on 12 June 2011
This is very well made butterfly safety razor! Just can not believe somebody still makes stuff that good :) Best with Gillette 7 O'CLOCK double edge blades for me...
on 23 April 2013
I decided to come back to a safety razor after many years of using an electric shaver. I have found the Parker 99R has surpassed my expectations. It has a good solid feel and the extra length suits me fine. It shaves very close and is comfortable on the skin without causing a 'shaver rash'.
If you are considering buying a safety razor at a reasonable price I have no hesitation in recommending the Parker 99R Barberpole.
on 16 March 2012
The only thing I have to compare this to is the Merkur HD, which has the shorter handle. After using the Parker I realise that the longer handle makes a big difference to my shave. The Merkur gets a little lost in my big hand, but on a positive note it is a better size for travelling, so I will use it for my travel bag, and now I will use the Parker for my daily shave at home. I have done around 4 shaves now and the barber pole allows me to get a more balanced grip, so I can judge my angles better and get a really light touch. Lets face it these are 2 things that are important if you want to get a close, smooth shave and reduce the liklihood of cuts and irritation. Another positive note is that, like the Merkur, it has an excellent grip, even with wet hands. I like the butterfly opening mechanism as it is more convenient for cleaning/drying the razor. On a final note, I would also say that this is a fantastic looking razor, the chrome finish is stunning. Very happy shaver.
on 11 April 2013
Having lost patience with the ever increasing costs of cartridge razor replacements I have gone back to a twin edge razor, this is well made and very sturdy. You get just as close a shave as twin, triple or quad blade cartridges.
on 19 November 2012
This has been my best purchase in a good while. It has a perfect length and weight for my own preferences when it comes to shaving and it is very sturdy and easy to use. Operation is very simple the only thing you have to be careful about is making sure you properly tighten it as otherwise the blade moves in the head and causes irritation.

In general use I can't fault it at all, it is easy to clean and doesn't slip in the hand thanks to the finish on the handle. Delivers an excellent shave, it takes longer than a normal razor to get a close shave but it does a much better job of it. And its actually quicker for a fast shave if you don't want a close shave it will get you down to the standard of an electric razor shave very fast and more comfortably than a multiblade as it won't pull like they do so you can go faster. However there is a definate skill element involved, after a few months you get faster at achieving a really close shave with less irritation if any.

I matched it up with some wilkinson sword blades to start out with as they have a reputation for being a balanced blade being neither to sharp nor too dull. It was a good choice for me but I will still try out some feather blades eventually but out of a pack of 10 I have barely used half since I got the razor ten months ago. It has saved a lot of money just on blades alone as my heavy growth was murder on conventional blades.

In terms of other things to go with it like soap I have found what I use doesn't make a huge difference. You can use normal modern stuff as easily as normal shaving soap it doesn't really matter if it works for you. At the moment my perfect combination is a nivea pre shave scrub which removes all irritation and nomad shaving soap which comes in the wooden bowl. I have tried a bunch of other soaps and foams but so far the nomad is the best of the bunch.
on 21 June 2015
As someone who has suffered with ingrown hairs for years and years, I finally found out that it was the multi-blade razors that were causing the trouble. I read somewhere, by chance, that it was the multiple cutting action of the modern razors that give the hairs a razor sharp needle point when you're done shaving, causing ingrowing hairs.

Literally from the first time I went back to basics with this single blader, I've had no pain, soreness or ingrowing hairs. Admittedly you get a nick here or there, as was always the case with the traditional shaver, but the overall result is no more "death by a thousand needles" feeling on day 2 or 3 after shaving with a multi blade razor.

Onto the quality. Wow! Such a silky smooth open / close action to secure the safety blade inside the head mechanism. The whole thing makes you feel like you've gone to a super high end DIY barbers for a really neat and traditional neck shave.

To top it off, the thing was like £20 something ?? Unbelievable... Time will tell whether it rusts, jams or otherwise breaks, but quite frankly, I think thats highly unlikely as the finish is totally superb and with proper care and drying etc. it's just not going to happen.

Well done Parker, a brilliant job here.
on 10 September 2011
This is a brilliant razor i started of with the Parker 22R that i thought was a good heavy duty razor and given that the 99R was heavier and slightly longer i decided to try it and i was not disapointed, it feels great in your hand and it gives you a very close comfortable shave, the build quality is good and the barber pole handle enables you to use it with wet hands however if your not used to double edge razors and you decide to try this then take your time as this being a close shaving razor it would be very easy to cut yourself, but dont let that put you of, ive been converted from expensive cartridge type razors for a number of years now and use my safety razor every day and very rarely cut myself. In a nut shell i love the Parker 99R coupled with a good soap and blade you wont get much better and the price is very resonable, i had my eye on a vintage Gillette Fatboy as i love that solid build quality but the short handle put me of whereas the Parkers handle alone is 4 inches, now if parker made the 99R adjustable (like the Fatboy) then that would be somthing else. I always take the blade out and dry both the blade and the razor evertime i use it and with doing so i can see this lasting me a life time. So if you are after a good quality heavy duty razor that will last you a lifetime for a very reasonable price then buy this you wont be disapointed i promise you.
on 1 December 2011
This is my first safety razor. Comparing it with multi blade razors I can say that it has some advantages such as low prized blades, effective weight and stylish look. Butterfly open is really easy to handle and secures the blade. I'm happy with this purchase.
on 1 June 2013
Quite expensive and seems very sturdy and is fairly heavy.
Annoyingly the handle is smooth with the end only slightly ridged and with wet hands the razor can slide around a little.
You stand no chance of undoing the mechanism until you dry everything first.
I'll look for another brand if this one ever breaks.
on 18 July 2013
Brilliant product, very happy I purchased for this price and would definately recommend to the next buyer. Cannot fault the product and would buy again.

See one answered question