5.0 out of 5 stars marvellous set by a peerless pianist
i recently spent 8 days seriously ill in hospital - this was one of 2 boxed sets that got me through the days and on my return home got me through the nights
less idiosyncratic than gould, she plays with a wonderful sense of rhythmn and control but allows the music to sing like gould
as a bonus there is a sampler disc of non bach pieces to add to your wish list
Published on 23 April 2011 by Philip Chadwick

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes but...
It really is all there, beauty of tone, an impressive grasp of the musical architecture, clearly delineated counterpoint, lightly sprung dances in the suites, and well chosen tempos... Yes but, the parts somehow don't add up to the whole.
Published 22 months ago by dalmatian

5.0 out of 5 stars marvellous set by a peerless pianist, 23 April 2011
Philip Chadwick - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Angela Hewitt plays Bach (Complete Solo Keyboard Recordings) (Audio CD)
as a bonus there is a sampler disc of non bach pieces to add to your wish list

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Aug 2010
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This fantastic box contains all of Angela Hewitt's magnificent solo recordings of Bach for Hyperion which cover virtually the whole of Bach's solo keyboard works. I have owned all the original discs virtually from when they were issued, and they are all treasured gems of my collection. For Bach's keyboard works on the piano I don't think any of these discs can be bettered. I have listed at the end of this review the individual discs included as it's not all that clear from the listings on this page.

Angela Hewitt has received universal critical acclaim for all of these recordings. Rob Cowan said that her playing "always sounds as natural as breathing," which I think is perfectly put. If I had to choose just one recording of any of these works it would be Hewitt's - The Goldberg Variations in particular are simply sublime. She has an impeccable technique, a real depth of scholarship and - most importantly of all - an unsurpassed understanding of and empathy with Bach's music. She makes the music a monumental pleasure to listen to: the dances really dance, there is a spiritual depth and real intellectual weight in her playing combined with immense joy where appropriate, she uses just enough rubato to bring out the meaning of Bach's phrases without overburdening them with romanticism... I could go on, but you probably get the idea. It's just fabulous. I listen to these discs again and again, I never tire of them and always find in them real joy and balm for the soul.

This set is quite an investment, but it is well worth making. You get 15 superlative CDs which will last a lifetime; my copies of these discs have given me immense pleasure for many years and will continue to do so for years to come. It's a truly brilliant box, and I recommend it very warmly indeed.

The works:
Two- and Three-part Inventions etc. Bach : Fantasia Inventions, Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue
The English Suites Bach: English Suites
The French Suites Bach: French Suites
The Six Partitas Bach: The Six Partitas
The Well-Tempered Clavier (2008 recording) J.S Bach: Well Tempered Clavier
French Overture and Italian Concerto Bach: Italian Concerto & French Overture
The Goldberg Variations Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
The Toccatas J.S. Bach: The Toccatas
Fantasia and Fugue, Aria Variata & Other Works Bach: Fantasia, Aria & other works

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific set of Bach's keyboard works., 18 Nov 2010
We had the privilege of hearing Angela Hewitt play the complete Well-tempered clavier in 2008. She played Book I completely from memory on a Thursday evening, stopping after performing 4 preludes and fugues and having a ritual glass of water. After 3 drinks, it was time for the interval.

After the interval, she played P and Fs 13-24.

It was an amazing experience to hear the whole first book played so beautifully and convincingly in one concert.

On the following day, Ms Hewitt was interviewed about Bach, interpreting Bach and her world tour. During the course of the interview, she demonstrated from the piano and chatted with Mary Kostakidis, Australian broadcaster.

Then on the Saturday afternoon following, she played Book II, breaking the program up into groups of 4 as she had done with the first book. She had the sheet music in front of her this time, but we never once noticed her glancing at it.

In this set of cds, Ms Hewitt's 2008 recording of the WTC has been included with all of Bach's other major solo keyboard works. The set is bargain-priced, and includes several recordings which we did not yet own. The price is so attractive, it was cheaper to buy the set, even though we already had copies of some of the cds, than to purchase the ones we didn't own separately.

Her liner notes are always insightful and worth reading, but are not included in the set. but they are all available at the Hyperion website. It is well worth downloading them and reading them as you listen.

We own a few recordings of Bach performed on the piano, but we find Ms Hewitt's particularly satisfying.

I highly recommend this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy if you do not like Bach keyboard music, 14 Aug 2014
In the past Bach keyboard works was a no go area and got tired listening to Schiff 12 cd box.Glen Gould awaken my interest.Hewit box of the complete keyboard box set is expensive when Hyperion is selling the box set at £47 including postage.I never tired of listening to these cd.The sound is crystal clear,better than slice bread and something to write home.For expletive listen to English suite 1-6 for example Suite no 4 second movement 1 and 2,it is beautiful that can even move a heart of stone.I could not believe that Bach keyboard works is so melodious and addictive to listen to.I spend a whole listening to some of the cd and find difficult to listen to other music.now I listen to one cd every 6 days or else I would listen to my vast collection of jazz,opera,heavy metal,bluegrass and especially Bob Dylan.This box set should be included in every collection of people who appreciate good much.Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes but..., 13 Dec 2012
I am rarely mesmerized, no worlds are uncovered and the mysteries of the universe do not unfold in front of me like they do with Gould or Richter and lately Perahia. Her playing of Bach is merely pretty...