5.0 out of 5 stars Review: 'First Impressions' by Alexa Adams
Published 6 months ago by Jody - "A Spoonful of Hap...

3.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing
I understand the point of view of the other reviewers and I can concede this is not as engaging as Pride & Prejudice itself; BUT, I also have to point out, it doesn't even try to be P&P!
I mean, seriously, have those reviewers read the blurb before buying the book?!
Published on 6 Nov 2011 by Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 6 Nov 2011
I mean, seriously, have those reviewers read the blurb before buying the book?!
A huge part of P&P appeal is the verbal clashing between Lizzie and Darcy, I know, I'm a huge fan too.
But, a couple of times, while rereading P&P, I wondered "what if he hadn't said she wasn't handsome enough? what if they had liked each other at first sight?", and this book is the answer to those questions.
Is it my favourite JA fan-fiction? No; but it's also not my least favourite.
It's a relaxing read, perfect for when we need a smooth romance.
I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: 'First Impressions' by Alexa Adams, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice (Tales of Less Pride and Prejudice Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
We all know what happened when one of the greatest couples of all time, Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy, first laid eyes on each other. While Mr. Darcy decided the young woman `not handsome enough' to tempt him, Elizabeth immediately wrote Darcy off as too proud. But how would their love story have turned out if things had been different? In this novel the whole storyline of Austen's `Pride and Prejudice' is altered by a big change at the start of it all: Darcy and Elizabeth dance with one another at the Meryton assembly and slowly start to fall in love, which also alters the paths of almost all the people around them...

Over the years I've read many adaptations of Austen stories, and I have to say that this is definitely one of my favourites so far. I loved what Alexa Adams did with the plotline; changing almost everything by altering a detail at the beginning of it all. The novel still has Austen's beloved basic storyline and keeps close to the events in the original and characters at its core, but with a fascinating twist. I especially loved the focus on characters like Mary Bennet, Kitty Bennet and Georgiana Darcy, who don't play very big roles in the original, and how this focus gives them the attention they deserve and manages to answer questions readers might have about what could have happened to these characters.

It is clear Alexa Adams treats Jane Austen's writing and original novel with respect and I was surprised by how she managed to get close to Austen's writing style and that authentic feel of her work. This adaptation has enjoyable dialogues and wittiness, and is a read I'd definitely recommend to lovers of Austen and/or `Pride and Prejudice.' Alexa Adams' `First Impressions' is a wonderful debut novel; a charming and well-written retelling of a classic many of us can't get enough of, and I personally am already excited about reading the two other sequels the author has written!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Short Story, 25 Nov 2013
I enjoyed this book and was shocked by the negative comments it received. The book is what it is, a short story and a "what if" nothing awful happened and everything was plain sailing and why not? I love the P & P sequels but sometimes there are so many obstacles in the way of Darcy and Elizabeth getting together that they can be frustrating at times. I thought this was a nice, light quick read with a really good twist at the end and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and unique story!, 21 Nov 2013
I was contacted by the lovely Alexa Adams asking me if I would like to review her trilogy, Tales of Less Pride and Prejudice, and I was only too happy to agree! I was provided with a review copy but this is my honest, unbiased opinion. This `what if' variation captured my intention as soon as I read the blurb - I had always wondered what might have happened had Darcy danced with Elizabeth at the Meryton assembly rather than insulting her, resulting in Elizabeth's opinion not being immediately prejudiced against this mysterious man, and their relationship beginning on a much happier note.

Summing up... This is Pride and Prejudice with all the same events taking place, but perhaps as they should (or rather, could) have happened, had all gone smoothly! I say `should have', but I do not really mean `should' - after all, Pride and Prejudice is Pride and Prejudice, and it is loved for all the misunderstandings and miscommunications between Darcy and Elizabeth! But, it is enjoyable to read a version of Pride and Prejudice where, for example, all carries on smoothly between Bingley and Jane and Elizabeth is warned much earlier of the true nature of Wickham and therefore does not fall for his charms. Basically, all the things which while reading the original make you think `if only so and so had/hadn't done this or that...' happen that way in this variation.

It was a nice change to read a variation which keeps very close to the original - all the assemblies and events being the same - with only the slight (but important!) difference that Darcy and Elizabeth are favourably disposed towards one another. I haven't read a variation which kept this close to the events of the original before, and I like it. There were many familiar conversations from the original story coming up but with the addition of Darcy and Elizabeth's budding relationship being included; for example, the talk after the Meryton assembly between Jane and Elizabeth includes both Bingley and Darcy as they discuss the evening, both with big smiles and many girly giggles and feeling very happy! Also there is the talk with Charlotte Lucas about the importance of encouraging both Bingley AND Darcy in their affections.

It was a very strange variation to read, I will admit - I think the strangest aspect was reading the characters we know and love behave very differently and very unlike their normal selves, and it was bizarre to read - but fun! A few examples of what I mean by this...

It was very extraordinary, but lovely, to see Mr Darcy being described in such a favourable light so soon in the story! Elizabeth thinking him agreeable and gentlemanly from the first moment of their acquaintance! Mr Darcy also acts differently (and more beneficially for himself) in his actions. Louisa Hurst, too, takes a different view towards Bingley's attachment to Jane and also towards her sister Caroline's continual pursuit of Mr Darcy! And Mr Bennet decides to take an interest in his family and curb some of their more embarrassing behaviour! Bingley, too, is a more authoritative character and (perhaps most surprisingly) we are presented with a much more giving Lady Catherine de Bourgh - unheard of!

I always like to have some sort of description of the marriages and then the `happily ever afters' which follow, as well as the futures of most of the other characters who have been part of the story and I was not disappointed here.

One of my favourite aspects to this story was the authoress' style of writing - the narration style is very story like and the story is told in a very charming manner meaning it always remained interesting and never dragged. Transitions between different settings and between characters are also very smooth - we have interactions, conversations and insight into the thoughts of many characters throughout the story!

I love the way she interacts with the reader - 'and so dear reader' type of thing - and when the author is talking almost directly to the reader like that, it makes it feel more personal which I enjoy. Most of the time there was an omniscient narrator who knows all and who is always present, commenting and remarking on the unfolding events in a very funny manner, with satirical comments or rhetorical questions. One of my favourite examples of this would be when Darcy and Georgiana are reunited after an extended absence, and the narrator remarks, `after exchanging the mandatory pleasantries which must be attended to upon any reunion, regardless of their value conversationally, Darcy said, "I stop here..."' - it's just brilliant. This way of speaking to the reader with the added sarcastic comments on society, mannerisms and etiquette is very much in the style of Jane Austen.

I am looking forward to the next two stories, seeing Kitty's and Charlotte's paths to love.
What I will admit is that I would have liked to have more romantic interactions between Darcy and Elizabeth, however that is just my romantic nature wanting more as I fully understand and appreciate that the focus of this variation is not the romance, but it is the humour and twists to the story and characters! And anyway, there were still enjoyable moments of sweet words and shared looks.

I found it a very refreshing change to read a story which was low on misunderstandings and angst, where everything goes to plan and unfolds as it should with minimal problems! It may not be a favourite variation romantically, but it is most certainly a favourite for the comical style and for the uniqueness of the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 26 Aug 2013
I loved this reworking of the tale, I liked the idea of the witty narrator turning it into a comedy of errors. I could have done with a bit more tension and angst but on the whole I enjoyed myself enough to read it in two days despite the distraction of caring for and entertaining my family.

Although this is of the better P&P vagaries I've read, there was a little summarising going on, there were definitely parts of the tale worth lingering on. On to part two...

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Book, 20 May 2013
I enjoyed this story very much, beautifully written and very funny and entertaining. I recommmend this to any P & P Fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst sequels I have read...., 18 July 2011
Lynne Robson "Lynne" (Dronfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It is up with Trust and Triumph by Norma Gatje-Smith and also Pemberley and An Unequal Marriage by Emma Tennant, I am sorry to say. Both these writers I am sure did not read the book first.

This writer has read the book but does not seem to have given her story a plot. The story is supposed to be about the first impressions made when you meet someone but that does not come over when reading the book which is such a shame. I could see where the writer was wanting her story to go but it fell short. Who ever her beta's were needed to give her more help to boost the story line.

The story is so flat and boring I was skipping chapter after chapter to find something interesting in the story. In the end I had gotten to the end of the book and still did not know what the plot was or the story. Sorry to say but this is not one of my favourite books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland, Bland, Bland!, 15 Dec 2010
Lucilia F. Pires (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Nothing out of the ordinary happens in this book. They meet, they fall in love, they marry, end of story. There are no twists of the plot, no setbacks, everything is a bed of roses... Dull, dull, dull. Just a Thought: Maybe Jane Austen used both Pride and Prejudice to make the story more interesting...