on 10 June 2011
This has been an excellent purchase. For what it is, a low cost black and white printer and scanner, it is superb. I would like a colour printer, and a sheet feeder for the scanner, but I would expect that to cost more, of course.

Start up time, and speed of printing, are very good. The wireless works well.

So why did I knock off one star? For two reasons:

1) My wireless network has MAC address filtering, so to connect the printer I first needed to know its MAC address. There is no sticker on the printer, or in the manual, to say what that is. There is a function on the printer to print out the information using some button pushes, but that requires it to be connected to the network first. This made the "simple" set up complicated.

2) All the images of the printer are misleading as the footprint is increased by the fact that the sheet feeder is not integrated into the printer itself, but sticks out the front when paper is actually loaded. This was not a problem for me, but the images and information on the printer I felt did misrepresent it.

For me though, I am very pleased with this purchase.

[edit after reading other reviews]Mine came with a UK plug![/edit]
on 7 September 2011
This printer was everything I wanted, compact, wireless, no inkjet hassle and a scanner included. It's delivered all these now its been set up. However as per the other reviews you need a bit of patience to get this set up with a Mac. The wireless card struggles to identify your wireless hub particularly using the Mac installer. I eventually got it set up as follows, to BT Home Hub 2

- Ensure wireless router set up to broadcast SSID - This get you through the first error message of not being able to identify the router by manually input of the SSID
- Then install and set up wireless connection to router using Windows 7 laptop which I happened to have, using WPA2-Personal encryption and AES. Note you have to set up wireless before "Install now". This still took a few goes to get the WPA password identified. It took about 3 attempts to get past the next error message of "Invalid Security" and then suddenly connected. I got this to work using the USB lead and using DCHP not static addressing. I made the mistake of including the option of installing the SyncThru software (This is a piece of web based software for changing all the printer settings - its more complicated than the standard popup so don't bother)
- Then I went back to the Mac. First I uninstalled the previous attempt at software installation which had left an unusable printer panel in the header ribbon. Used the uninstall option in in the MacInstaller application provided by Samsung.
- Then ensured the Wireless was connected to the router - solid blue wireless light. Then I did a new install, and it installed first time of trying. You have to continually stop Software Update trying to load up the driver from the Apple Website. Keep clicking "not now".
- Lastly when its all installed, go to Print/Fax settings in system preferences and then add the printer which should appear as an option to select.

So far I've not dared to take my router back to non-broadcast. I'll get my printing done first !

If you've got the option of Windows and Mac, and do it in this order its probably less than an hour to get it all working.
on 17 January 2011
I am very pleased with this Printer. The quality of the prints, scans and copy's are excellent. It ability to print wirelessly is also great. I disagree with the other comment about the printer being poorly designed. It is very well designed and it does evrything it is designed to do. It is afterall a compact laser printer therefore you cant expect a hidden paper tray. As for the other comment about the power supply not fitting UK sockets - I didnt have this problem.
on 29 January 2011
I agree with the previous comment, and disagree with the earlier two. We have had it for home / home office use for several weeks and am delighted with the quality and print speed. Comes with a UK plug, as well as a Continental plug, so that's not an issue. It is very compact - as long as you allow a bit of extra space for the paper tray, that's also not a problem
on 28 January 2012
For years I have owned several inkjet multifunctions for home use. I mostly scan documents, occasionally print a letter and sometimes printed some photos. Which is what made me very frustrated with ink consumption; ink expired, ink cardridges reported empty even though I hardly printed anything; each time I wanted to print something my inkjets always had some reason why I could not print. My conclusion was: never an inkjet again.

Which is what made me look into laser multifunctions and the choice then easily fell on this printer, even though it was with some doubt. Doubt for two reasons; first to sacrifice printing color pictures (but these are cheaper anyways via web print services) and second because of all the problems to set WIFI up, especially with the mac.

Well, as soon as the printer got here, I've had one big positive experience. Setting up the WIFI is extremely easy and you really don't need a Windows based PC to do it.

What I did is the following. I connected the printer with a network cable to my router and switched it on. After a few minutes, I browsed from my computer into the router to find the IP address of the printer. Then I browsed in Safari to this IP address. This got me into the SyncThru web service of the printer. What I did not see straight away, but found after a while, is that when scrolling all the way to the right on top there is a "Login" link. Pressing that, and typing the username "admin" and the password "sec00000" (thanks Google) got me into Administrator mode of the printer. In the Settings menu I clicked "Network Settings" and this shows a treeview on the left hand side of the screen. Selecting "Wireless" here shows "Advanced Settings" with a "Custom" button. There you can easily find your router in the SSID combobox, select WPA2-Personal, TKIP+AES and then the WPA2 key of the WIFI network. And that's it! A few seconds later the printer was on the network and I could remove the network cable.

Then you can easily find it as a network printer on the Mac or on a Windows PC and you can install it. I had it up and running in no time without even taking the CD with the drivers out of the package, both on the Mac and in Windows 7 and Windows Vista the drivers come automatically from the net.

