royal Albert Hall concert, 4 oktober 2010 in London and we can say that if you are a fan of John, you NEED to buy this DVD!
It was a GREAT concert and we had a blast!!!
John sings and is funny and looks great, what do you wish for more in a man????

His partner Scott was in the hall and his parents make a smashing performance on stage!

An emotional concert and we cannot wait to see it on the DVD.

Sophia and her mom from the Netherlands

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Problem, 1 Jan 2011
I'm actually surprised that the NTSC version of this DVD is still being sold. I've received two copies now and neither is playable. I live in the United States, and like most North Americans, my DVD player requires NTSC formatting. But this DVD, although labeled "NTSC," appears to be in the PAL (European) format. I've heard that the manufacturer intends to fix this issue but I haven't heard when. I cannot recommend ordering the NTSC version until the fix is in place and the bad copies have been pulled from inventory.