Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

VINE VOICEon 20 August 2010
When I first heard this music sampled for me I was amazed to discover that it was contemporary as its form and mode is of the classic tradition of choral music.

On first hearing the purity of the sound is such that it may well take your ears a little while, after recovering from being caressed in a whole new way, to register that the sounds are actual human voices; we have become so used to electronically produced sounds in recent years.

Whitacre's texts are many and various and include the poems of e.e.cummings and Octavio Paz set for, mostly, unaccompanied voices that shift and change and drift and rise and fall until a dreamlike almost hypnotic state is induced in the listener.

This is the music of dreams;the music of calm and contentment. It will remain with you long after the last note has dwindled away into a long echoing space
on 22 April 2011
Just the most beautiful choral music for the 21st century. Luscious harmonies moving subtley through astonishing crunchies to sheer chords of clear tones.
The choir itself sings exquisitely and achieves the perfect balance between superb technique and emotional depth.
on 5 August 2011
What seemed like a lovely choice of CD turned out to be a disaster!! Having listened to a sample of every track on the website, I eagerly ordered three copies, for myself and two family members. When I received them, the CD cover was the same but the tracks on the cd's were all instrumentals, and none of them were remotely like the choral variety I was expecting. Very confusing! The CD's themselves were all printed correctly too which added to the confusion. On the returns form there was no accurate 'reason' for me to select to explain why I was returning them, so I don't as yet know whether I qualify for a refund, despite the music being completely wrong. Never had this problem with Amazon before.Whitacre: Choral Music (Her Sacred Spirit Soars/ A Boy And A Girl/ Water Night)
on 12 September 2015
I had never heard of this gentleman until Lux aurumque was played with great sensitivity by a Royal Marines Band at an open-air concert recently. This CD should be on prescription- it is that good at relaxing the mind!
on 15 January 2012
Very disappointed as the music on the CD was not what we bought - the Whitacre: Choral Music (Her Sacred Spirit Soars/ A Boy And A Girl/ Water Night). This music was entirely instrumental.
This was a Christmas gift and I am unable to re-purchase without guarantee of the same thing happening.
on 15 November 2011
Unfortunately, the CD that was in the box, although displaying the correct label, was not Whitacre's Choral music. It wasn't choral music at all...it was instrumental! I sent it back and hesitate to order another in case ALL the CD's from this company are wrong! I did receive a very prompt refund from Amazon. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem.
on 7 June 2013
I have another recording by this excellent choir called The Mystery of Christmas and so when I saw they'd recorded a selcetion of Eric Whitacre's beautiful pieces I had to have it and it's more than lived up to my expectations. It is a stunning piece of work.
on 12 August 2011
I heard one piece on the radio and liked it enormously and I like choral music anyway so, took a punt and have enjoyed all the works very much.
on 27 February 2011
An exercise in Choral singing by very accomplished singers.....but despite that this was not appealing to me.It was perhaps too clever to have appeal to all but a
distinguished group of admirers !
on 15 February 2011
The music on the copy I recieved from Amazon of "Eric Whitacre: Choral Music" is beautiful and it is American, but it is not Eric Whitacre! On telephoning Naxos Customer Services I was told that some discs had gone our with the wrong information on the discs and covers. Also, that they had recieved "a lot of calls about it". When I enquired what recording I had been sent I was put onto "someone who may be able to help you". Said person neither knew nor appeared to care. She said the last person to ring thought it was Schubert. No, she couldn't do anything: I would have to get onto Amazon. By scouring the Naxos uk website I found Aaron Copland & Robert Aldrige Clarinet Concertos on Naxos's American Classics 8.559667, just one digit different from the Whitacre which is 8.559677. Everything matched; timings, instrumentation and descriptions. So, mystery solved but no thanks to Naxos. Yes, I know their discs are often brilliant value for money and Naxos would be greatly missed if it ever ceased to provide the recordings it does, but their "Customer Service" leaves something to desire. But Aldridge and Copland? Very little left to desire there. Aldrige is new to me and I am very glad to have found his music. His Concerto pairs well with the Copland and his short Samba makes a fittingly upbeat finishing touch.