4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating
To read a diary really allows you to be there. Yes of course this is Campbell oriented ~ it is a diary but what a fascinating account. Very easy to read.
Published on 21 Aug 2011 by Jan

3.0 out of 5 stars an autobiography would of been a lot better
Ac is an incredibly interesting character with a fantastic story to tell. Unfortunately the way he tells it spoils it for me. I get it, he's printed it the way he wrote it, as quite a shorthand quick account. But for me this format lacks real thought provoking elements and is frankly difficult to read.

It is good at getting across the sense of the always on...
Published 18 months ago by fiscalstudent

3.0 out of 5 stars an autobiography would of been a lot better, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: Diaries Volume One: Prelude to Power: 1 (Kindle Edition)

It is good at getting across the sense of the always on pressure of politics and his personal life certainly suffers as a result. But there are only so many times you can read "GB and PM aren't getting on at all at the moment" before it becomes annoying.

Equally he seems to take for granted that the reader knows all the background to events

I enjoyed reading to get a sense of politics but I will not be reading volumes 2,3,4.

I hope he writes an autobiography because this is just written too poorly to really enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 21 Aug 2011
Jan "Love crime books and history but not alw... (Knaresborough, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of energy, politics and a bit of gossip, 9 May 2013
Having read Burden of Power (Campbell's most recent published diary) I decided to go back to the beginning. There does seem to be a distinct difference in pace between the two books, Campbell appears to have much more energy in Prelude to Power. Prelude to Power is an interesting account, particularly if you look at it against the current backdrop of Labour gearing up towards the 2015 general election.
The style of writing can take a little bit of getting used to, but it is worth keeping going, clearly concisely written with just the right amount of gossip. My sole criticism is that the print is too small, which can be off-putting.
All in all worth a read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Diaries Volume One: Prelude to Power: 1 (Kindle Edition)
I like political diaries and autobiographies and I've read all the well known ones from the last few years. However, in my opinion, this is the worst one I've picked up. It's quite unreadable and I only got through about thirty pages. Its badly written, quite difficult to follow and boring with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars mmmm not sure, 22 April 2011
R. Packham "Ray Packham" (Brighton Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
I am never sure how this book is to be taken I read it with a dose of scepticism, is he correct ? Maybe only history will tell I am not purchasing the other volumes though as I just dont think its all historical fact.

ARRAY(0xf82b9e4)