4.0 out of 5 stars They say you're only as old as you feel, right? Well Disc 6 makes me feel as old as Methuselah!, 23 Sep 2013
Hal Marshall "Battling For My Ex-Wife's Heart..." (From a Suitably Safe Distance!) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
This was quite a brave little purchase for me, all things considered. The opportunity to buy a compilation album of any description is usually an occasion of great personal joy and celebration (well, unless you're my bank manager, at any rate), but I don't often stray too far from the comforting embrace of 'Music I Remember From My Childhood'.

The only problem with that though, is that most people who know me think I am too scared to face the modern world; they think that I live in a little 80s bubble, thumbing through my old copies of 'Smash Hits' while pouring bags of Salt & Vinegar Discos and cans of Lilt down my neck like they're going out of fashion. Which, to be fair (apart from the fact that I can't stand Lilt), is a pretty accurate representation of the truth. This particular box-set however, looked like it would have the capacity to indulge my more old-fashioned musical tastes while also giving me a little flavour of the more modern musical hits that have invariably managed to completely pass me by.

I could barely type in my credit card details fast enough.

The fact that this very generous 6 disc set contains 2 whole CDs devoted to my beloved 80s did postpone my leap into the musical unknown quite considerably. And I did at least recognise every single song on those discs, plus all of those given the job here of representing the 60s and the 70s and really doing those decades proud. That 70s disc seemed to get a bit confused when I played it though my computer, because it was the track list to CD3 that came up alongside it. But, if you ask me, that just goes to show what a popular decade the 80s was.

The two actual 80s discs provided no great musical surprises for a serial compilation collector like me, although it was nice to see such a wide range of genres represented.

I set off on my adventure into the 90s with a good deal of joy in my heart, since I recognised the names of more than half the tracks on here straight away. And, my joy turned to a sense of awe and wonder when I played it and realised that the rest of them were familiar to me as well. I had quite forgotten how fantastic 'Your Woman' by White Town is. In fact, I had quite forgotten how good the 90s were for music as a whole.

I'd be lying if I said Disc 6 left me feeling anything other than ancient and completely square though. In fact I feel even more of a has-been now, because I don't even know what the modern parlance for being 'square' is. There are songs I definitely liked on this disc, but most of the tracks are so LOUD that the effect of them upon my ears is really just about all I have been able to take away from them. Heavens above, Disc 6 has left me feeling as old as the hills and more of a curmudgeon than Victor Meldrew. And I paid good money for it!

God bless KT Tunstall and Lily Allen for letting me cling on to their very familiar contributions from Disc 6 for dear life while I dipped my hairy toes in the semi-modern musical water of Incredibly-Loud-Music-By-People-I-Had-Never-Previously-Heard-Of. And God bless Beverley Knight, for so thoughtfully covering 'Piece of My Heart; a classic song, given the 'modern' yet quiet treatment.

I already feel like the music world has very much left me behind, so I am reluctant to moan about the packaging of this box-set and really confirm my Gold Membership of the Miserable Old Codgers' Society, but the case is not at all fit for purpose. And trying to make sense of the track listings on the inside was almost impossible. Grey writing on a white background really does turn a man's thoughts towards making an urgent appointment at his local opticians - which means this product can actually make me feel old on multiple levels. What skill!

As a five disc collection, incorporating everything from 'The House Of The Rising Sun' to '(I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You', this is a really fine purchase and one I would thoroughly recommend. That Disc 6 seems to have it in for me in a big way I would like to put down to the fact that music these days just isn't what it used to be. Sadly however, I fear it has more to do with the likelihood that I am not the sort of audience that the people behind this compilation had in mind. To get the most out of this product, I think you really need to be approaching it from the point of view of a modern music fan. That way, you can explore the history of pop music, and the evolution of 'Top Of The Pops' itself, in a logical and highly entertaining way.

Which just makes me feel even MORE old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember when??, 9 Jun 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
125 tracks on 6 CDs and at wel under a tenner makes this a really good bargain but there is more to this collection than the numbers.
Each and every one a top 20 hit and a fair sprinklings of number2s, 3s, and 4s.

Someone has actually made a really good selection of the tracks and more importantly put them on the CDs where they will really fit in with the rest of the tracks.

Take CD4 all of the tracks selected are from the smae era and are really memorable they really 'fit' well. This is very much like the 'friends reunited' 'old school disco' collections where a set of songs popular in one era are released.
In essense you are getting 6 such eras on one collection
This attention to detail is refreshing when you compare the track placement with other collections.

True the Cover is naff and, from what I hear from other reviewers, the case is not strong and is soon broken so corners have been cut to get the price right down but this is more than made up for the really decent selection of tracks.

There really isn't a bad track on here and you can't really say fairer than that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
A good selection of tracks organised as Disc 1 1960s, Disc 2, 70s, Disc 3 80s, Disc 4 more 80s, Disc 5 90s, Disc 6 2000s. Lots of good tracks from all these decades. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Hits - Top of the Pops, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
A comprehensive collection of tracks from the 60's / 70's / 80's containing many of the signature tunes of those era's.A great buy.Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Of The Pops - 125 Original Hits, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
Starting on January 1st 1964, Top Of The Pops (TOTP), was THE pop programme to be on. Bands used to listen to the charts on Tuesday, and if they had gone up in the charts (or sometimes stayed the same), managers didn't stray too far away from their phones in case they got the call to appear on Thursday's show (which was recorded on Wednesdays).

Read interviews with pop stars and many of them will say that it was their ambition to appear on the show, and once you had appeared - you had `made it'.

TOTP could break you as well as make you, a poor performance could see sales drop off, but a good one could see you up at the top.

Across these 6 CD's there are 125 examples of what we used to listen to. The pick of the biggest hits that were performed on the show' from The Hollies (who featured on the first show in 1964) to Lily Allen in 2006.

Over forty years of musical history with each decade having a disc of it's own.

All we needed to make this collection complete was Pan's People!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, varied tracks., 5 Dec 2011
D. P. Jackson "Eclectic music listener, avid ... (Saffron Walden, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
Excellent collection of tracks from 6 decades of Top Of The Pops. Some classics, some average, but all worth a listen. Definitely a good 'time capsule' of hits, and a good CD for listening to in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
So many song I know, not filled up with those so called hit you don't remember, excellent album, six cd's what more can you ask for, really good value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Original Hits - Top Of The Pops, 18 Nov 2013
M. B. Hollands (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
Plenty of excellent tracks that brought back many lovely memories. It was well worth buying and is a real pleasure to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct 2014
10 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars More super music from BBC, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Original Hits - Top Of The Pops (Audio CD)
There is a lot of good music on this one and its great that it is from the early like Cliff Richard to 90's music.

Original Hits - Top Of The Pops
Original Hits - Top Of The Pops by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2010)