5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and Accurate

Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:08 Mins
Published on 12 Jan. 2012 by L. F. Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and Accurate, 5 Jan. 2011
Finbar O'donovan (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Approach G3 GPS Golf Handheld (discountinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Have just been given one of these for Christmas.I had a basic golf GPS previously but the extra features of this more than justify the extra cost.Firstly,I no longer have to pay to download courses and there is no annual fee.The European data base is amazing .The Garmin even has the details of a local 9 hole par 3 course in it.I have only used it at my own course at the moment but am impressed by the level of detail.One small bunker ,on a short par 3, is missing but ,otherwise ,all the major course features are shown.I love the ability to zoom in ,on the full colour screen ,to measure the exact distance to a feature or to measure a "lay up " shot.I can also move the pin position on the green but,too be honest ,my game isn't accurate enough to bother.The ability to preview holes on any golf course is another bonus.I have played on or two featureless courses where it was difficult to decide exactly where the green was even though my other GPS told me how far away it was.With the Garmin you get a bird's eye view of every hole.No hazard should ever be a "hidden one" again!It is a pity the unit is not rechargeable and uses two AA batteries.The purchase of a rechargeable batteries is pretty essential.Four batteries and a charger cost me an extra £20 .Despite this, I am very pleased with the Gramin and look forward to using it in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Approach G3, 19 July 2011
I've had the Garmin Approach G3 for three weeks now and I've never looked back. It takes about 1 minute to establish a gps signal when I get at my course so I switch it on before a get the clubs out of the car etc...It will ask you to select a course then give you a list of the nearest courses to you.
You can measure you drive distance, (which is good for a laugh) or see how far it is to each hazzard before you play a shot, but the best about this little gem is when you get to your ball having teed off, you look down at the Garmin Approach G3 and it's telling you the exact distance to the centre of the green, there's is a function on it to zoom into the green and then you can click and drag the flag to where ever it is on the actual green. Fantastic. It's quite amusing to listen to your mates trying to guess to distance they have left.
I would recommend that you go to a big open space (school field) with the Garmin Approach G3 and take a note of the distance's you hit with each club as this will be benifical when your using it on the course.
The batteries lasted about 3x 18 hole rounds so i'll probably invest in some rechargable one's. The Garmin Approach G3 has knocked 4-5 shots off my average round and it does exactly what I bought it for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Video Review of Garmin G3 Approach, 12 Jan. 2012
L. F. Stone (Grays, Essex) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:08 Mins

Having made the purchase of a Garmin G3 Approach a few weeks ago, I am now slightly regretting having sold my previous GolfPlus GPS. I decided to change to the Garmin because it doesn't charge an annual subscription or one-off fees for each course you might want to play. The Garmin is excellent for those with good eyesight, though, and costs very little to run. I get three rounds easily from one set of rechargeable AA batteries, and because you can always carry a few spare charged batteries in your bag, there is no need to take the GPS indoors to recharge - and that really is a convenience if (like me) you sometimes forget to bring things with you to the golf course.

There are other features which I don't use - you can keep scores for yourself and the rest of a fourball, download your own scores to an Excel file and look at how you have done over time, measure your drives and pitches, and preview other courses. There is also a small (very small!) colour picture of the hole you are playing with its various features marked and yardages given. The yards to the pin are given on the top right and are always just about readable, but the other numbers are too blurred and tiny for me to read at all. You can move the flag about on the green, and take measurements even from wayward shot positions.

The database holds about 6000 European courses and your own will almost certainly be on there, but Garmin won't respond to individual requests to re-map a course and there are no facilities to re-map a course yourself. If your own course is mapped incorrectly (as mine is) then you'll just have to wait until it is perhaps remapped sometime in the future. Although I have found the display rather disappointing, it does work even in strong sunlight (better really than it does on a dull day) and when you press the display it will brighten considerably.

28th January 2012 (Update) - Following my email to Garmin where I asked them to re-map my own course, I'm pleased to say that this was done in time for the January update of the European course database. Garmin now claim to have 7200 European courses mapped. The accuracy of the yardages shown is excellent, and pretty much the same as those on other GPS systems (including the premium ones). There is an attachment you can buy for your electric trolley which allows you to have your GPS in plain sight as you walk along. This does make it slightly easier to read, although the display is worse than any of the competition. In case you are thinking of buying the G5, this also has the same miserable display. If it weren't for this, it really would be a 5 star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Golf GPS, 24 April 2012
An excellent easy to use product with every golf course we could think of included. The accompanying strap and clip is good for attaching it to the golf trolley. Use with rechargeable batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars great bit of kit, 22 Oct. 2014
Let me start by saying wow what a cool gps unit this is, since I brought it, my approach shot is so much more near the pin people have remarked on how my short game has improved and thats just what I brought it for I know how long my 56,52 and pitching wedge go so just a glance and pick the club, plus it helps me with my course management. I used to hit a five iron of the tee, short par 4 298 yards,at the course that I am a member of and had too hit it well to get a good second shot with a low iron on to the green, the thing is the pressure to hit the five iron good was my down fall before I got this gps, after turning it on and taking a look at the first hole I moved the pointer to distance of my 7 iron easier to hit and the one I practice with the most, and found by the unit that I could hit my nine iron on to the green, no pressure I thought, and I've par the hole more times than I can remember its like having a caddy with you taking the pressure of every shot

