5.0 out of 5 stars A SUPERB NOVEL.
George A Romero is one of my absolute all time favourite authors. Iain McKinnon's imaginably rich tale, not only feels frighteningly realistic, it also puts him on a par with recognised zombie horror authors everywhere.

Published on 15 Aug 2009 by S. CLARK

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch your enimies close and your friends closer.
The book is a good read and is quite enjoyable, but there doesn't seem to be much to it.
To me it seemed that the author concentrated more on detail rather than the storey. It tells in one part that when they were saved they would have to fit back into civilisation and work and pull their own weight, but then at the end you think why go on for so long...
Published on 9 July 2012 by Ashley Gilder

5.0 out of 5 stars A SUPERB NOVEL., 15 Aug 2009
S. CLARK "RACHELSHAWN" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Paperback)

McKinnon's main characters of Sarah and Nathan are well-executed, benevolent, and pragmatic in their actions and motivations.So much so, that I often found myself rooting for them when things go bad. And boy, do things go bad. But it goes without saying this only adds to the tension of quite a superb novel.

McKinnon has managed to portray a very vivid and very unsettling picture of a world being cruelly entrenched by a zombie apocalypse.

His realistic approach to the zombie genre had me reading this book until the early hours of the morning.

I have never read anything quite like it; atmospheric, turbulent and extremely good. I can only wait in vain to see if another book is published.

A definite must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zombie fun, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Paperback)
This book was recommended by someone at a halloween party and although not the type of book I would normally read, I thought I would give it a go. I read this in just about one sitting (had to go play football in between) which gives a flavour of how accessible and enjoyable it was. It is a jolly good romp which doesn't let up, easy to relate to the characters and generally a lot of fun. My wife is more into the zombie/vampire/horror genre than I am and she's keen to read it next.

I might not read too many more zombie novels but if the author follows up with a sequel I'll be interested to know what happened with some of the loose ends.

4.0 out of 5 stars zombie fan, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
I have read many, many books of this genre and this is definatly one of the better ones. The one thing i didn't realise was this is book 1, this is not a bad thing but be prepared to have to by the second book Remains of the Dead I had to straight away as it ends on a cliff hanger. The plot is fast paced and well written. The story begins with a group of surviors held up in a warehouse were they've been for years when one day a helicopter appears in the distance. The choice is simple stay an starve or make a run for it an risk being eaten. Sounds like a lot of other zombie plots and though some of the story is a bit predictable it does have some new twists and orginal ideas. I would recomened this to anyone who enjoys getting their teeth in to a good zombie book :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy action-horror that will keep you reading on..., 23 Sep 2012
John Milton (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
I've always worn my diseased heart on my sleeve when it comes to the fact that I try to champion homegrown horror here in the UK and so, when I came across the work of fellow Scotsman Iain McKinnon in the awesome horror anthology Holiday of the Dead, I was keen to get my hands on some more of his work. What I discovered was his novel, Domain of the Dead, a story centring on the aftermath of the dead rising and plaguing the earth.

I have to admit that straight off the bat, the title of this tale did little to thrill me. It seems that every other zombie yarn these days simply rips off Romero's movies and slots in a different noun to make the title their own. However, this particular story comes with a foreword by David Moody: a man who knows a thing or two about stories of the walking dead, since he is the man behind the wildly popular Autumn series and Hater, the film rights to which have been snapped up by Guillermo del Toro. Armed with this information, my motivation distinctly perked up!

With hindsight, the synopsis provided sets the scene and describes the opening scenes of McKinnon's tale but does not betray the true course of the story; a story which is driven by action and destruction. Again, David Moody commented that Domain of the Dead has "... the claustrophobia of `Alien' with enough blood, action and reanimated corpses to satisfy hardened gore-fans" and I agree with the majority of that statement; gorehounds will absolutely love the carnage created by McKinnon in this tale and those who like their horror fast-apced and unrelenting won't be left disappointed. However, I didn't find Domain of the Dead to be claustrophobic like Ridley Scott's Alien but actually had more in common with its sequel, James Cameron's Aliens; in fact, one of the main characters I would suggest, owes a lot of his attributes to Hudson from the same film!

On a critical note, I was disappointed with what I considered to be a huge swathe of plot missing from Domain of the Dead. However, on further investigation, it would appear that McKinnon has reserved this particular storyline for the sequel to Domain, Remains of the Dead. Another issue that irked me a little was inappropriate use of language at times. At points in the book, I found American characters using what I would consider uniquely British language but to my mind, this is a small matter indeed.

Domain of the Dead is far from being a seminal entry to the sub-genre but is nevertheless a strong, competent entry in a field where zombie tales are ten a penny. As I stated earlier, it was McKinnon's contribution to Holiday of the Dead with his short story Jennifer, that led me to seek out more of his work. Jennifer was a truly horrifying tale that genuinely took me by surprise and left me shocked. Domain of the Dead is distinctly different from Jennifer in that it is a fast-paced action-horror novel and is the written equivalent of a streetfight: brutal, straightforward and horrifying, just the way tales of the walking dead should be!

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch your enimies close and your friends closer., 9 July 2012
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
To me it seemed that the author concentrated more on detail rather than the storey. It tells in one part that when they were saved they would have to fit back into civilisation and work and pull their own weight, but then at the end you think why go on for so long?

Basically the survivors get saved then find themselves in trouble but they are stuck on a ship and they are trying to escape. Its a different angle to most of the other books I've read but not the best.

I would recommend this book to any zombie fan because its 0.77p on the kindle and its vale for money. This book took me a few weeks to finish because it couldn't really get into it and there we not many page turners.

4.0 out of 5 stars zombies of the classic kind, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Paperback)
I really need to do something about my addictive personality. It has been almost nine months since I swore of reading another zombie novel. Yet here I find myself with Domain of the Dead read and ready for review.

So what made me go back to one of the most over worked genres? Truthfully it was all down to to the author Iain Mckinnon, who I met whilst being an extra for the Dead Beat trailer. Iain was the writer director, producer for the shoot, he came across as instantly likeable guy with a huge passion for the genre. He managed to push that button in my head, that gives me excuses to do things I really shouldn't. Surely someone with this amount of passion should be able to knock off a decent zombie story?

In DOTD Sarah and Nathan have been living in a fortified warehouse with a few other survivors, whilst the rest of the world has succumbed to the zombie horde. Faced with the the choice of starvation or death by zombie Sarah decides to throw herself of the roof of the warehouse. As she prepares to jump she notices a a helicopter in the distance. The survivors battle their way to the helicopter, and discover that it has come from a research ship, The Ishtar, which has been tasked with finding a solution to the zombie problem. They are taken aboard the ship, only to find that safety is a fragile thing and soon Nathan and Sarah are fighting for their very survival.

So the question is has Iain written a decent zombie novel? In all honesty, yes he did. This is a very tight novel, there are no pages wasted on back story, or the protagonists history. We are thrown head first in to world over run with zombies, that's not to say that he hasn't created fully rounded characters, or a well developed world. The action and tensions builds nicely as the story progresses, in many ways DOTD, reminded me of James Cameron's Aliens, while essentially a horror novel this read more like a Sci Fi novel, with the final chapters reminiscent of the marines battle with the aliens.

The zombies are the classic Romero type, which makes for a nice change. No super fast, dead corpses reanimated by demons zombies here. These are traditional zombies, for traditional zombie fans. Unlike a lot of zombie novels, DOTD goes into the science of what and how the zombie plague is. This is handled very well, it never feels like a big info dump, and doesn't kick you out of the story. This book was a treat to read right up to the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid type ending.

So has this book re-lighted any passion for zombies novels? Probably no,t but it has introduced me to a great new author, whose future novels I will most certainly pick up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Domain of the Dead, 10 May 2009
A. Dukelow "mumpsy" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Paperback)
The plot was very good but the characters were a bit thin. I prefer a book that makes me want to get to the end of it, not a book that I feel is trying to get me to the end of it. The main grievance I have with this book is how badly edited it was. I even got a pen to mark out where new paragraphs and chapters should have begun. I had to reread paragraphs because they didn't make sense; because of lack of new paragraphs/chapters the different scenes bled into one another. Silly typos such as of/off and there/their got to me also. A shame really because the story had some fresh twists and clever ideas. Worth reading for the zombie fan but don't expect anything as good as Z.A Recht

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ZA at its best., 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
ZA is a genre more saturated than a zombies undergarments, so trying to find the best and most exciting books tend to come down to who has the best book cover or the writers you know and trust. I read Demise Of The Living and it was a fantastic book so I knew I'd found an amazing author. I have just finished Domain Of The Dead and was not disappointed. I truly believe they are a fairly small group over gifted writers who keep the ZA alive and kicking. Or maybe dead and kicking. Iain McKinnon is one of this gifted band. This book had a brilliantly fluid and unflawed storyline, with characters of great depth. It was full of great action, and heart pounding terror. Amazing ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Paperback)
If youre a fan of zombie or post apocalypse films/books this novel will grab you and wont let go. McKinnons brought themes and scenarios from undead films that have spanned years and given the readers something to think of long after theyve finished reading the book. A very well written novel and an essential horror read. This isnt to be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced undead action, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Domain of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
Unusually this starts some years after an initial outbreak, with a bunch of survivors having scraped out an existence in a zombie ridden world by barricading themselves in a warehouse full of supplies. The tale follows some of these survivors after they are picked up by a helicopter and taken on board a research ship at sea. The story is fast paced, with interesting, and colourful characters whose fate you actually care about. One of the better undead books I've read..will definitely read the next installment!

Domain of the Dead