5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value; Stunning Sound Quality
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by Richard Preston

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY
Sorry for the title, but this is a really important to know the following.

The headphones are great, but the issue is they have internal filters that need replacing every 3-12 months (depending on how waxxie your ear is).

Published 6 months ago by Mr. J. A. S. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value; Stunning Sound Quality, 27 Sep 2011
Richard Preston (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phonak Audéo Perfect Bass Earphones 012 Colour Black (Electronics)
Although at £80 these could not be described as cheap, they are staggering value for money when compared with other high-end in-ear monitors; I auditioned these along with some Sennheiser IE8s (over £200!) and the Phonaks simply blew the Sennheisers away. They are so revealing of every detail, and nothing gets lost in the mix, ever. Bass response is excellent, but balanced - if you're looking for headphones that will drive your eardrums into your brain then I'd suggest these are not for you. If you're looking for an audiophile experience, though, I find it hard to imagine that there is anything better, and better value, on the market.

The only downside is that they are so transparent they make crummy recordings sound like the rubbish they are, but with good source material they are simply brilliant. I use them mainly on an iPod that has iTunes+ encoded tracks from lossless sources, and it sounds wonderful.

Also very light and comfortable to wear, once you've got over the fiddling with finding the right ear piece size and used to the over-ear style.

Unhesitatingly recommend these to anyone, except for total bassheads. And even for them, I'd definitely audition these alongside all the other similarly priced big brand stuff.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Edit (14 October 2011)

Since writing the above, I've had the opportunity to listen the IE8s more extensively, and it's clear to me now that they are excellent 'phones, so I think my opinion regarding their performance compared with the Phonak's is not justified. However, is their performance worth the extra £££? Now that would be really hard to justify. I suspect in a blind ear test, if it were possible to carry out such a thing, almost anyone would be very hard pressed to tell any significant difference in sound quality between the two, so the Phonak's still win hands down in that regard.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 28 Jan 2014
Mr. J. A. S. Williams (U.K) - See all my reviews
Sorry for the title, but this is a really important to know the following.

Replacement filters do not come with the headphone, neither does the tool to remove them. It is possible to clean the filters with hydrogen pyroxide IF YOU CAN REMOVE THE filters. Which is difficult without the tool.

You CAN'T buy the filter changing kit as sales are discontinued in Europe and only available via FedEx order from the U.S for $25 (where the filter replacements and toola are $16). I currently found someone through ebay who is sending them from china.

After contacting the company i was told "tough s***" (paraphrasing), order from the U.S.

So DO NOT BUY THESE HEADPHONES unless you want to replace them after a few months.

For note I have bought two sets which the exact same thing has happened to me after 9 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard To Beat, 9 Jan 2011
I'm not a great review writer but I'm so pleased with my Phonak 012s that I feel moved to write something about them.

I think I've found my perfect in-ears with the 012s. I've worked my way up over the years from generic earbuds to a pair of Sennheiser CX300s, then Klipsch Image S4s and now the Phonaks and I've noticed a worthwhile improvement with each step.

The S4s are excellent earphones but I find the bass is a bit overdone, uneven and unnatural sounding, whereas the Phonaks have a very smooth and even performance over the entire frequency range. The bass goes as low as the S4s but it's tighter and more well defined. The mids are full, bright and clear and there's no shrillness or sibilance at the top end. The music just sounds more natural and there seems to be more 'air' (is that what audiophiles call 'soundstage'?) than with any other IEMs I've tried. With well recorded music I'm able to hear every little nuance - things like vocal breath sounds, string buzz, fret noise etc., are clearer than I've ever heard before.

They are also the most comfortable and least fiddly in-ears I've ever tried - they just go in and stay there with a really good seal. Absolutely fantastic for late-night listening in bed or for a nice walk on the beach.

