5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive
I took a punt on these ear phones after reading the great reviews here.

Well initially I thought, these sound good but I'm not sure if they are better than my previous Creative earphones (High end Sennheisers rebranded).

But then...

Coldplay's X&Y album came on, an album I must have played so much I don't even notice it normally...
Published on 15 April 2011 by S. Nicol

3.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked gem...NOT [See updated review]
UPDATED 21.10.2011

Published on 31 Dec. 2010 by Think

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, 15 April 2011
S. Nicol "motorhead stu" (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SoundMAGIC MP21 Earphones with Mic for iPhone - Black (Electronics)
I took a punt on these ear phones after reading the great reviews here.

But then...

These headphones have the finest sound staging, controlled punchy bass and delicate tones that I have ever heard outside of a top end Hifi system. Little intricate detail in the music is unveiled such as fingers striking the strings of the guitar, and the movement of drumsticks across the skins of the drums. My initial doubts were unfounded, give these little beauties a chance to shine with the right high bit rate dynamic song and you'll be smiling like me and writing your own review!

In-addition an excellent quality microphone positioned close to your mouth with a button that on my Htc Desire pauses playback (short press) or skips to the next track (long press)

Oh and build quality looks excellent

At this price these earphones are a bargain!

Stuart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic set of earbuds!, 14 Mar. 2011
Fraser Gaffney (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been a Sennheiser buyer for many, many years however when both my Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones and my Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones failed leaving me with only my very large HD-477's I decided to move away from the brand and try out other offerings. I replaced the PMX-70's with a cheap pair of Sony MDR-W08L Headphones to be used in the gym and when out running with my I-pod Nano. They're okay (reflected in the price) but nothing really spectacular to write home about.

Owning an I-phone 4 I thought I'd replace the CX-300's with an in-line mic set and after stumbling across this pair of SoundMAGIC on Amazon with 4 reviewers all giving top marks I thought I'd conduct my own research on various audio forums before taking the plunge myself. Everything I read about the earbuds was very positive so I decided to buy them (although at the time they were unavailable on Amazon).

I have to say these buds are absolutely fantastic straight out the box. I heard about 'burn-in' and that some people think it's a myth whilst others swear by it so despite mixed views on the subject I decided to burn the SoundMAGIC's in myself for just over 40 hours using a couple of web programs/pages. Now I can't say if there's much difference after the burn-in process as it's only now I'm using the buds properly (with my I-phone) but I am seriously impressed with what they can do.

All my music is re-encoded to 128kbps AAC files in I-tunes before being synced to the phone and the reproduction produced by these buds is simply awesome. A lovely natural soundstage is produced with great bass and clarity and they blow the socks off any of the Sennheiser's I've previously owned whilst the new Sony's are nowhere near the quality of the SoundMAGIC's. Needless to say I can see the SoundMAGIC's being the only buds I ever use, whether it be in the gym or on the bus/train.

The various rubber tips guarantee a very snug and comfortable fit in the ear and ALL background noise is cancelled out. The in-line mic works very well and lets you pause/play, skip forward/back, fast forward/back and access voice control but NOT any volume controls which isn't that big a deal.

Accessories include a soft leather pouch, shirt clip, PC adapter (to use the buds & mic with Skype) and various sized rubber tips. One reviewer mentioned ear hooks however mine didn't include them and I'm not sure if they've omitted this accessory now or it was an error in the review?

All in all these buds are fantastic and tick all the boxes for me. The price bracket they fall into means if they get lost or damaged it's not gonna break the bank and the sound they produce equals earbuds 2 or 3 times the price. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with these headphones and if you don't need the in-line mic, take a look at the PL-21's which are exactly the same for a couple of £'s less.

A huge thumbs up for the SoundMAGIC MP21's!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked gem...NOT [See updated review], 31 Dec. 2010
UPDATED 21.10.2011

I've scored this down by 3 stars. I should have done that 4 months ago when the left earphone stopped working and there was a tiny rip in the plastic casing of the wire, with a bit of copper wiring showing. Everything else was great, but as others have also stated, the build quality just isn't good enough to last the wear and tear from daily life. A shame.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I recently purchased an iPhone and was looking for a replacement for the Apple earphones/mic that kept falling out of my ears. While browsing the amazon store, I brushed past these earphones, as I'd never heard of them and assumed they were a rip-off/clone or something, and there weren't many reviews to support it.

