4.0 out of 5 stars Convenience
Having seen all the negative comments, I too was skeptical, but thought I might as well take up the two-week trial. So far, so good. I travel a lot, so getting and carrying the physical magazines is a bit of a bother. Using the kindle avoids that problem. I find I also read more of the magazine on the kindle, than I would the physical magazine. It's just a bit easier to...
Published on 1 Oct 2010 by Kindled

1.0 out of 5 stars If you're already a print/digital (ie non-Kindle) subscriber READ THIS
All you have to do is download the program Calibre, and in the "Fetch News" section, go to "English" where you'll find both The Economist and The Economist Free. Select "The Economist", enter your login details (e-mail address and password), and the program will download your issue and upload to your kindle (via USB) free of charge. No need to pay Amazon for the privilege.
Published on 8 Dec 2010 by B. Weiler

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Magazine in an Excellent Format, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I have often enjoyed the Economist in print form but have not bought it regularly..

I hesitated before making this subscription only because of the early negative reviews - but I am now so pleased I went ahead.

Basically one receives a choice of ways to access the content once received. One may scroll through a series of photos with headlines and jump in at any point or one may access a table of contents with each section and article accessible independently or consecutively. l have favoured the latter and have simply read the magazine through article following article. The beauty is that there are none of the distractions one would face in magazine forn - nothing to draw the eye away as so often happens. The articles are so informative and wide-ranging that it is a pleasure to read through the sections. The content is always intelligent and intelligible
The downloaded version contains photos and graphs with the articles although I have not compared this to the print version.

Being weekly it can be a struggle to read it through but I find myself skipping less than I would do if faced with the printed page and enjoy the content and the format.

The monthly price seems very fair to me at 9.99 compared to the print edition Saturday's magazine is downloaded to my Kindle Thursday evening and I am impressed by the archive system - it automatically keeps copies for 7 issues - and the option to save/keep an issue or a specific article.

There seems to be an occasional formatting 'problem' with an item starting on the last line of a page before continuing on the next page but this does not affect the pleasure I gain from the overall experience.

I feel I am accessing news and comment on important national and international matters without the extraneous content that newspapers fill their pages with these days. As you can tell I feel able to recommend this without reservation - contrary to some earlier commentators and critics of this eMagazine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Are they having a laugh!?!, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
No way am I going to pay this abominable price... To Economist, please sack the person who sets the prices for this - and then promptly instigate a massive reduction.

1.0 out of 5 stars 9.99 in VAT for what period?, 26 Aug 2010
CMB (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
Looked over and over, and the only place that mentions how long the subscription is for is the reviews!

Is it 9.99 per year (I buy most of my physical magazine subs annually), which would be reasonable considering cost of delivery is so low.

Or is it per issue? Per month?

How can such an important factor be missing?

1.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive!, 20 April 2013
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
When will publishers understand pricing? I used to be a regular subscriber to the paper copy of The Economist. I cancelled it when I regularly failed to read it.

At this price for a digital edition, my head can control my heart. I'll continue with Google News.

The Independent/Guardian/Times and others, should look at their own Kindle pricing.

Get your pricing right, and you have a customer waiting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality - reasonable price., 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
The Economist is unlike any other news magazine on the market. The degree of depth it produces in both its news output and featured articles is second to none; and what's more impressive is the fact this is produced every week.

Many people, however, who are considering to buy are probably very much aware of this. The difference here is the convenience having it available on the Kindle gives you. Few of us have the time to read The Economist cover to cover in one sitting, and as such the magazine is left in our bags, on desks, in our rooms. But on Kindle it's with you all the time. Each article can be browsed through from the easy to use contents page; or read cover to cover like a book.

I actually find that rather than skimming through bits and pieces when I have the time or when i've bought an issue, I end up reading each edition more fully.

Yes - paying for a subscription for the paper copy may be cheaper long term - especially with the offers they feature - however the key here is convenience. And a Kindle edition is a BIG plus point to improve readability and access to something as weighty as The Economist.

I do think however, that long-term, pricing across editions will need to be harmonised, but the current price of 9.99 IS already worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jock Joke cover, 14 April 2012
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
The "Economist" may have economic advisers who are good at jokes about minorities but missed forecasting the large economic disaster that we are all suffering from due in part to the City of London and its blind greed. Looking forward to joke covers about the rest of the UK.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless & superficial, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
A collection of useless and superficial comments by supercilious leftist journalists wont to take the moral high ground. The only interesting part is the statistics tables

The Economist - UK Edition