4.0 out of 5 stars Convenience
Having seen all the negative comments, I too was skeptical, but thought I might as well take up the two-week trial. So far, so good. I travel a lot, so getting and carrying the physical magazines is a bit of a bother. Using the kindle avoids that problem. I find I also read more of the magazine on the kindle, than I would the physical magazine. It's just a bit easier to...
Published on 1 Oct 2010 by Kindled

All you have to do is download the program Calibre, and in the "Fetch News" section, go to "English" where you'll find both The Economist and The Economist Free. Select "The Economist", enter your login details (e-mail address and password), and the program will download your issue and upload to your kindle (via USB) free of charge. No need to pay Amazon for the privilege.
Published on 8 Dec 2010 by B. Weiler

1.0 out of 5 stars If you're already a print/digital (ie non-Kindle) subscriber READ THIS, 8 Dec 2010
B. Weiler - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Only get half a subscription for more money!, 7 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I agree with all the previous reviews, the price is horrendously expensive for an electronic version, more expensive than the magazine. The benefit for me was that it is electronic and I can then read it on any my kindle devices, but after subscribing I found out that magazine subscriptions can only be viewed on one device. Reading it on the kindle is great, but I am annoyed that I can't read it on my android phone as well. I don't always take the Kindle with me and would like to continue reading it on the odd occasion either on my phone or Ipad. It is also worth noting that you do not get access to the online content as you would get if you subscribe to the paper version of the economist. I feel a bit cheated that I pay more for the Kindle version and I get less of a subscription. I won't continue my subscription until they at least give me all the benefits that the print version gets or make it cheaper.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrendously expensive for an otherwise excellent publication, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I am an avid Economist reader, voraciously devouring every morsel of information and analysis each week. I have been looking forward to the arrival of The Economist on Kindle for UK customers for quite a while, as I would value the instant delivery when it hits news-stands on Thursday above waiting for my copy to arrive by post on Friday, but I have been shocked at how expensive it is. I pay 23.00 a quarter for my physical copy subscription, which also includes the free audio edition (which I seldom use) and access to Economist.com (which I often use). In light of this, I would expect the Kindle subscription to retail perhaps at a slight premium, even without the periphery webiste access, and for it to garner a sizeable Kindle following as a result. However, at a 30 percent premium to the printed edition it seems that the Economist is either reluctant to lose print subscribers to the Kindle edition or ambivalent about attracting new subscribers. I do not know how the pricing structure works for periodical publishing on Kindle but I believe the inflated price can partly be attributed to Amazon's cut. Such a shame, since more people would otherwise surely enjoy such a fine publication as much as I do at a more reasonable price point.

I should note that the Kindle subscription price is still lower than buying each issue at retail but this is of little consequence when cheaper subscriptions to The Economist are available. I have grudgingly awarded it an extra star in light of the great quality of the content - otherwise, it's a one star from me on price.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Economist pricing, 7 April 2011
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
Rip off Britain is alive and well!!
The pricing for the Kindle version of The Economist is a stitch-up!
More expensive than the hard copy and no access to economist.com and fewer graphs/photos.
When I contacted The Economist I was told that Amazon controls the pricing. When I called Amazon they said that the publisher sets the price!!
This is just taking the customer to the cleaners so I have just cancelled my hard copy subscription in protest. There are other similar magazines on offer on the Kindle from publishers who still value their customers and who are ready to share the savings that result from an electronic edition rather than a hard copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars not fair, 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
as a print edition subscriber for many years i cant believe i have to pay twice to get it on my Kindle. come on Economist, you are annoying your customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality poor price, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
the economist is an excellent magazine but between amazon and the economist they have managed to come up with a price point that is too high. please please reconsider. we all want to subscribe...but at a reasonable price

2.0 out of 5 stars An excellent magazine, but doesnt justify the price in this format, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of the economist, and in fact the availability of it on the kindle swayed me into purchasing the kindle.

The content itself is good - its the economist, with all of the articles.

However you lose out on the majority of pictures and graphics (although where a graph is important for understanding an article, you do get one - but only one - graph).

I would happily do without the pictures and graphs in order to increase kindle readability - however
I feel this should be reflected by a lower price. It need not be as low as the spectator at 2.99 as the economist is much better, but I think 9.99 subscription and especially the 3.99 for an individual is too much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously overpriced, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
The Economist on the Kindle is three times the price of its rivals, The New Statesman and The Spectator.

Which is silly when you can read the web edition on your kindle. Though the 'mobile' edition of the Economist lacks many articles, Google skweezer and browse the Economist through there - bingo! A mobile-ified version of the Economist magazine to read on your Kindle - free and legal!

Of course, having it in proper Kindle format would be great, but I'd pay 2.99 a month for it (like I do for the NS and Spectator) - not 10 quid!

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon kindle = economist swindle, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
This should be f.o.c for economist subscribers. I have been a subscriber for years and would like to read the editions on my swindle.. sorry kindle. I would not expect to pay extra

1.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Economist - UK Edition (Kindle Edition)
I'd been waiting for availability in the UK for months. At this price it's nonsensical.

ARRAY(0xb3d4c144)