4.0 out of 5 stars Convenience
Published on 1 Oct. 2010 by Kindled

1.0 out of 5 stars If you're already a print/digital (ie non-Kindle) subscriber READ THIS
All you have to do is download the program Calibre, and in the "Fetch News" section, go to "English" where you'll find both The Economist and The Economist Free. Select "The Economist", enter your login details (e-mail address and password), and the program will download your issue and upload to your kindle (via USB) free of charge. No need to pay Amazon for the privilege.
Published on 8 Dec. 2010 by B. Weiler

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers, 1 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I'd been waiting for availability in the UK for months. At this price it's nonsensical.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why do I have to pay twice?, 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I already pay £117 per year for a print subscription to the Economist. It's great that that subscription also gives me free access to their online edition and to their IPad edition.

However, if I wish to read the same content - which I have already paid for - on my Kindle, I have to pay an additonal £120 a year?!?

I contacted Economist subscriptions about this, and received a standard response telling me how I could access The Economist on my Kindle for 'just £9.99 per month'. I think the most disappointing thing about this was that they failed (deliberately?) to answer my question about why accessing the content on Kindle is any different to downloading an edition using the Ipad app.

Very disillusioned by this, particularly as I had been a real fan of the Economist's subscription model up to now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too expensive!, 24 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
As has been said by other reviewers, this is way too expensive when compared to a print subscription.

I tried Skweezer to view the Economist's website (as another reviewer recommended)and while that is good, obviously the proper Kindle version is far easier to flip through and user-friendly than using the website.

I can see many benefits of the Kindle subscription over the paper subscription or using the website, however the price is too high to be worth it.

Admittedly electronic versions have VAT where as print doesn't, but even taking VAT out of the equation the price is still high (particularly when compared to the cost of similar Kindle magazines).

I will be cancelling my 14 day trial and either using the website or buying the dead-tree version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenience, 1 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
Having seen all the negative comments, I too was skeptical, but thought I might as well take up the two-week trial. So far, so good. I travel a lot, so getting and carrying the physical magazines is a bit of a bother. Using the kindle avoids that problem. I find I also read more of the magazine on the kindle, than I would the physical magazine. It's just a bit easier to have on you and less likely to be left lying around and forgotten.

The price doesn't bother me too much if I'm going to be reading most of the magazine regularly. However, I don't see why kindle subscribers can't benefit from all the online options. Hence I docked a star, but otherwise I'm very happy with it and plan to continue with my subscription.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD, 10 May 2013
James "James" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
It remains a real disappointment that no digital edition is available for the Kindle Fire/Kindle Fire HD. The Kindle only edition is entirely in black and white and makes for a poor reading experience.

The Economist are lagging behind other leading newspapers/magazines in providing a full colour Kindle Fire edition and until they do I would advise potential subscribers to hold off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I subscribe to the print version of The Economist, and have done so for years, and would prefer to change the method of delivery so that I receive it on my Kindle instead of by post. Having looked into this, I find that that is not possible, but that I have to pay more for the Kindle version, and accept degraded access to the Economist's Web site. That's just not sensible, so I'm not going to do it. I'm going to stay with paper until the cost of the electronic version comes down to match the paper price. Get a grip, Economist!

5.0 out of 5 stars Without advertising, you get what you pay for, 25 Feb. 2011
Mr. Gwilym A. Ellis (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
The Kindle edition of the Economist has no advertising so they have to charge more. Kindle Store is littered with cheap publications and I am glad that the Economist is not one of them as I don't like reading things that are badly typeset, translated or proof read. Or chock full of adverts. If you want something cheap to read on the tube get a free Evening Standard (which, like most good newspapers, loses money). Plumbers, estate agents and local government all overcharge for a lousy service so save your ire for them, because margins - and profits - in publishing are tiny. The Economist Kindle Edition has been done properly, putting excellent content into a well designed package and, if you really can't afford a few extra pounds a month (which I find hard to believe if you have just splashed out on a Kindle), then aren't you lucky that you have the option of downgrading to the print edition. This is the first magazine I have tried reading on a Kindle and I was quite sceptical, but it really works - you can get to any article with just a few clicks, and the simple monochrome text is less distracting than the printed edition. The only bit I will miss is watching other people make a dash for the old copies I leave behind on the tube when I have finished reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best weekly.., 29 July 2013
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
This weekly beats all the others. It's informative and curious about the undercurrents in politics, business and economic affairs. You might think it's just a apologist for liberal capitalism but it is much more discerning. It spotted the shame of Berlusconi and the authoritarianism of Erdogan and corruption in many states without losing sight of the difficulties these states face. It certainly beats the pants off pretty well all the Sunday papers. Well written and to the point, it will get you up to speed on most issues either on the quick review or the in-depth levels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off, 9 Aug. 2012
Gionnelle (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
Receive less content for the same price as the print subscription? No thank you.

When I contacted The Economist about this pricing system, they first tried to avoid the question, then were slow to respond and vague when I pressed them. The take home message: the pricing system is here to stay.

Excellent content but shamefully let down by greed and lack of concern for the customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is subscriber login?, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
As a fan and existing subscriber to print and online I'd like to login via this black and white device. You're not seriously expecting us to pay twice for same content I hope...

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›