4.0 out of 5 stars At Last! A Frisbee-Proof iPod Speaker Dock!
I never quite got those speaker docks that have your precious iPod perched on top (or out front) like a target in a shooting gallery. Who's idea was that? One knock and the whole thing's toast. How much better, I thought, if the iPod could be tucked snugly inside the dock, out of harm's way.

The folks at KitSound were clearly thinking along the same lines when...
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by The Tea Caddy

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh No!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:19 Mins
I really have tried to like this, it looks good and I love the way it will play the music either inside or outside the machine. I did also wonder if it had to go into airplane mode when encapsulated, but it doesn't, so that's a plus.

Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Heavenly Vegan

4.0 out of 5 stars At Last! A Frisbee-Proof iPod Speaker Dock!, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: KitSound Capsule 8 Speakers for iPod and iPhone (Accessory)

The folks at KitSound were clearly thinking along the same lines when they designed the CAPSULE8. In place of a wobbly, external mount there's a little black throne that glides smoothly up out of the casing like an old-fashioned cinema organ when you press the OPEN/CLOSE button. Slot in your iPod, press the button again and enjoy a moment of profound satisfaction as the throne descends, carrying your music collection down into the body of the machine, where it remains visible (and accessible to the supplied remote) through a glossy, tinted panel on the front of the unit. If, like me, you're a little bit simple-minded and easily pleased, you'll get hours of pleasure from making the iPod ride majestically up and down through the shiny hatch on top of the CAPSULE8 - while it's actually playing!

The sound quality is perfectly respectable for the size and price range, with a decent FM radio and a handful of fairly subtle equaliser presets built in. My only gripe is that, despite having the ability to run on batteries, the CAPSULE8 is not quite as portable as it should be. I would have preferred a proper handle over a moulded hole in the back, and an extendable metal arial instead of a metre-long trailing black wire that belongs on a rack-mounted receiver and is almost guaranteed to get stepped on while you're carrying the thing around. And don't shake the unit too hard or knock it over, because your iPod will fall out of the throne and rattle around in there like a pea in a whistle. Aside from these annoyances, the CAPSULE8 gets very close to replicating the portability and convenience of a classic 80s style cassette radio player, with stylish 21st century twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent speakers., 17 April 2012
Upon first glances, this is a large dock with a nice black finish.

The sound of the Capsule8 is fantastic for a speaker of its size with great bass.

The only problems I had involved the alarm clock that can't be taken off '12' volume, which is quite loud. The clock is hard to setup at first and eight batteries seems quite a lot for a dock.

However I would recommend this dock for anyone on a budget under £30.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh No!, 23 Nov 2011
Length:: 0:19 Mins

However - the sound is poor, particularly in comparison to the KitSound BoomDock. I got the BoomDock recently and fell in love with it but it's too big to keep it in the kitchen. I love it so much that I can't return it even though it's too large. Because it was so good I decided to get this Capsule8 as it is a smaller machine, hoping that the sound might be at least half as good as the BoomDock. It's not. It has to go back.

Guess it would be ok for a bedroom.

It's not particularly light, and of course will be heavier with batteries inside. The carry 'handle' isn't very ergonomic.

Also, the remote is not easy to use. It has to be pointed at a particular spot, its not very sensitive and seems flimsy. See on my video, it sits next to my iPhone4 so you can get an idea of size. It is the 'blister pack' design.

Capsule8 isn't supplied with phono cable for use with iPad or other MP3 player.

I've not been able to get it to set the time nor memorise all the radio stations.

If the sound was better I would put up with the other problems. Such as shame, as I said, I have tried hard to like this but it's a no-go for me I'm afraid.

ps: I did record video with music from Capsule8 playing but the sound has been removed for some reason.