Now that I'm using it, I am really happy, scanning works over the network real fast, scan quality is good enough for me, and prints are as good as black and white laser prints get.

So my conclusion: forget all the reviews that it is a pain to set-up, and if you like the features of this printer, get it! And Amazon's price is awesome.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 January 2012
This was bought to replace an Epson inkjet after the print heads became blocked only 15 months after purchase. It's a problem common to all inkjets but doesn't afflict a laser printer. You also have to use the inkjet regularly or it becomes more prone to blockage and the cartridges go off. Lasers do much better when used infrequently and the toner cartridge has a much longer shelf life. When turning on the inkjet multifunction for the purpose of a scan the inkjet charges the printheads automatically which wastes ink...once again not a problem with a laser printer. Finally, I also wanted black and white copying due to the cost of colour cartridges for the inkjet which are used even when printing in black and white and whenever the printer is turned on.

So far so good with this printer. It was easy to set up, works well wirelessly, is very quick to print, producing good quality copies. It is taller than my inkjet but has a smaller footprint and it's easy enough to stow the paper when it's not in use. The paper feeds from the front so this must be kept in mind when considering your space requirements. Scans are perfectly adequate.

All in all very pleased with my purchase and would recommend to anyone who doesn't require colour printing and where use is infrequent increasing the chance of blockage to an inkjet. It's perfect for occasional use in a home environment for this reason but perfectly capable of satisfying the needs of a small office.
VINE VOICEon 25 February 2012
Order by Prime or next day and make sure you're there for arrival as it's a good sized box you don't want have to go and collect! Set up is easy - it's arrived with UK (and a Euro) plug and USB cable. CD was dodgy but Windows 7 can download the required drivers automatically. Take note of the quick set up card and make sure you get rid of all the tape and shake up the toner cartridge before use. Prints well if you use good quality multi use / laser paper. Black and white printer but it scans in colour which is a nice surprise. Didn't bother with WiFi set up as it's sat next to the PC anyway! For less than a £100 why would you bother with ink jets drying up and dying on you?
on 22 November 2011
Have just received this printer and spent the last five hours setting it up.

I have a BT home hub 3.0, Mac Book Air and fortunately a windows laptop. A previous reviewer had the home hub 2.0 and wrote the settings for that which helped and gave me hope.

Things you have to do to get it to work with Mac are

1. Install using the windows machine - this is really difficult. It kept failing after entering the password for the router. The default settings on the installer do not work. You have to click on advanced and select the correct network protocol which is WPA personal and Encryption of TKIP - AES.

2. After doing that the wireless set up for the pc laptop worked and I could disconnect it from the printer with the USB cable and print.

Then onto the Mac book Air.

This was another huge issue - it initially could see the printer under settings and then installed the driver from the Apple website but then when I tried to print - no connection to the printer.
In the end i went onto the router configuration and changed the channel configuration from automatic to channel 1 and added the printer manually in system preferences selecting IP printer putting the ip address which I knew about from the windows laptop in the Address field and selecting the driver as a Samsung 32000 series. That worked.

My recommendation is unless you are pretty technical with computers or know someone who is stay away until they sort this out.

The print quality is OK once you get there though.
on 4 November 2011
I was looking for a laser printer, scanner and copier in one, and this Samsung printer was one of few affordable options. (And I wanted it without the fax feature - it makes printers enormous, and who needs it in the age of scans and e-mails?)

First, I bought it from a third party seller and faced all the problems mentioned earlier by other reviewers and even worse - it was sent from Germany, with European cable and, painfully, non-wireless model. It took 1.5 months to return it, and by the time I managed to do it, Amazon started selling it themselves.

The second try was with Amazon. Delivered promptly, with the UK cable. It took about an hour to install it wireless, mainly because I did not do it correctly first. At one stage I needed to connect it by a network cable to the router - note that the cable is not included. You will need to be able to log in to your router, and to check for a couple of numbers on the router page in your browser and on the printer page, but I would not complain - the manual is quite good (please read it first). My wife would not do it though (please do not tell her :))

The printing and copying quality are very good. Wireless works perfectly - I connected the printer to three laptops without problem (Vista and Windows Starter - for netbooks). Have not tried the scanning feature yet. Note that it does not scan to pdf (tiff and something else only) which is a fly in this good jar of ointment.
on 5 October 2011
I wanted a printer that I could use occasionally for printing out things like boarding passes, tickets,documents and copying the crossword so that my wife doesn't hog it. This printer seems ideal. I found setup fairly straightforward. My router doesn't have the easy set-up button and I set up an adhoc connection which worked until I turned it off and I realised that I would have to set it up afresh each time that I used the printer. However it was only marginally more complicated to set it up via the router using my password and it now works perfectly.
Unlike some other reviews my printer arrived with both 2 & 3 pin plugs and a USB lead.
My only criticism would be that the paper feed seems rather flimsy and could break if roughly handled.
I felt a mono printer was fine for my needs, cheaper on refills and hopefully won't dry up like my inkjet between prints.
I would recommend this printer as value for money.
Samsung SCX-3205W Black Mono Laser Printer/Scanner/Copier (Wireless, All-In-One)