But after doing some online research and audio forum visits and hearing from audio-enthusiasts, I came to dicscover how much I'd underestimated these earphones.

On purchase, I was actually quite blown away by the sound quality. Now that may be because I've never dished out £25 for earphones before, but nevertheless, the quality is very good. I have never found myself noticing sounds and notes so accurately, and am not sure I can return to cheaper earphones after this (read Apple earphones). I would test it by putting the volume up very high and comparing the much reduced distortion to the the tinny distortion of my previous earphones.

The mic is also very good. It does appear to be better than my iphone ones as I can hear background noise (in my earphones) of cars driving by me for example when I'm talking into the phone. There's one button to rewind.pause, play, forward, skip, etc. your tracks as well as receive calls. But I have not found any volume controls, which is a downside compared to Apples' default earphones. Also, there is no intruction manual which doesn't help, even though I usually hate manuals.

And of course you get a nice leathery pouch with a velcro flap.

Only 2 downers then are: lack of volume controls (or I didn't find them), and no manual.

I guess I will wait a bit more and see how it fares after a couple of months (IA) to see if there are any changes. If so, I'll try and provide an update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 13 Feb. 2011
Miss Scholefield (UK) - See all my reviews
These headphones are amazing! I would recomend them to anyone who cant find headphones that will stay in there ears.
They include different rubber fittings small, medium and large, all in different materials.
There easy to clean and are suprisingly comfortable, so much so I can keep them in for hours without having to take them out!
There is also a handy clip which you can fassen to a pocket or part of your shirt so if you tug on them they wont fall out.

I personally dont usually pick headphones in this price range but they are definatly worth every penny.

I would also like to take this opertunity to thank Nikita Perezilo from PureTone for her cooperation when I (out of my own personal error) ordered two of this product. She was very understanding, helpful and promt in her response which has definatly giving me trust in ordering more products from this company.

I would definatly recomend this product and this company to anyone who shows an interest.

Thank you PureTone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value. Good (but not perfect) earbuds., 13 Feb. 2012
J. Worth - See all my reviews
I keep breaking iPhone headphones (most recently a Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset) so I was looking for a durable, good value set of in-ear headphones with iPhone mic. The SoundMAGIC MP21 headphones fit the bill very well. Here is a quick breakdown of the pros and cons:

PROS
- Very good, balanced sound quality, especially for middle and upper range
- Durable, angled 3.5m plug
- 4 sizes of eartips (will fit anyone's ears well)
- Mic and next track button on the cable
- Adaptor included for use in airliners

CONS
- Symmetrical cable length (I prefer one cable longer, to go behind the head)
- No volume control on the cable

3.0 out of 5 stars Best in the price range!, 6 May 2012
Got these as a replacement to high end Shure in ear monitors that i lost and they have been a pleasant surprise!
The sound of these lil things is impressive the low end is skull crushing, the mids are not the very best but are heard and the treble is decent enough.
Sound wise i have no problems with them.

Noise Isolation could be better. Coming from high end noise isolation earphones this is where i noticed the difference the most.
I have to put my music up to drown the noise sipping through while the shure's simply kept the noise out...i never had to go past 60% volume with the Shure's but with these i have to juice them nearly 90%!

This brings me to my next point...The Fit. If these earphones fit well then the noise isolation would be working but i have not yet found the perfect fit with these.
So you might find yourself constantly adjusting them which is kinda annoying especially if you have a woolly had or scarf.

The other down-point which might be isolated to my set is the microphone.
My mic is one moody mic. it works when it wants and even then it keep cutting out so the hands free part of the earphones just doesn't work for me. So really cant review this part of the earphones.

