4.0 out of 5 stars Good..once you set it up
Published 18 months ago by Ivan

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want a few extra grey hairs deal with this company
Published 24 months ago by D. A. R. Surry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good..once you set it up, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Coinqulaity IP webcam Internet CCTV camera infrated Nightview WiFi Wireless Pan Tilt IR black (Electronics)
Nice bit of kit. Good quality image. Easy to set up wired, but for wireless....well..it took me about 3 days...and I am good with this sort of stuff!!!. Instructions basic, and set-up wizard not really good enough for wireless set up. But once it works its great. I watched over my budgies over xmas (and my house) from hundreds of miles away. Beware, talking and listening ONLY work in Internet Explorer...no other browsers. This isnt mentioned anywhere at all.

I would buy more, especially at this price.

BUT Not good for pointing out windows at night since IR lights automatically come on and reflect off glass. So if its for watching car on drive, or wildlife, then its not ideal. More for indoors. Would be ideal if you could switch them off, or reduce the brightness

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Impressed, 2 Feb 2012
I am so impressed with this camera. Setting up was extremely easy and the level of customisation is impressive. It works almost completely out of the box, through I can understand if people with little computer experience may find it difficult.

It comes preset on 192.168.1.126 local IP address, and if you're like me, your router is set on 192.168.0.1 you'll need to connect it to your computer first with the supplied network cable, set your network up manually to the same subnet (I used 192.168.1.1) then browse to the camera at 192.168.1.126:81 (or whatever it says on the box). Once you login, switch on DHCP in "Basic Network Settings". Disconnect it from your computer and connect it to your router then browse to the IP address your router assigns it, not forgetting the port 81. From there you can reserve an IP to the camera in your routers settings (check your router manual on how to do that).

You'll also need to assign port forwarding on your router to access it from outside your network (again, check your router manual). However it does come with DDNS (Dynamic DNS) so you may be able to skip the last step, I don't know, I didn't test this feature.

It works in any modern browser, I tested it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on OS X. It also works flawlessly on the iPhone.

The alarm feature is excellent, though I found that the most complex part to setup. In the "Alarm Service Settings" you need to enable "Motion Detect Armed" and "Alarm Input Armed" then choose your method of delivery. I chose "Send Mail on Alarm". The scheduler UI is a little poor, having to set each individual 15 minute block for the week but I didn't bother with it and left it off, which sets the alarm 24/7.

To disable the alarm uncheck "Alarm Input Armed". It would be nice to have an easier way to arm/disarm the alarm, toggling it requires a 30 second restart each time. But if you forget to arm it when you leave the house you can always arm it when you remember from any computer.

Once you have set up the alarm, you'll need to set up your email (or chosen delivery settings). For email go to "Mail Service Settings" and enter the sender email (you can enter your own) and your receiver emails (also your own).

If you're using Gmail, then set SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com, SMTP Port: 465, Transport Layer Security Protocol: TSL, Need Authentication: Yes, SMTP User: <your email>, SMTP Password: <your password>. Check the "Report Internet IP by Mail" checkbox if you want to be reminded on how to access the camera (particularly good if you have a dynamic IP address.

You'll now get a 6 nice images of yourself delivered to your inbox when ever you walk into it's field of view.

One last note, the night vision is excellent and the resolution is perfect for its intended purpose. For < 40 this is camera is a must for any security conscious folk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed, 18 Dec 2010
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am really pleased with this purchase. I am upgrading from the awful DLINK range of IP cameras which cost me double the price of one of these at the time of purchase and frankly was a complete waste of money. I can't believe how easy and straight forward this was to set-up. Everything just worked as it should and I had it up and running in 25 minutes, which is more that I can say for my previous camera.

I found the accompanying software to be adequate but am using the camera with the surveillance software provided by my NAS enclosure, the Synology 411J which is fully compatible and can support up to 5 of these cams.

The camera itself looks good and the night vision works very well. It's almost silent when panning and tilting and I use it through my wireless network without any issues. My only criticism is the supplied wall bracket which was very plasticy and does not feel very solid.

At this price point for basic indoor home security you really can't go wrong. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera for the price, 13 Mar 2011
Mr. Simon T. Mccosker (Bracknell, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Camera is very good for the price, the controls via Internet Explorer and iPhone are very easy to use. Reason for only giving 4 stars is the audio side isn't great, the speaker in the camera makes you sounds like a dalek on helium and the microphone has a range of about 2 meters max.

Thing to watch out for when setting the camera up is it doesn't default to DHCP for the IP address. It assigns a static address that wasn't in the same subnet as my computers so took some fiddling to fix.

