5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Solution to Extending a Home Network
Published on 14 Jan. 2012 by Mr. G. O. Woods

I fairly technically minded, so you'd think I would be able to setup this up relatively easily right? Wrong. After about 2 hours I gave up and rang the IT Support line from the website. I got through on the 3rd attempt (on a sunday afternoon --> so that is quite good service) and within 25 mins with the help of tech support had it fully working.

Good...
Published on 14 Mar. 2011 by RVR

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Solution to Extending a Home Network, 14 Jan. 2012
I live in an old house with stone walls about 2 feet (60cm) thick. With the ADSL router located in an upstairs office the only reliable WiFi connection was in the room immediately below it.This TP Link Range Extender,located downstairs, has extended the range of my WiFi coverage all over the ground floor and even out into the conservatory where there was no detectable signal before.Setting up the device was very simple, taking just a few minutes to set up the connection to my TalkTalk supplied Huawei EchoLife HG532 ADSL Router.I am impatient and intolerant of technology that doesn't work first time, but by using the push button set up option and the WPS button on the TalkTalk router set up was completely painless. You do the initial set up with the Range Extender right next to your ADSL router, then move it to it's prefered working position. It took a few minutes to find the best spot, with a convenient mains socket nearby, that gave good coverage throughout the house. Once this spot was found the connection proved to be fast and reliable.
There is a very useful piece of software called inSIDDer, available as freeware, that I downloaded on to a laptop to use as an indicator of signal quality around the house. This program displays all the wireless networks receivable at your location and their relative signal quality. I would recommend using this during the search for the ideal spot to place the Range Extender, it takes all of the guess work out of it. It is also a good survey tool if you haven't decided whether you are going to buy a Range Extender yet. All in all a highly recommended product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works seamlessly with New iPad, 23 May 2012
I am mainly on a Homeplug network at home which is vastly superior to wireless. However when I got the New iPad 3rd generation, I had to use my wireless more. My daughter's Netbook has no problems all over the house, but the iPad's wireless reception is weak. I ordered a new wireless router and even exchanged the iPad and it was just the same and I was still getting dropouts at the back of the house and only 1 bar on the signal strength.
So I bought this. I plugged it in next to my router and pressed the wps button on the router until it flashed. Then I held down the button on the front of this unit until it flashed. Ten seconds later the light went solid meaning it connected. I then unplugged the extender and plugged it in at the back of the house where it can just get a signal.
Result is I now have 3 bars of signal strength virtually everywhere in the house. When using the iPad there is no need to connect to a different network, put in a new password etc- it just works, locking onto whichever is the strongest signal.
So in summary if you have an iPad and are frustrated by its weak wifi reception capability- just get one of these!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great range extender .. once you fix the firmware!, 14 Dec. 2010
M. Paul - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender (Accessory)
Bought this to extend my parents wireless network. Usual excellent delivery by Amazon. Out of the box the product is useless. The firmware shipped is ancient and doesn't work. Very quickly found the manufacturers website, downloaded latest firmware and reflashed the unit. Now working flawlessly. Such good value. Someone needs to take up the firmware issue with the manufacturer. If you are not comfortable reflashing hardware then think twice!

3.0 out of 5 stars It DOES Works, but hard to setup, manual shocking, support good, 14 Mar. 2011

Good points:
It works as a range extender.
Phone support is good and 24/7
Very cheap and cheerful
Small and lightweight

Bad points:
Manual is rubbish and does not reflect the actual setup options at times. It does not cover all points necessary to configure.
Setup is not obvious and if you are not willing to spend ages trying to get it to work, OR just contact the support line straight off this would be a nightmare to configure.

For the price, if you are fairly technical and willing to contact tech support (manufacturer website) it is worth the effort
If you have an unsecurred network, then setup is easy, but WHY DO YOU HAVE AN UNSECURRED NETWORK??!!

(Please don't use WEP for your network, too hackable!) USe WPA PSK

What I did to get it to as extender with tech support help: (if you are not technical this will not make sense)

========================================================================================================