To summarise even with its faults these lil earphone are easily one of the best sound wise in the price range.
I cant compare them to £250 Shure Earphones its just not fair but i was very pleasantly surprised when i heard what they can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll have to listen everything again., 18 April 2011
The biggest complaint I have about these buds is that no one told me these exist. Seriously, manufacturers - what's up with that? I mean how could you a) sell lousy quality buds with your iPhones and whatnot, and b) not advertise these inexpensive, yet excellent quality buds enough? By doing this you basically have forced me to listen unbelievably low quality buds for 2 years.

No, no, no. Fix this. If you know these will make such a huge difference, say so, thank you. A simple campaign of "Did you know" would probably do miracles. I don't think people understand just how enormous difference a set of good earbuds can make.

Difference between these and, say, original Apple buds is really just too much to describe. While the Apple's sound like a distant music between everything around you, the MP21s sound like you're confined in a very small space with soft walls, and there's nothing but the sweet, non-intrusive, friendly sound that excludes everything else around you. It's like you're watching everything happening in your own comfort. You're there, yet you're not.

Not to mention the depth & clarity of sound. Don't even go there. Just forget it. No one should be fooled into thinking the sound quality between original buds and these is something you can compare. You can't. It's that big a difference. I'll just say, after you get these, you'll want to listen again everything you've ever listened.

Also worth mentioning is that I also use these instead of earplugs when driving a motorcycle. Works great, and music sounds pretty good at 60 mph, which was a pleasant surprise. The fit is so good you won't even know they're in your ears when putting the helmet on (need to be careful when taking it off, though).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pair of earphones, 1 Sept. 2011
Mr. C. Binny - See all my reviews
This is a nice set of earphones, with a minor note of caution.

They seem solidly built, so I expect them to last for quite a while. The sound reproduction is good too; not the heaviest bass I've heard, but still good enough for all but the most ear-bleeding of tracks. As a pay-off for this, little details in mid- to high-range pitches seem clearer than I'm used to from previous earphones.

They came with four sizes of the normal sillicone in-ear pieces. These are unusually tight when fitting onto the earphones, so hopefully it'll be harder than usual for them to come off and get lost in pockets. This brings me to my only, very mild, criticism. Other reviewers mentioned receiving earplug-like "memory foam" inserts as well as the sillicone ones; I did _not_ get these. This was very disappointing -- I really prefer those to the sillicone ones -- but in fairness to SM and Amazon, they're not actually mentioned anywhere in the product description.

The button on the microphone works to play/pause the music on my Android phone or answer/end calls(HTC Legend, running the stock firmware). Weirdly, double-pressing the button calls the last person that I spoke to. Not what I expected to happen, but this is presumably a quirk of Android phones and not the fault of the earphones.

So: Solidly built, comfortable, good sound (adequate bass, very nice higher tones), Play/Pause button works with Android, but don't count on getting "memory foam" tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 13 April 2011
Jas Jhooty (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these ear buds after reading several handy reviews. They are well made with a handy clip to keep them in position. The microphone works extremely well. However I couldn't get a snug fit with the supplied silicon ear tips so the bass response wasn't loud enough for my liking. I burned them in for two weeks and the bass did improve but not enough, therefore I reluctantly returned them and bought the Scosche IDR655m Premium Increased Dynamic Range Noise Isolation Headphones with tapLINE II Remote Control and Microphone for iPod and iPhone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of buds, 13 May 2011
Have had the headphones for a while and the a great. I lost both my apple standard headphone and my senheiser buds and thought I would replace them with a decent set , with mic built in (within the budget of course)
I must say the sound is great, about the best sound I have experienced in headphones but I am not a hifi geek so that wasn't too hard to achieve.
The mic works very well for calls and not having volume control on the cord of the headphones is a little odd , but I don't really miss this function that much.
As other reviewers have said, I was concerned about the brand to Start with , but if you google these you will find they are well respected. And when you get them the build quality and sound quality will impress.
The buds them selves are a little softer than others I have used , so I found I had to fiddle a little to get a perfect seal between the buds and my ears, but once you have them confortably in, the base is very decent.
All in all , very impressed. Highly recommended.

SoundMAGIC MP21 Earphones with Mic for iPhone - Black