I listen to mostly blues and 60s/70s rock on my Cowon J3 with high bitrate mp3s and I think the biggest compliment I can give the Phonaks is that after a couple of minutes I just forget they are there.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did they get the saxophone into my head?, 12 May 2011
Andrew (East Kilbride, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I recently upgraded my portable player from a Sony NWA-806 to a Cowon iAUDIO9. The Sony was a nice wee player, and my 128kbps ATRAC3plus encoded music was detailed enough to match my old Sennheisser CX300s, but I encoded all my CDs into FLAC when I got the Cowon, and suddenly the sound felt very lacking in clarity and depth from the CX's compared to my hi-fi. Having looked at pretty much everything from higher end Sennheissers to £180 Shures, I purchased these Phonaks having read some rave reviews.

And... they are as good as others say they are. It took a little getting used to the symmetrical cable (the CX300 has a short left ear, and round-the-neck longer right ear cable), but the fit from the medium ear tips is perfect for me and the way they block outside sound comparable or perhaps slightly better than the CX's.

The sound is like nothing I've ever heard. I listen to everything from Beethoven to Metallica, but mostly tested these on a middle ground of Norah Jones, Sting and My Chemical Romance. The detail is stunning, the bass is fluid and warm, and voices and mid-range instruments like sax sound as though either you are in a room listening to them, or they are inside your head. It actually doesn't sound like listening through earphones, which is impressive beyond anything I have heard before. Trebles are clear without being too sharp, and I noticed little things like hearing the difference between different snares, or triangles being played quietly in the background. Stings voice is amazing when he's blasting out in full voice, but on the mellower songs like Moon Over Bourbon Street I could hear every nuance of emotion too.

If there's a downside, it's that for an extra £20 or less from some places you can get the full kit with extra filters, the Comply tips and the cleaning tool, but for a buy-it-and-it-works solution at this price they are wonderful.

1.0 out of 5 stars THESE START OFF EXCELLENT BUT QUALITY DROPS OFF RAPIDLY, 31 Jan 2014
REPLACED BY AMAZON AS SOUND DROPPED OFF IN BOTH EAR PIECES, REPLACEMENT PAIR AFTER 2 MONTHS THE RIGHT HAND EARPIECE HAS NOW GOT THE SAME FAULT !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Headphones, 26 Dec 2011
Got these for half price during the Black Friday Lightning Deals. Im using them to replace the standard monitors that come with the iPhone. The sound reprodution is stunning, certainly the best headphones I have ever used. Bass sounds great and is not overpowering. These block out most ambient noise, but you can purchase foam comply buds which do an even better job. They are comfortable, but still getting used to fitting them over the ear. The cable seems sturdy and from my limited use so far, doesn't seem to tangle easily. The monitors are black plastic and dont highlight that your wearing an expensive, quality piece of kit. Would recommend without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phonak Audéo 012, 5 Dec 2011
Just got this in-ear phones from Black Friday. The packaging is just about right, you can tell that they care about the package.

So about the phones itself. they are small, moreover than I was expecting which is good. They enter real good in your ear, more than sennheiser's and you don't even feel them in your ear. Like they said, its really comfortable.

When you put any music you know the difference right away. You feel air, space. You can tell every instrument, every frequency apart, without any difficulty. They have a well balanced sound. The bass is always there when needed but not too much. I come from sennheiser CX400 II which are a good pair of in-ears and the difference is amazing. Its more pure, like you are hearing them in a studio.

100% recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Earphones!, 4 Dec 2011
Got these in the post about a week ago, (three days before the actual delivery estimate which I was very happy about :D). This is the first time I've ever bought a pair of earphones worth more than £20 and now I hear what all the fuss is about. They are truely amazing earphones and I can't believe I managed to get them at such a steal (£39.99 on black friday lightning deals :D). Would recommend to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price range you will not regret this, 29 Nov 2011
OK - these headphones are excellent for the price range. Distortion is minimal and yes, you do get the "warm" sound feeling in your ears. They do not come with foam tips unlike their more expensive cousins, so you may want to consider investing in the tips (unless you're lucky enough to get a perfect fit from the supplied silicone tips).
Overall these earphones are great, and this is coming from someone who has returned 2 different models in the last 6 months as i felt the quality for money ratio was not on my side... ;). These are keepers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I could hope for, 27 Nov 2011
I didnt bother to read the box before using these so ended up wearing them wrong; they were still brilliant. Really comfortable fit which makes them feel part of your ear. The quality of sound is second to none and so far i have found they are consistently good with various music genres.