4.0 out of 5 stars A story of life before, during and after the holocaust.
This is a moving account of several family members and their experiences. Although it is somewhat disjointed in places,this is an account which offers an insight to the Times. I was also fascinated to read about the abuse of power by some of the Americans, this book although harrowing at times is a must read.
Published 21 months ago by J Barnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but a bit long
Not the best book on the subject, but it was interesting to read. I wish there would have made it a bit less desciptive
Published on 30 April 2012 by NathalieC

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of life before, during and after the holocaust., 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but a bit long, 30 April 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars We never lost hope, 13 July 2014
This stated off with how Rich Jewish family lived unfortunately even though the horror they were to face seemed to turn into a farce for Edith and Hilda, there relationships with the Gi' s seemed not very Jewish to me. The whole story was based on the Rich Jew Families who never seemed to have time for the poorer Jews.

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth it, 27 Dec 2013
Nicely done, the way that the story is told by different members of the family, needs a good editor, but very descriptive - very strong characters, with a great story that needs to be told.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame..., 5 May 2013
I hate having to give such poor review to a book on this subject matter. The events are obviously deeply personal and moving to those involved, however this does not make for a good memoir.
In kindle the formatting is appalling, with ends of sentences appearing pages before their beginnings. This could have been overlooked if the material had been stronger. The accounts are dry and impersonal, yet not detailed enough to be historically interesting.
The book needed to have a more personal voice, with comments about how the protagonists felt or how they coped, to sit comfortably in the memoir genre. Lacking this we needed more detail about the events or how they sat in the historical context. We have neither.
I suspect the book is composed of edited accounts, missing the horror and negative feelings that must have been felt, given to a family member in order to satisfy their curiosity without overly distressing them. Unfortunately this does not make it book worthy, and certainly not worth the price it is being offered at currently.

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly Formatted, 8 Jan 2013
I was looking forward to reading this book on my new Kindle. Thankfully I downloaded it for free as I would be very unhappy had I paid for it. You just start to get into it, and then a random sentence appears, mid sentence, the beginning part of the sentence is a few pages away, the first couple of times I just dealt with it and thought just a slight error in formatting. but no....the further I went, the worse it got, so now I have given up entirely. A real shame. I just hope this isn't a common problem with Kindle books, otherwise i feel i may have wasted my money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Disappointing! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY (or time!), 17 Jun 2012
Firstly, being that the Holocaust is one of the most important historical events in history and is a tragic chapter of Jewish history, I spend copious amounts of time researching the subject. The scope of the crimes of the Holocaust are astronomical. For us to absorb the lessons of history, it is very important those who are trying to document it, do a good job. Unfortuntly, this "memoir" does not measure up, as it was one of the most boring things and ill-constructed things I've ever tried to read. It had no flow.

Can it be considered a Holocaust story or memoir? I don't think so. It is more of a transcription of family members telling their stories than anyting else. I am not sure why Sir Martin Gilbert would attach his good name to this clumsy effort. Because of its poor construction, I question its historical accuracy. It seemed the author sat with family members ,recorded their stories, and later transcribed them onto paper.I could not get through it. From what I was able read, it did not seem to correlate with what actually happened at the time and in the places described, when compared to actual scholarly works and narratives on the subject matter at hand.

Secondly, I understand sales are bad, so now that the author now tries to give this away for free. I had been receiving a lot of spam telling me to download a free Kindle copy. Unfortunately, I already had bought it (along with many other, but better, materials). If you get spammed as many other are, and the opportunity to download free copy, I do not suggest you take the advantage of it. As some have said, "you get what you pay for." From the other reviews I've read, it seems the Kindle version is even WORSE and more unorganized and scattered than what I tried to get through in the first places.

In conclusion, there's many mmore important narratives as well as scholarrly works about this time period. This sloppy transcript is not worth your time or effort. Tragically, I'm afraid such poorly constructed "memoirs" like this, which do not seem correlate with the facts of the time and places described, might even help to fuel Holocaust denial. That could possibly be the worst thing about this, that it is so disjointed and terribly done that some might think it's pure fiction. While I hope the author had good intentions, they seem misguided, as this effort itself is an injustice! I do not understand how someone wanting to document such an important part of history and even their own familiy history could be so careless in the formatting and construction of such an important event in history!