Format: Audio CD|Change

Come Taste The Band; the tenth Deep Purple studio album (and sole release from the short-lived MK4 line up) is truly underrated and misunderstood, although it thankfully seems to have seen something of a critical reappraisal nowadays, thanks in part to this amazing 35th anniversary edition, in addition to growing appreciation for the late guitarist Tommy Bolin.

Right from the off, Come Taste The Band is big, loud and impressive. Opener 'Commin' Home' bursts out of the speakers with pure rock fury, adding back into the band's sound some of the harder and faster rock edge that had been absent from their previous album Stormbringer (which at times can seem like its just 50% Soul/Funk and 50% Quiet Songs/Ballads.)

Come Taste The Band definitely has power and force, but it also has variety. The funk/soul influences that the MK3 band had started using are there in tracks, but there are also more rock orientated numbers, and a few musically exciting pieces like 'The Drifter,' which stray into altogether different territory. 'Owed To G' even has a little of the classical vibe which the band used to play with quite a bit.

One of the standout moments on the album is 'Gettin' Tighter,' which has an absolutely gigantic chorus, which is so energetic and filled with attitude that it puts a huge grin on my face every time I listen to it. It also contains a brake-down of solid funk in the middle, which some fans may object to, but that brake-down is in a very rocking song and this is part of the success of this album, a fusion of the new and the old styles in a dramatic and joyous fashion.

Though for the longest time (until '93), Come Taste The Band was the only Deep Purple album without Ritchie Blackmore on guitar, you really should not let that put you off, in Tommy Bolin the band found a perfect musical fit. Blackmore's absence may cause you some concern, however remember that Paice and Lord are still there, the album still has that trademark Purple sound in the undercurrent behind all the funk and soul. Paice's unique drum fill style is still there, and Lord's amazing keys abilities are present and correct.

If you liked Burn and especially if you liked Stormbringer, then Come Taste The Band is a must listen experience... the effective Coverdale/Hughes partnership is as great as it has ever been, and the general songwriting is absolutely top of the line. I really recommend this album... just don't buy it if you are expecting it to sound like Smoke On The Water, understand what it is first, then jump right in.

** If you get the 35th Anniversary edition, there are 3 bonus tracks (a single edit, a b-side and a jam) a very detailed set of linear notes, and a second disc containing an impressive remixing job, which unearths some new music within the songs and changes the fade outs, track order and emphasis of the mix. **
on 26 October 2010
I've always liked this album, unlike many Purple fans who simply couldn't accept Purple without Blackmore. Granted, is IS very different to Blackmore era Purple- but then, how could it not be! For many years we were told that the original multi-tracks for this album were "lost" so I never thought I'd be writing this review, never mind salivating over a "remix" of the original multi-tracks by one of the rock world's top producers.

As good as the disc 1 re-master is, it is the remix on disc 2 which is the revelation here. Kevin Shirley has beefed up the sound and added all manner of little tweaks all over the place, including letting tracks which previously faded out run to their conclusion. The most incredible thing about this is that you would never believe this was recorded 35 years ago. The sound on the remix (and indeed the remaster) is simply immense.

History tells us that this line up fell flat on its face when they hit the road, but listening to this album now, it's easy to see why they decided to at least try to continue with Purple post-Blackmore. The remix shows this album in its true colours and (to these ears) it is at least as good as any recorded by Purple during the 70's.
on 25 October 2010
Finally... One of the best Deep Purple albums (others might not agree on that) gets a rework. The new versions sound different with Tommy Bolin's guitar getting a more prominent place in the mix. The single / edited version of "You keep on moving" does not really add anything but the remix is worth the money. If you're used to listen to the original version in the original running order, the new version is disorienting. There are tracks "missing", and where I normally sit quiet, let go a breath and get a drink after "You keep on moving" slowly died away, the music now continues. The 2 bonus tracks on the second CD are not the highlights of the album but hearing the album in a crisp new version was worth the wait. Too bad we did not get more bonus material but maybe there simple was no more.
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2010
Disc 1 - the remaster sounds nice.
It has a bit more bass than my regular CD - perhaps too much on a couple of tracks.
But then again, the original U.S. vinyl (with Martin Birch's sig in the deadwax) is extremely bass heavy, so it sounds like the remaster is true to Birch's original intent for whatever that may be worth.
Anyway, after a while I got used to it and it the disc sounds alright.
It may be an improvement over my regular CD but I don't know how much better I think this is ...
I was blown away when I heard the remaster of "Stormbringer" for the first time as that one was certainly an improvement over the regular release but I don't know about "Come Taste The band".
Still, it is not bad and it was good to hear the album again as I've always loved it.

Since my impression of the remaster was 'quite nice' and 'it makes me tap me feet' I had no expectations for disc 2 with the remixes made by a Kevin Neverheardofhim.
Another thing is that I am generally not a fan of new remixes of old tracks.
I prefer the original mixes - perhaps I'm too conservative / too old fashion / too boring ... well, just TOO OLD!
With that in mind I loaded disc 2 in my CD player, forgetting to fasten my seat belt.

The very first drum beat knocked me over and I wasn't able to get up untill the disc was over.
The new remixes reveals how EXCITING the tracks are and that the band is ON FIRE!!!
On the songs that plays beyond their original faded running times the band sounds as if they never intend to stop.
They just go on and on and on in excitement.
And Bolin himself is as exciting as anything they ever did with Blackmore (No, you Blackmore fans don't have to send me hate mail. I'm just trying to say that for the first time it is revealed HOW good Bolin was within Deep Purple as his playing on the live recordings from the following tour leaves something to be desired as things had run off the track at that time. For the first time it is now obvious that during the recording of the album things were still on track ...)
The bonus tracks are nice and especially the Bolin/Paice jam is very exciting: you hear a quality guitarist following a quality drummer (or maybe the other way around).
That bonus track alone is a 'must' for Bolin fans.

My verdict is: The remaster disc is nice and the remix disc is INCREDIBLE.

My advise is: Don't forget to fasten your seat belt!
on 28 October 2010
I have read the other reviews, and I have to admit that I feel very different about the remastering and the remixes.
CTTB is one of Deep Purple's finest moment, less hard rock oriented than Burn, but sharper and stronger than Stormbringer.

I have little to say about the remastered version, other than the fact that the volume is quite low for a new release (a remastered version of an old album in this case, but still a new release). I had put the album in my 5 discs player, and right after came my daughter's Hannah Montana cd, and the difference in volume and dynamic was a world of difference! Yes, Hannah was MUCH louder and CLEARER than CCTB!Shame.

It was my main concern, as I thought that Kevin Shirley did a pretty crappy job with the sound on both the new Iron Maiden album and the Black Country Communion (lots of compression, lack of brightness and medium,...). I think that here again, there's a lack of dynamic.

So, unfortunatly for me the remastered sounds a bit flat.

Now, for the Remixes, I have to admit that Shirley did the usual job of keeping the extra vocals or solos tracks and let the songs run till the end, which is nice as die-hard fans (like me) crave for every extra note.
This said only a couple of songs really have extra music (Comin' Home, Gettin Tighter).

I think the general sound of the remixes doesn't do favour to the sound of the album, and especially to Ian Paice. His playing and sound on this album are very sharp and clear, but Shirley added effects that makes him sound heavier and a bit messier...Too bad.

Nevertheless, the remixes are highly interesting and the bonus tracks are a delight!

So, I guess, all around I am a bit dissapointed, especially by the remastering, but still CTTB remains a masterpiece, very ahead of its time and still fresh sounding.

The remaining question will be: why changing the running order of the songs (well, two songs)on the remixes?
You keep on moving, often seen as the swansong of dP in the 70's, is now in the middle of the album...Doesn't make a lot of sense!

Having been listening to this album since I was 6 years old (34 years ago!)makes it hard for me avoid comparaison with the original sound, but I'm sure it is the case with most people who will buy this edition.

Anyway, don't miss it!
on 18 July 2015
If you are a true Purple fan you don't buy this record do you? - it's all funk, not enough rock. Well that's what I always thought. Nearly forty years later I heard one track , the beautiful 'You Keep on Moving' and decided to buy it. Is it too 'funky'? Well there is a bit - but I mean a 'bit'. I'm not a fan of funk but for me this is a 'rock' album and a bloody good one. Shows that sometimes you should make your own mind up - which I suppose is a bit rich as I'm writing this review trying to convince you to buy it!.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 October 2010
When you go out and buy this, don't make the mistake of jumping to the remixed album first. Put the remastered version on and have a good listen to that. Boy it sounds good. It just jumps out of the speakers and you ask 'Why did so many people slag this off in the first place?' This is classic rock nicely funked up. Purple had been heading in this direction on the last two albums but with the addition of Tommy Bolin he just took it a whole other step. It was Bolins addition to the lineup that put so many people off, he was American (In a British band for crying out loud) and he wasn't Ritchie Blackmore. It's their loss though, Bolin is a very worthy successor to Blackmore and the band needed this change. He livens things up greatly after the relative disappointment of Stormbringer. Blackmore was clearly unhappy with the direction the band was going, so let him go and bring in someone more suited this style of music. Bolin was the right man at the right time. The standout tracks are the opener Coming Home and You keep On Moving, but be assured there is no filler on this album

