5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Product
Published 16 months ago by PPS076

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't be buying this again.
The powder clumps together in a protein shaker, even the kind which uses a metal mixer ball. You end up having to chew through the resulting coagulated power which tastes vile. I've tried mixing the powder in different ways and adding flavouring, but I get the same disappointing result.

I've been through several brands of whey-based protein powders in the past...
Published 18 months ago by Mr. A. Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Product, 19 Aug 2013
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) (Personal Care)
I decided to buy this product because I was unhappy with the amount of toxins (artificial colours, preservatives, sweeteners etc) that I was putting into my body from Normal protein powders. I wanted a protein powder that was as healthy as possible that did not cost the earth or contained any meat or dairy products (Vegan protein). I wanted it to be organic (Antibiotic, Insecticides, Pesticides & Herbicides etc free).

I was alarmed to hear that 90% of soya worldwide was from USA and that 90% of that is Genetically modified (GMO). Soya is one of the best proteins to take because it's 90% protein and it has an amino acid profile score of 100 (contains all the right amount of amino acids in the right proportion). Vegan-wise, only Hemp can match this, however the downside with hemp is that it contains only 45% protein with around 12.6% fat (albeit healthy fat), 21% fibre and about 15% carbs (albeit slow release carbs ).

This product is 100% natural and ticks all the desired boxes on paper.

The price was reasonable at £13.50 for 1kg given that Hemp protein & Brown rice protein were £18.50 - £20.00 per 1 Kg (Pea protein was £13.50 which I also bought at the same time). (Refer to Pea protein comment at the end of this review).

I purchased the item on a free 3-5 day delivery and it arrived on day 4 from 5 in a well packaged box. The communication that I received from the seller was first class.

When I prepared the product for the first time, I used a pint glass and a large spoon and added 40g of it to cold water (about 36g protein in 40g product with fat & carbs content being extremely low). It did not mix very well and I ended up with an unmanageable paste which I did not want to eat. The taste was exactly what I expected; Soya! (Yukkk!!). Not very tasty on its own I'm afraid.

My second attempt at making a protein shake from it was much better. Instead of using a pint glass, I put it in a protein shaker (you can buy these for £2-3), added 2 table spoons of raw organic cocoa powder (into the water first) and shook it hard a few times. I ended up with a thick chocolate mouse dessert, much like a normal chocolate mouse. It tasted surprisingly nice!.

So in summary: This product ticks all the boxes on paper: it's cheap, Vegan, Organic, Natural, GMO free, high in protein, low in fat and carbs. If you can eat it plain then great. However most people will have to add something tasty to it and make it in a protein shaker.

I would highly recommend this product. I have already bough 3 bags in the past 12 months.

Note on Pea Protein:

I found that the Pea Protein tasted far nicer than the Soya Protein, however it has the same problem as Brown Rice protein. However If you take Pea protein and Rice protein together the blend then gives you a complete protein. Although the bag of Pea Protein that I bought was tasty, Pulsin have now changed the formulation due to 'supplier issues'. The new formulation (the one that they sell now for £6.99 no longer tastes as good as the old formulation but I would still drink it and I believe that it's a bargain at that price).

If I had to put the Pulsin vegan powders in order of taste then I would have to put them in this order and taste rating:

1/ Brown Rice = 10/10 (Refer to Brown Rice Protein review)
2/ Pea Protein = 9.5/10 (No review written for this yet - Old Formulation)
3/ Pea Protein = 5/10 (No review written for this yet - New Formulation)
4/ Hemp Protein = 5/10 (No review written for this yet)
5/ Soya Protein (Raw) = 4.5/10 (9/10 with cocoa powder)

Verdict: Highly Recommended at £13.75 or less.

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Very low carb, mixes well, pleasant taste, 18 Feb 2011
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Very low carb (3.5g per 100 grams) and contains no sweeteners. Mixes very well into liquid as a drink or straight into dry ingredients as a baking component. Pleasant but not overwhelming vanilla taste, doesn't have that powdery, starchy taste a lot of protein powders have, and the pack re-closes well (small but important detail!).

I'll definitely be re-ordering.

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't be buying this again., 24 Jun 2013
Mr. A. Ellis "Alex Ellis" (CAMBS) - See all my reviews

I've been through several brands of whey-based protein powders in the past which all mixed well and tasted good enough. Now I've developed lactose intolerance and I thought I would be able to turn to a pure, unadulterated soy powder, wrong.

Perhaps a flavoured protein powder with bulking agents and anti-frothing agents would produce a product that is easier to stomach. The saving grace is that I bought a 250g sample pack and not 1kg.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this product, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) (Personal Care)
I absolutely love this product. It is sugar free for a start, which is difficult to find in protein powers. I mix it with yoghurt, or kefir, and a bit of fuit- use a soup blender - and there is my breakfast ready and waiting. I find it easily keeps me going for next 3 or 4 hours. I love the simplicity of it - very easy for the digestive system to deal with first thing in the morning. I also like the fact that I can choose how it tastes depending on the 'fruit' I use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) (Personal Care)
I eat this every morning with soya yoghurt and fruit and make smoothies with it after long rides. Can't live without it as recovery fuel and to keep me going in the morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 21 Oct 2011
Good post and packaging also fast delivery . I was very happy with the product and transaction as a whole would purchase product again

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternate to whey., 22 Mar 2013
With the price of whey protein going through the roof for a quality product this is an average alternative. If you suffer with digestive problems but want an extra boost to your diet as you are a regular gym goer then this could be your answer. However, mixed with water or soya milk it tastes disgusting, chalky and thick. I,ve since experimented with choc powder, cinnamon and I think Ive managed to make it drinkable. At 18g of protein per serving, its not up there with a good quality whey isolate,so this wont bulk you up, only a good diet will do that. But as a supplement to an already healthy diet for those who cant tolerate lactose this is a worthy addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulsin Soya Protein, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) (Personal Care)
A very high quality product. GM free. Nothing added, as in no sugar, junk flavouring or any other packers. A great source of quality protein.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't live without this stuff, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) (Personal Care)
I stumbled across this powder about 6 months ago whilst trying to find a 'natural' alternative to all of those artificial chemical laden protein powders you find in most supplement stores. I'll admit I was dubious and I read a few of the reviews on here which convinced me to give it a go.

Taste
The powder itself tastes rancid. You can imagine, it has nothing added so won't be sweet or at all palatable so you'll need to add it to something else, food or I have it morning and night in the form of a shake. I've found mixing it with water, one small banana and a spoonful of peanut butter counters the aftertaste and makes it taste quite nice.

A note for the ladies

After drinking the powder for a few days, I noticed my skin (which has been oily and spot prone especially on the chin area) started clearing up. After a week my skin was the clearest it has been in years and my periods are a lot lot lighter. After doing a bit of research into soy, it's because soy mimics oestrogen in the body so essentially drinking this affects your hormone levels. As the title says, I couldn't live without this stuff, its a godsend. Very reasonably priced as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars good protein, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) (Personal Care)
very good source of protein, does not give you a gassy stomach like some of the other powders out there

Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg)