4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good free view box
The unit was very easy to set up and activated itself to find channels. Has good picture quality. Happy with it for now.
Published 5 months ago by Steven Edler

3.0 out of 5 stars You need to know this if you buy this box...
I bought this box after doing the usual exhaustive dredging of the internet trying to find info before buying.

I went for this box as in the seemingly limited HD Freeview tuner-only market there's not much choice, and a lot of the other boxes I read reviews for complained of a poor EPG. This one is ok though, in my opinion.

When it arrived there was...
Published 4 months ago by Zacko

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good free view box, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Digital Stream DHP8100U Freeview HD 'PVR Ready' Set-Top Box with USB Record Function and CI Slot (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Does what it says on the tin!, 3 Mar 2014
Red Swan (UK East Yorhshire) - See all my reviews
All working, easy to use, no problems at all.

The only reason that I cannot give it full points is that the website MitLondon.com does not exist anymore so therefore it would be difficult to get software updates and support.

The main digital stream website has no firmware or app updates for this system.

I have just noticed that if you plug the box into your internet router (wired) you get the option for BBC IPlayer via the red button. When you click on what you want to watch (within IPlayer) it just gives you an error message. With the lack of support from MIT London Ltd it's not clear how or if this can be fixed!

3.0 out of 5 stars You need to know this if you buy this box..., 2 Mar 2014

When it arrived there was a sticker on the top of the box itself telling me I needed to do an update to the box, and giving a web address for this purpose. Unfortunately this address no longer works. After more dredging, I discovered that Digital Stream have apparently pulled out of the UK market. I guess leaving their download page up and running was too big an ask, and the over-the-air update option said there was nothing available.

After yet more internet dredging, including wasting time on Digital Stream's own website (which only lists the manual for download for this machine in the download section) I stumbled across the updates listed at the following page:

[...]

I had to download the file, unzip it, then re-format a USB drive to FAT32 format (I use a Mac - if you do, here's the info you need to do it: [...]) and then put just the files (no folder that they came in) onto the drive. Once I plugged it in it did manage to update using the box's menu.

Sadly for me, I appear to have moved to a house with poor reception on the HD channels, so I'll probably piss some more cash away on a signal booster before arriving at the conclusion that a 15 cheapo Freeview box would've saved me money, time and grief - although this isn't really the fault of the Digital Stream box.

Basically, the EPG seems decent, the normal channels look fine, and the box seems to be doing it's job. It comes with a HDMI and SCART lead in the box which is good, but the woeful lack of support to get the box updated is a cheaply and easily avoided issue (especially as I have done all the work required here for yours/the seller's benefit).

The reason for only giving 3 stars was really down to the fact that I had to spend a long time figuring this stuff out.

1.0 out of 5 stars 'white elephant', 4 April 2011
I bought this less than a year ago and apart from the first few weeks it has not worked at all. It is extremely difficult to follow the trouble-shooting instructions and I have contacted the supplier's helpdesk on many occasions but have not received any useful help or information. The box interferes with digital tv reception, does not record any programmes and has become the proverbial 'white elephant' as it gathers dust on my cabinet. I have rated it as one star but it deserves nothing and if I had known this was to be the outcome I would not have bought it. It is an over-priced pointless piece of kit and I strongly discourage anyone from buying one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digi Box, 11 April 2014
Excellent digi box to convert an analogue television to a digital signal. Very easy indeed to set up, and the added bonus has been that we now receive more stations than on our main HD television.

3.0 out of 5 stars freeview-digital, 5 April 2013
Looks good. Plug and play fairly easy although I took one or two leaps of imagination to actually get set up.
Overall-nice picture. Operation a little slow on channel changes. But ok.