So that brings us to the remix of the album. After having heard the remaster I thought how much better can this be? BLOODY HELL!!! If the remaster jumped out of the speakers this leaps out, sits next to you, puts its arm around you and caresses your senses. Yes it's that good. If you thought the remaster livened up the album this positively breathes new life into it. Who would have thought twiddling a few knobs could make such a difference, but it does. You can feel every string bend on Bolins guitar playing, Coverdale sounds as if he standing in front of you and the bass and drums just kick in more. Add to that, that many of the songs are allowed to carry on to their end instead of a fade out, this is a superb example of how to remix an album. You retain the whole essence of the album but still breathes new life into it. The only negative is that you will nearly always go for this version of the album instead of the remaster.

This carries on the excellent Purple remasters series. They have all been given a new lease of life by the remastering, a few previously unused tracks and some very good and interesting remixing (But why couldn't Kevin Shirley have done them all, this is the best of the lot). And as usual the booklet has an excellent and informative essay about the making of the album and eventual disintegration of the band. I wish, The Stones, Dylan etc would take note. The only other reissues that have equally informative booklets are those from The Band.

So, if you are one of those Purple fans that wouldn't touch this because of Blackmores absence now is the time to re-visit it. If on the other hand you are classic rock fan that has yet to dip your toe into MkIV Purple because of its undeserved reputation now's the time, you will not be disappointed.
on 15 February 2011
This is probably the one of the most criminally under-rated albums ever released. If it had been by almost any other band it would have been a monster hit. Unfortunately it was lost under what looked like it was going to be the final collapse of Deep Purple. (How wrong we all were!)
If more people had been prepared to accept that Purple had a future without the mighty Blackmore. If the various members of the band had been able to resist the insidious lure of the seamier side of rock music. If If If....
But forget the ifs and just listen to the music. Like its its two predecessors it's a rock album with a funk edge. In fact it's probably fair to say the Tommy Bolin handles the blend of funk and rock better than Ritchie did.
So if your a Purple fan whose ignored this album or just a fan of rock then do yourself a favour and listen to this album it really is very good.
Just one last point, in spite of everything it's still a Purple album so do your neighbours and your-self a favour and play it LOUD!
This album from the short lived Mk 4 line up of Deep Purple, with Tommy Bolin replacing Ritchie Blackmore on lead guitar, marked the final transformation of the band away from their hard rock hey-day to a lusher, softer, less impactful sound. It was also to be the last Purple album for 9 years, following Bolin's untimely death and the dissolution of the band.

With Burn and Stormbringer, both fine albums, the group had successfully managed to merge their hard rock sound with a soul/funk style that served them well (whatever Blackmore seemed to think), and allowed them to create music with punch and maturity. Freed from Blackmore's constraint the group were free to abandon the hard rock all together and move off into the realms of soul/funk/jazz fusion with a grounding in blues. It's OK, but for me doesn't do much as I am a huge fan of the heavier sound of previous albums. It's a well made album, and fans of this style of music will love it, but for me it's just not to my taste.

This 35th anniversary edition is OK, with some nice and clear remastering of the original album on disc 1. The second disc contains a series of remixes of the original album, which I have to say add nothing new for me, and I tend not to listen to these at all. There are two previously unissued tracks from the period, and I feel the second disc could usefully have had more extras and less remixes.

So only three stars I am afraid.
on 22 March 2016
Although not in the league of "In Rock," "Machine Head,"Burn" even "Come Taste The Band" is far from the disaster that it has always been slagged off to be - a more polished/soulful/jazzier/funkier Deep Purple maybe - there is still plenty to like on this album for the unbiased music fan; from the opening bars of "Comin' Home," to the closing bars of "You Keep On Moving," and with the Remastered Sound - it hits you right between the eyes, and you notice this more with the remixed version of the album.

Not being one of the biggest fans of remixed classic tracks I am glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised that a 200% job has been done on this album making it sound much better than the original release, and fully worth spending the extra cash on.