5.0 out of 5 stars What does your soul look like?
Published on 3 Nov 2011 by S. Frampton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Tracks but we've been given this before!
For those of you who don't already have Endtroducing, stop now, click off this page and buy that now.
Published on 23 Jan 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars What does your soul look like?, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
I was moving house recently and rather than cart all my old un-listened CDs to the new place, I decided to sell them all. While going through the collection I stumbled across this album. The cover alone took me back 10 years ago to a simpler time in my life, so I chucked it in the laptop and stuck it on the ipod. That was two weeks ago and it's pretty much been on constant "rotation" since. Testament to the brilliance of this album. For me, it's his best piece of work, and "what does your soul look like (part 2)" is reason enough alone to buy it. I'm not selling my copy though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfection in music, 23 Jan 2001
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
A short time ago, one of my housemates and myself were discussing Moby as an artist that produced music that let you totally relax. A week or so later, he was recommended 'Entroducing' as running on the same lines as Moby. Entroducing was wonderful, full of music that was original with every playing. Last week, I heard the contents of 'Pre-emptive Strike', which has unfortunately been deleted by Mo Wax. For anyone lucky enough to get a copy, I would highly recommend it as a disc that even makes Entroducing seem superfluous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of DJ Shadow's finest moments, 26 Oct 2008
P. Gummerson (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
OK, yes, a few of these songs have been readily available on other releases. But that aside, I would go as far as to say that Preemptive Strike contains some of Shadow's greatest moments.

As epic as Entroducing is, this collection pushes the envelope even further. What Does Your Soul Look Like part 2 is nothing short of vast in scale with its dramatic strings, crashing drums and mournful vocals. In contrast, part 3 is delicate and minimal, a meandering flute and tinkling piano taking centre stage. Every defining characteristic of Entroducing (delicate ambience, long patient pauses, impeccable drum breaks, slow, smoothly paced song dynamics) is taken that bit further in these songs. Despite being a collection of separately composed tracks, the album flows surprisingly well, with Organ Donor and High Noon as the perfect closers.

Put simply, Preemptive Strike is an absolute must for any fan of Entroducing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Expanding, 3 Nov 2000
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
A collection of Shadow's pre-major label recordings, 'Pre-Emptive Strike' towers over 'Endtroducing...' in some respects. Having owned a copy on cassette for some time now, I have learned to appreciate Shadow's masterful sampling skills. No-one can quite match Shadow for his skill on the turntables (apart from perhaps Q-Bert).
In/Flux is my favourite track on this LP. It is beyond words, so I will not try to describe it. I think I will simply say buy this LP...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Tracks but we've been given this before!, 23 Jan 2002
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
For those of you who are still here I can tell you now this album is more shadow, which is a VERY good thing - however, I personally feel just a touch "fobbed off" by this release - you ownly really get 5 new tracks (Two parts of "What does your soul look like" are simply mirrored from Endtroducing) and the remix of Organ Donor is nothing too new and groundbreaking. However, there are three tracks on this album that are up there with his best - High Noon, an upbeat guitar driven track and What does your Soul look like parts 2 & 3 are nothing short of amazing...
Worth it for these three tracks alone but shurley this is an EP relase rather than a full album?

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply amust for any an of either the label or the artist, 4 Sep 2000
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
With some fantastic re-mixes from the "endroducing album" and new material as well, all this album may look to ofer nothing different it shows a greater level of thought and layering than "endtroducing". With five tracks making up a singular mini-opus it demonstrates the maturity and sheer genius of Dj Shadow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
Bought this for my partner who has many CD's by this artist. He was thrilled with the present. Service from Amazon was fab also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dj Shadows music was made for vinyl, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Preemptive Strike [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Really well priced on amazon for what you get. I highly recommend it, fantastic graphics. It's a fantastic vinyl and a real must for a fan. Exceptional music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Dj Shadow release., 13 Sep 2001
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
Though more of a subtle and moody album, and as such less commercial that Dj SHadow's first album proper, this compendium of vinyl releases is utterly indespensible to a fan. The songs meander and rely more on phrases evolving than on making the trip-hop tunes of 'Entroducing', but it's more emotional and, you suspect, more honest than that ever was. If you thought 'What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)' on 'Endroducing' was good, wait until you hear all of it. The only downer if the lack of the 'High Noon' b-side 'Devil's Advocate' and the other lost Dj Shadow gem 'Third Decade, Our Move', but these would probably throw the mood out anyway. All in all an excellent album from one of the greatest musical minds of the past ten years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reflective shadow, 1 Feb 2001
D. NIXON "nixey" (Tokyo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pre-Emptive Strike (Audio CD)
As you've probably already heard/read, 'Endtroducing...' is the place to start if you're new to Shadow but if you already own that LP and enjoy it (which, frankly, you most likely will do if you own it) then I highly recommend Pre-emptive Strike. If you could select four-and-a-half stars then I would but as it is I would judge this album as falling nearer the 4-star category. The upbeat, dominant breaks of High Noon and Organ Donor (think the original with much needed beats and scratching) aside, the tracks are generally less "commercial" (ie mass-appealing) than 'Endtroducing...'; they explore the depth of Shadow's more pensive side, reflective hip-hop through and through. Stand-out tracks for me are WDYSLL Part 2 and Organ Donor Extended Overhaul. Go buy!

Pre-Emptive Strike