Anyway can't give this enough praise, oh and use good rechargeable batteries my 1700amh last me a couple of rounds easy hope this helps
cheers Trev

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Approach G3, 17 Mar. 2011
I bought the Garmin Approach G3 really on the strength of reviews and Garmins reputation. I can honestly say that neither have let me down, this is an excellect item which is easy to operate it has all the functions you'd want from a golf GPS. There are no course download or annual subscriptions to worry about, I must admit that I was slightly worried wether I'd be able to read the screen as I normally have to wear glasses to read, my worries were unfounded, the on screen text is large and clear the user interface (touch screen) is fantastic and only took a few minutes of ues to get the hang of all the facilities of the G3.

If I ware to be really critical, I would like to have had a soft travel case supplied, I would also like the unit to come with a charger and rechargeable batteries, for the price this would be very little outlay for Garmin. I would not hesitate to recommend this GPS to any of my friends. QUALITY.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Garmin G3 Approach Golf GPS Unit, 29 Oct. 2012
Whilst the first device had barely adequate screen brightness indoors, it was absolutely useless in bright sunshine. Thinking that this was a one-off product fault, I raised a complaint with Amazon and they agreed to ship another one out to me immediately. The second one was marginally better but still not bright enough for me to see without changing my spectacles. Swapping your glasses each time you get to your ball is not something that would be taken lightly by my playing buddies - even less by opponents in a tight inter-club match - not to mention the extra pressure and risk of dropping or losing one of the pairs of specs. on the course. Had the screen been much brighter (or larger) I am sure that I would have been pleased with my purchase. For people in a similar situation to myself, I would add that I use a Garmin Sat-Nav in the car and have no problem whatsoever in reading it but, there, it is rarely in full sunshine. My reading glasses are 2.5 dioptres stronger than my distance glasses, so somebody with weaker reading glasses may well be able to read the screen, probably just by shading it with their free hand.

Response time was good and, on first use it obtained a satellite fix and listed my local courses within a couple of minutes. Once a course has been selected the GPS locked onto that location and further fixes were much quicker. Unfortunately, as it was impractical for me to use the device during actual play, I cannot vouch for the battery capacity. One of the proposed uses I had in mind was for the location of hazards on an unfamiliar course. In this respect I can confirm that details of my home course were accurate and very clearly represented.

Both instruments were returned to Amazon within 7 days of receipt of the first one and I was very happy to have the credit back in my account within two working days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and covers all golf course, 16 Oct. 2013
This Garmin is loaded with all the courses in the North West - and I have already used it on 5 different courses and it works great. I also have plans to go to Portugal for a golf trip - and it also has those courses loaded - so so need for buying any local course planners for 3 or 4 pounds anymore - so it is a great deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gamin Approach G3 GPS Unit, 29 May 2013
Needs charging batteries each round. Does not always go automatically to next hole.
Sometimes obviously inaccurate. Would advise looking at an alternative

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little device - Highly recommend, 11 April 2014
I purchased this last week and it arrived the next day as expected. Having read some of the reviews, I purchased rechargeable batteries and a charger before it arrived due to concerns over battery life. The device didn't actually come with batteries, so I'm glad I did.

I am really impressed with how snug this unit is. I've seen some of the guys at my course using the old GPS units and they are much bigger. The G3 fits nicely in my pocket and was barely noticeable. Its also comes with a belt attachment, which can be removed.

The unit has a handy practice mode feature, so you can load any course using location or the search menu, and have a play around with it before getting to your course. It was so easy to use, I've not even bothered opening the instructions. After 5 minutes using it in practice mode, I was happy to go to the course and use it during a competition.

I used it on my course on Saturday and was really, really impressed. The screen is clear enough to make out the distances (even with sun glare), you can zoom and also move the target around on the fairway or the green. This is extremely useful if you want to know how far to bunker or landing zone. It's also useful if the pin location changes regularly (front/middle/back). Having used a shot saver for the last 2 years, I can't believe I didn't get one of these sooner.

Some friends have purchased GPS watches for over £100 more than I have paid for this uni, but they cannot get a distance to a specific location, something I think is really useful. It also feels a lot more robust than some of the watches I have see/tried out.

Pros:

- Easy to use
- Lightweight
- Clear in sunlight
- Can save your score
- Can measure shot distance (has to be active before you leave where you have played your ball*)
- Can select a specific point on hole for a landing zone, change of pin etc.
- Colour screen
- No subscription to courses
- Loads very quickly

Cons:
- Didn't come with batteries
- Perhaps a tiny little bit fiddly if you don't zoom in before trying to move target area (just a minor thing).

Overall:

I would HIGHLY recommend this unit. Really, really impressed with it so far, and purchased at a great price.