on 25 July 2012
This is the worst book I've ever had. REALLY. This "business book" contains 70 secret hints and great advice like:

- Always give good tip, because the waitress could be your boss sometime.

- Your mum does a great job, she does the cleaning, cooks your meal, drives you to sport,... this goes on and on and on. Afterwards the author explains what titles she should have. Cook, Maid, CEO,... Awesome, isn't it?

- If you own a company or are some kind of boss in one, always put good finance people in the finance department and good sales people in the sales department.

- If you are a clerk in the post dept., working on Saturdays (for sure you will!) and a customer calls the company, just pick up the phone and send the needed stuff with a chartered helicopter.

I'm very sorry that I can't bring more examples since I forgot most of this useless information.

This is the biggest waste of money, even though it's cheap. Don't recognize this as a gift to a friend because he could be offended by you thinking he is kind of dopey.

Although I thought about writing my own business book with further great advice like these, I give you the 71st and 72nd tip for free:

71. When you visit your companies' restroom, always flush afterwards.

72. Don't waste your money on this book!

Actually I feel like I have to excuse myself for being that sarcastic, but this book leaves me no other choice. I don't want to blame someone, but I REALLY can't understand why someone beside the "author" and his friends can leave a good review on this book. Even one star is too much.
I have read and then reviewed all of Jeff Fox's previous books and thus was eager to read his newest one in which he shares "business lessons learned at the dinner table" while he and other contributors to this volume were growing up. Of special interest to me is how skillfully Fox uses real-world situations to illustrate the lessons' practical value.

For example, one story in Chapter II focuses on Guiseppe ("Joe") Italo who was the only person at work one Saturday, sorting and distributing his company's mail. He answered a call from an especially important customer who had an emergency. Joe solved the problem by hiring a helicopter to deliver the needed product. Later, the chairman of Joe's company (a "notoriously tightfisted skinflint") was outraged to learn about the incident. Then he received a call from the customer. "I am president of [a U.S. automobile manufacturer]. I was told that you have a guy working there who saved my company maybe millions of dollars. I think is name is Joe Italo, or something like that. Please bill us for the helicopter, and be assured that we will never forget what you did for us." Joe was willing to go (as Napoleon Hill would describe it) "the extra mile" but he also demonstrates the power and value of personal initiative. In this context, I am reminded that there are only two rules for Nordstrom's employees: #1 Use good judgment and #2 See rule #1.

Throughout his narrative, Fox cites dozens of other examples, many of them contributed by a diverse group individuals who also learned valuable lessons from "the kitchen table, or its equivalent" that has been "the center of families of all cultures in all places since the cavemen discovered fire." Of special interest to me is Fox's observation that, to get to the top, become an effective multi-tasker: "juggle like Mom. Meticulously manage your time. Keep a list. Stay organized. Be relentless. Get a lot done every day. Plan. Be on time. Stay healthy. Don't complain. Be like Mom: No matter the pain, don't complain."

I especially appreciate Fox's wit that adds a special seasoning to the series of observations. Here's a brief selection, obviously out of context:

"Speak sweetly, you may have to eat your words."
"Tip as if you were the tippee."
"Bad ROT is bad return on time."
The rainmaker's S.W. Rule: "Some will. Some won't. So what?"
"Let the customer park as close to your cash register as possible. You park in the rain. Be a rainmaker."
"Keep listening until you hear ka-ching."
"Always be ready to play. And never forget your playing shoes."
"If you are reluctant to bring a [job] candidate home for dinner, don't invite him, and don't hire him."
"Don't give the Jewish guy a pork roast."
"Sour milk is bad. Sour grapes is worse."

In several of his previous books, Fox has shared his thoughts about "rainmaking" which, in essence, is the process by which to create or increase demand for whatever one offers while establishing and then sustaining mutually beneficial relationships with everyone involved in the given enterprise. Quantify (i.e. "dollarize") the value of what you offer to each prospect and customer and you will create "rain." Preferably, a deluge of new and repeat business. Here's the formula: Rain = revenue.

In How to Get to the Top, Fox brilliantly uses an extended metaphor, the dinner table, when asserting that for everyone - as children, spouses, parents, and grandparents - there are important life lessons as well as business lessons to be learned at the dinner table, wherever it may be, whoever else is seated around it. Frankly, until I began to read this book, I was uncertain what Fox means by "the top," especially the recurring reference to CEO in the titles of his earlier works. One man's opinion (mine), I think for Fox and everyone else, "the top" is not a location nor even a destination; rather, it is a process by which to become the very best human being each of us can be. That process never ends because each of us will always be a "work in progress." If we can apply the lessons to be learned from others, and if we can also learn from our own experiences (especially failures, setbacks, and disappointments), we can - and will - become better human beings. In other words, rain = wisdom.

That is Jeff Fox's hope for those who read his book. It is a great and admirable expectation.
on 17 December 2012
It took me only a day to read this management book. It's very small, but still very informative. In the book you will find 55 chapters filled with tips on how you can work yourself to the top. The chapters are small stories of people in the business world, which show the reader how to handle certain situations.

I must say I really enjoyed this book. It was just really fun to read. Jeffrey J. Fox makes it easy to read his book(s). I would suggest reading this book when you're on a train or when you want to get cozy in your chair at home. I would also like to underline the fact that this book is for people who want to work and become a great manager or employee. This book isn't boring, but you need to have the passion for becoming a good worker.

I would recommend this book for all people, from ages 18 and up. It's a great book although it's small and may not seem as exciting as it looks. If you need to read a management book for school, or if you want to read some tips on how to get to the top, read this book.