Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 September 2010
Le Savy Fav are a five-piece band from New York City
who have much, not least of all their infectious energy,
to recommend them. They are : Tim Harrington/vocals;
Seth Jabour and Andrew Reuland/guitars; Syd Butler/bass and
Harrison Haynes/drums. Together they deliver a heady mix
of well-crafted, raucous and uplifting musical mayhem.

There are eleven tracks in the collection and they are
all pretty much upbeat in character. A punkish power runs
through it like a cocky silver seam. Its the kind of music
I'd be more than happy to jump around to if I were better
able to coordinate four paws and a tail.

The clamour and clatter of opening track 'Appetites' is a
hoot! Mr Harrington spits out the words like a gattling gun!

The chiming guitars and four-square beat of 'Sleepless In
Silverlake' got me thinking about some of The Psychedelic
Furs finer moments (1984's 'Here Come Cowboys' in particular).

'Let's Get Out Of Here' struts and swaggers like a bunch
of rampant lads on the razzle. The sing-along chorus begs to
be, erm, sung along to. In a live performance I can imagine
that it would bring the house down! Sterling stuff!!

'High and Unhinged' is another addictive and very funny bash.

Final track 'Clear Spirits' almost boils over with its own
enthusiasm. Big, booming beats; howling guitar and another
full-on performance from Mr Harrington cannot hide, however,
this fine little band's innate musicality.

Scatty and Gritz (the cubs) have stolen it already. I predict
another week of air guitar posturing and red bandanas ahead!

I loved every last noisy minute of it!

Highly Recommended.
on 12 September 2010
I bought this album on pre-release through i-Tunes even though I don't have an i-pod as I was desperate to get to know the new material before we saw LSF play it live in London this weekend. I was very glad I did - as with previous LSF albums the music and lyrics are not obvious and in my experience take several listens before you start to really appreciate them. But now I have also heard most of the album live as well I can say that LSF have released another brilliant set of tracks. From the reviews I was a bit worried that LSF might have produced an average album - but now I realise that it is indeed an average album - average for LSF which means outstanding compared with most other bands.

Whereas Lets Stay Friends experimented more, this album gets back to the sound they have already perfected - but this sound is so breathtakingly beautiful yet charged with energy that it seems very unfair to criticise them for producing more of it! The lyrics are painfully honest as always, and the mood is not always upbeat - disillusionment of various kinds is a recurring theme. This means that it is not a 'feel-good' album, but will speak to anyone (surely everyone!) who has experienced disappointment or loss, and although they may have (perhaps temporarily) lost some of their joie-de-vivre, as they point out themselves, they still have not lost their appetite - or their excellent sense of humour. And of course the live show was incredible as always and really succeeding in breaking down the barriers between the band and the crowd - I was privileged but not by any means alone to get an unexpected bear-hug from Tim Harrington in the middle of the set!
on 6 November 2014
Much better than the previous album, sounds like it is slightly out of tune. It'll grow on you. Kind of reminds me of Pere Ubu, but in a different vein. Tim sounds like he's finally lost it this time. Great! Probably their finest hour!
on 12 October 2015
Fantastic service, and a great album!
on 22 October 2010
This album had a lot to live up to. 'Lets Stay Friends' was great and although they're not going to top that, I did kind of hope they'd be able to match it.
The opening track, Appetites is pretty good but from there on I'm afraid too much of it just sounds like a second rate version of the previous album. Particularly awful is 'Let's Get Out Of Here', almost lazy, bland and repetitive enough to get played on the radio.
There are some decent tracks on here and I'm sure a lot of people will like it. Fair enough, but maybe check it out before buying. I wish I had.