Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 10 November 2001
Midge Ure's first solo album, The Gift was first released in 1985. A real mix of Keyboard work and roaring guitars, The Gift shows Midge at his musical roots. Key tracks to look out for are his number one hit "If I Was" alongside other classics such as: "That Certain smile" and "Wastelands". Not so well known is the orchestral extraviganza "The Gift" a song I would dearly love to use as my epitaph! The only fault I can find with The Gift is that it doesn't last long enough! Although the gift may not be everyone's cup of tea it is an absolutely essential buy for anyone who likes 80's music!
on 13 January 2009
I still remember the moment I first heard 'If I Was' way back........one of my all time favourite songs and often played on a loop. Other gems on this album include 'That Certain Smile' and 'She Cried'. I much prefer Midge's version of 'Living in the past' to the original and there is Midge's version of 'Man who sold the world'. Bowie was good but Midge is absolutely brilliant!
All in all it's an excellent solo album....the start of a solo career that has given us some outstanding albums from Mr Ure.....hopefully with more to come!
The album opens with If I Was, an elegant love song which is followed by When The Winds Blows, a great rock ballad with a complex arrangement and soaring chorus, and Living In The Past, a mid tempo rock song with powerful synth sections and impressive guitars.

The tuneful That Certain Smile is a flowing pop song, whilst The Gift has an impressive instrumental intro with disembodied vocals and industrial sounds, then turning into a grand orchestral ballad like those of the great Scott Walker and ending with an industrial outro.

The evocative instrumental Antilles is followed by Wastelands, another great song with poetic lyrics and rousing vocals. Found sounds and atmospherics return on the instrumental Edo, whilst The Chieftain is another instrumental, an atmospheric piece with soaring synths and bubbling rhythms.

The graceful She Cried is a moving slice of synth-pop that sticks in the mind. This CD reissue has been enhanced by four extra tracks of which the cover of Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World is by far the most impressive.
on 7 September 2014
Great cassette! The 2nd one I buy from this seller! I love to buy 80's Music on cassette rather than CD because it's more Authentic.
The songs are Nice, good melody and tune. Nice lyrics. In the cassette, the lyrics are inside the sleeve which is very handy.
I love the artist, and very recommend this Music to you. A typical talented underrated artist of the 80's.
on 10 February 2016
Have rediscovered Midhe Ure. I'd forgotton how much I enjoy his music
on 14 January 2012
To make a long story short:

CD1 is not remastered in a way that makes it remarkably better than the orginal first CD release from the 80s. The bass a bit too squashy, the trebles increased but a bit too harsh and digital, in spite of that "trebles enhancement" a lot of details are not worked out in this "pudding". It seems that compression led to a quit hearable distortion. I do not see a big advantage in this remaster. At least my hopes to master the really bad first CD issue in a fine way were not fulfilled, unfortunately. Maybe the material was the only available and did avoid better results.
What it makes a bit unbelievable and not understandable is what happens on CD2. Here, where the booklet text says that the material was remastered to best possible result but may not be in today's standard sound quality, we hear.........the complete opposite. Very well balanced between natural trebles and bass, not distorted at all and clear and crispy in the details. Although they had various sources (studio and live). And "That certain smile (Extended)" is one of three tracks NOT remastered on CD2 and nevertheless OK in sound and quality. And better than CD1!

Ergo: hard to understand.

It is a real pity.

The Bonus material on CD2 is absolutely worth to buy this 2CD set anyway. No fillers, good versions and songs. Really.
Finally, I must admit that I put the first CD as a backup in my garage cause in the end CD1 contains anyhow the better mastering.
on 10 March 2011
It`s much better sound quality from this digatal remastring from 2010!

The first orginal CD it`s not good, and I have waiting a long time for this!

This is also the best album from M. Ure solo carriere!
on 22 February 2014
A great album but not worth around £30.

Download from Itunes if you really want it. Its a good album, but maybe has more instrumentals than you would want.
on 3 December 2011
recieved in excellent condition,brilliant reminder of midge ure at his best and an added bonus of extended and remixed versions of his greatest songs
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 March 2014
Fondly remembered, and still sounds great today. The remastering has helped, and you get a lot of bonus tracks that were not on the original.

Turn up the volume, and enjoy!