Note: this is rough guide only.
0. If you use mac address filtering on router, add mac of tlink in before you start on router!
1. Connect tlink to pc with network cable.
2. Configure LAN TCP/IP connection with static ip of say 192.168.1.100 (or whatever, as long as is NOT .254 )
3. Open command prompt and ping tlink 192.168.254 (ip of tlink), subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (Eth address.)
4. If it responds to pings then happy days proceed to next step
5. Open tlink page by typing in internet explorer 192.168.1.254
6. enter password etc from manual
7. Flash firmware (optional) from manufacture website (I did)
7. Somewhere under LAN (or security) you can specify the LAN ip address.
if your router is (example 192.168.0.1) put in static ip of say 192.168.0.150 as the lan address of the tlink. Note this so called LAN address is ACTUALLY the wireless one as well! Default gateway should be ip of your router. Don't forget this! You may be prompted to reboot tlink at this stage.
8. Change your pc lan connection to be on 192.168.0 subnet. EG. 192.168.0.100 with static ip, Default gateway should be router ip and same for dns server. You should now be able to load the tlink page by entering 192.168.0.150 into internet explorer. Ie tlink should be on same subnet as router!
9. Once back in tlink admin page click Quick setup. Select various options including security type, network key, click SURVEY button to browse for your network, select by SSID and click connect.
It should auto fill most of the rest for you.
10. try using the diagnostic tab under tools to ping from tlink to the router. It should work, if not call tech support.
11. Change admin username and password!!
12. Backup configuration to bin file!
13. Disconnect cable.
14. Turn off/on tlink
15. Ping router from tlink, should work
16. Look at wireless network , strength should be better.

Don't forget to change chanel on router if connectivity ok, but strength of signal from router still no good (then reboot tlink)

ON my network it went from poor/fair to excellent.

I hope this shambolic review helps

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK TL-WA830RE Wireless Range Extender, 30 Jan. 2012
One end of my house had very temperamental WiFi coverage from our BT Home Hub 3.0 that was positioned 20m away through 3 brick walls. The signal would regularly drop out. I had been looking at options to resolve the problem for months and couldn't decide between all the different products available. I was almost put off this product because it seemed too cheap but the reviews were helpful and suggested that once you got it working it was excellent. So the TL-WA830RE eventually arrived and I followed the installation instructions.

Method One - Setup by button. Press WPS button on router (10 seconds on BT Hub 3.0) and then press the range extender button for 5 seconds. It didn't work! Tried it again, tried it again, unplugged the power restarted and tried again, pressed reset button and tried again, tried one last time, gave up.

Method Two - Setup by utility. For this a mini CD is supplied which I didn't dare insert into my vertical loading Apple iMac incase it never came out again. Also, and probably more relevant, the CD is only compatible with Windows 2000 onwards. So I fired up my work laptop, inserted the CD and followed the simple installation instructions which require an ethernet cable to link to the range extender. The appropriate light eventually came on indicating everything was now working and the TL-WA830RE was paired with my router.

I relocated the range extender to the opposite end of the house and all of my WiFi devices with 802.11n were indicating practically full signal strength. My Play Station 3 is only 802.11g and this was showing 27% signal strength which was unchanged from before. When I searched for WiFi networks available there were two identical named routers but one now had 97% signal strength! I simply selected the stronger one and re-paired the devices. I can't say if this will be the same for all 802.11g devices but it is the only one I have and was the only one that didn't instantly switch to the new stronger signal.

I now have full on WiFi everywhere in my house and all for under £30. The set up issues were resolved in under 20 minutes and I am no IT expert. I would highly recommend this product to anyone with less than full WiFi coverage and just carefully follow the instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the novice or impatient!, 6 Jan. 2011
I agree with M. Paul - Out of the box, the extender didn't function on my protected network (it may be OK on unprotected ones, but who has those nowadays!!??). I too flashed the new firmware, and I still wan't sure that the thing was working. Came back to it the following day, reset the extender and started from scratch with the new firmware and eventually I can see an improvement.
It was a concern that when I switched off the power to the extender, it lost settings, but it only did that once, so hopefully it was only a minor glitch.
Ignore the blurb about one-button set up - that's only for unprotected networks.
As mentioned, you need to modify your PC's IP address to set the extender up using the CD supplied (tough if you have a netbook with no CD drive!), otherwise your PC won't "see" the extender. You only get to know that if you look at the User Manual on the aforementioned CD. The Quick Start Guide doesn't mention this.
When you do get it set up, you need to go into the web based browser and interrogate the unit to check it has altered the region to UK - mine remained on USA until I manually changed it.

If you're a novice, technophobe or impatient, then don't buy this. I have a little experience in setting up networks, and I was getting to the point of sending this back. Perseverence overcame this, and, for the past couple of hours at least, it has been working well.

Three year warranty too. Hope I don't need it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Range Extender Life Shortner, 24 Dec. 2011
Unless you have several days and a lot of patients , do not go there , I have spent 3 days and still have problems with the LAN cycling on and off , I purchased 3 to replace , some Sitcom extenders that were destroyed by Lighting . I have a large WiFi network with Networked Cameras. I am also an engineer that has been working on networks since they were wet string.

I am awaiting some answers from support, so they may be able to work some magic,, not holding my breath.
I live in Spain and they were shipped here , It is not worth my while sending them back, the only good thing about them was the price , so when I smash them up , I will not have cost me much other than several years off my life and some hair

5.0 out of 5 stars What your Virgin Media Super Hub needs!, 3 Dec. 2011
Bought this to improve the range of our Virgin Media Super Hub, a.k.a. "Super Dud".