The night vision side of the camera is good, in a really dark room I was clearly able to see objects, though the faces are not overly clear. You would know someone was there but may not be able to identify them.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want a few extra grey hairs deal with this company, 13 July 2012
D. A. R. Surry (Wales) - See all my reviews
The camera arrived in a pretty box, that was the best bit. In order to install it you will find, on opening that you will need an extra cable to connect the camera to your router. Having purchased 2 cables I then followed the pigeon english instructions where you are requested to download installer software from the Tenvis website, again written in terrible English, once this is done, your about ready to install. I found on installation that the camera and the installation screen kept switching on and off. I tried a new cable and a reinstall, with the same problem. I requested BrandBase to replace the item as I beleived it to be faulty. They replied implying that I was incompetent to install it! I explained to them that I had spent a lifetime with computing and computing systems and wished them not to replace it, but that I wanted to return it to them and have the moneys refunded. I requested that they also spell out their returns procedure. They have refused to do this or comply with any of my requests, they have now stopped communicating altogether. I buy a lot through Amazon and have found that most traders are terrific in their customer relations.
This company you deal with at your peril. I will update this if and when I get a result.

Update Brandbase stated that they would only make a refund if I removed this review! When I notified Amazon that I didn't appreciate blackmail, they stepped in and resolved the problem and refunded all my costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but once set up - great!, 31 Dec 2012
N. Frei (London UK) - See all my reviews
To say the installation was tricky & fiddly is an understatement. Took me about 4 hours before I cracked it. I got a Virgin Superhub - this is how I made it work:-
1. Connect the camera to the router by cable
2. Run the setup thing
3. Change network settings as follows: Camera IP at 192.168.0.239, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Router (Gateway) on 192.168.0.1, DNS server on 194.168.4.100
4. Then go to the Router Admin tool, dive into Advanced mode, and set Port forwarding: forward service HTTP from port 81 to Camera 192.168.0.239
5. Somewhere along the way you can connect to the darn thang internally, then set the unique 4 digit user name and 6 digit access code for the DDNS service, after which you can connect to the cam from outside home via the interweb.

Fiddly but once it's set up, brilliant little toy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value security webcam, 16 May 2011
I bought the white one - it looks much better up on a wall. Setup went as smoothly as I could have hoped NB use the 'quick start' guide as it gets you though the essentials, including setting up your modem's internet firewall. The remote pan and tilt really does work over the internet, and this camera will let us watch our French property while we are anywhere on the planet. Email alarms are a sequence of stills, actually much better quality than the short video clips sent by my other webcam.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera but control panel software has big flaws, 26 Dec 2011
Darren Skidmore "darrenskidmore" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
After struggling to get wireless working because I got a dialog box titles ?? with two confirmation boxes labelled ?? and ?? I eventually got it working OK.

The camera is good and I am pleased with that but the software leaves a lot to be desired.

In particular the scheduler for motion capture. It is a grid showing days of week down the left and hours along the top amd you have to select the boxes for the hours you want to enable it (in 15 minute slots I think) but where decent software would allow you to click on, for example, Monday at 8am and drag to Friday at 4pm or even better just enter start and end times and select the days this is not the case with this software. Instead you have to click in every single (tiny) 15 minutes slot for each day which is very time consuming and annoying.

Then to add insult to injury if you turn off the motion detection because you know you will be at home during holidays etc, when you turn it back on it has completely forgotten all of the settings and has actually picked some randowm days/times.

If they sorted this out which should be very simple to do I think they will have more satisfied customers.

PS For the person that said the green light was annoying, you can turn it off under Indicator Display Mode in PTZ settings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat IP Cam, 9 Dec 2010
I wanted a cheap indoor IPcam for home surveillance and really came to like this one. It is slightly larger than I thought from the image, but still compact enough. Not very difficult to set up initially. The pan/tilt operates smoothly and very silently. Supports in-browser viewing (the interface is ok, but could be improved) but also comes with its own software to view and record from. IR reach is app. 5m. Image quality is ok. I set it up to upload a series of snapshots to my homeserver when the motion sensor gets triggered, which was easy to do and works very well. The only thing I could not get to work yet is for the camera to email me pics when triggered as the email interface does not seem to be compatible with Google Mail's authentication procedure - but maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. Can easily justify 4 stars for the price !

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget camera, needs IE for all features, ok on mac with firefox, 17 Dec 2010
Camera was easy to set up for my wireless network. Easy interface, and took about 10 minutes.

The main disadvantage was that it requires Internet explorer to use all of the features, which I didn't have (Apple Mac)
(You don't need IE to set up the camera)
This means that the sound doesn't work along with a few other features. But using firefox you get remote-control, live video feed, and most other features (upload to server etc)

For the price though, excellent.