So easy to set up:
1) Press the button on the front of the Super Hub for 2 seconds. It will start flashing red and blue.
2) Press the button on the front of the Range Extender. Wait for the LED to stop flashing.
3) That's it.

We now have wifi all across the house, and for just £15. A lot less aggravating than fighting Virgin Media.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels a bit cheap but does a great job easily, 4 Feb. 2012
The Fat Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm using this as an access point rather than a range extender. Set up was really quick and easy (about 5 minutes from taking out of the box) and it just worked first time as I wanted.

The TP-Link website actually has a really nice feature that allows you to check out just how easy setting their kit up is. Just head over to their site and select 'TP-Link Emulators' under the support menu. This lets you dig around through the menus of their products to see what you're going to be faced with.

SETTING UP AS AN ACCESS POINT

I skipped the supplied set up software (supplied on a mini CD) and went for manual set up as I knew what I wanted the kit to do.

Out of the box this Range Extender is configured for a 192.168.0.x network (the default IP address is printed on the label on the bottom of the TL-WA830RE, as is the default admin password, MAC address etc). If that's not your network then you'll need to temporarily set your PC's IP address to an address on that network and connect to the Range Extender via network cable.

Once you're set up on that network just open your web browser and point it at the Range Extender's address. Up pops the configuration system. Type in the default admin username and password and you're ready to set things up.

I simply went for the 'Quick Setup' option, selected 'Access Point' as the operation mode, entered the SSID (wireless network name) I wanted, selected the correct region and set up my security parameters (SSID and security parameters the same as my main wireless router to allow for seamless roaming around the house) and hit 'Next'. The router reset and was all set up in terms of wireless.

Next step was to switch the network over to my own network range. If you want to use DHCP to have your main router allocate an IP address automatically you won't need to do this bit, but I wanted to set a static IP. Simply select 'Static IP', enter the IP address that you want, check the subnet mask and enter your main router's IP address as the gateway address.

One more reboot of the Range Extender and you're all set to disconnect the router from your PC and locate it where you want to create the new wireless coverage. The new access point obviously needs to be hooked into your network somehow when configured this way, and I use powerline adapters to achieve this (see below).

SETTING UP AS A RANGE EXTENDER

The TL-WA830RE can also be used as a range extender which does not need any wired connection once set up (and can apparently be set up just by pressing the Quick Setup button on the front. Beware though, that this will only work on an unsecured network - and obviously an unsecured network is not a good idea under in most circumstances.

I would imagine that setting up as a range extender is just as simple, if not more so, than setting up as an access point. In the past I have found access point setup to be quite troublesome with some kit (see my review of the Belkin Surf Wireless Router (802.11n, 150 Mbps) with Easy Set up, Security & Self Healing (F7D1301uk) for an example of a router that just refuses to work the way it should), but range extender set up is usually very straightforward.

GENERAL INFO

The TL-WA830RE feels a bit cheap due to being very light and plasticky to touch. It works very well though. Set up aside I get a good, solid wireless connection with very good speed. The box isn't the prettiest bit of kit in the world, but if you value function over prettiness then you can't really go wrong with the TL-WA830RE. And at this price it's really good value.

Background info on my network:

My set up is essentially a wireless modem router connected to my broadband phone connection. This modem router has four wired ethernet ports, one of which is connected to a Homeplug Powerline Adapter that distributes my network over the mains cabling in the house. The wireless doesn't get through the walls of the house so there are dead spots. I connect another Powerline Adapter where those dead spots are and plug in a Wireless Access Point such as this TL-WA830RE. This then extends my network to give me wireless anywhere. The advantage over using a 'Range Extender' (which this device can also be configured to work as) is that a Wireless Range Extender must be within range of the original wireless signal that it is going to extend. Using Powerline adapters mean that the access point can be located in an area beyond the original wireless network.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm "good with computers" but have been defeated by this. Just couldn't get it working., 24 Sept. 2014
Could not get this product working. After fiddling for a couple of hours, I gave up. Sometimes, I could get the ethernet working. Sometimes, I could get the wifi working. Sometimes, neither would work. But never got both working! The set up wizard is a joke, it keeps timing out during important operations, and is possibly the reason I could not get it working?

My requirements are simple: boost the existing wifi signal and have one device wired into the booster by ethernet.

Couldn't use "WPS" set up because it insisted on boosting my BT "public" hotspot rather than my private one.

Some other reviewers reported set up issues. I'm "good with computers" so thought I would be OK, but I should have heeded the warnings! This one's defeated me.

I found a firmware upgrade on the TP Link website but it downloaded as a ".bin" file with no instructions on what to do with it.

I did my best.