5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the beginner needs!
I bought this book simply because making cheese at home was something I always wanted to have a go at, but never knew where to start. I mean, I know I can go to a cheese-making suppliers, and buy kits, and get recipes off the internet, but what I wanted was just all the details of what I would need and how to go about making cheese, all in one easy chunk...
Published on 30 Aug 2006 by A. Delahunty

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough info for a newbie
I got this book after reading a few reviews on here and when I first started reading it I thought it looked really useful. However, having tried some of the recipes I'm finding that some of them lack enough information for complete newbies to cheesemaking.

Published on 17 Aug 2011 by M. Tate

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the beginner needs!, 30 Aug 2006
A. Delahunty - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)

Enter this book. Quite simply, it is fantastic. There is the right amount of detail at all stages to tell you what you need to do, and what you need to get hold of. The section on the various processes involved in making cheese was perfect, aimed not to high or low, and explained everything exceptionally well. The recipes which finish this book are a good selection, even if it has now told me that brie is an awkward one to make! The only criticism is that is is very obviously US-oriented, and while this generally isn't a problem, it does mean you will have to go looking for supplies yourself.

On the whole, I cannot recommend this book enough. Get it, read it, buy the stuff you need, and set about creating your own cheese-based empire!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheese-Making Instruction, 17 Dec 2010
Sandra Becker (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
I consider this book to be my 'Cheese-Making Bible'. I had absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about the making of cheese, but with the step-to-step instructions and, trial and error, I have progressed quite considerably and am very proud of my results. I found this a very good book for the 'First-Timer' and as yet I have not found it necessary to search for other alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home cheesemaking, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
Ventured into home cheesemaking in 2011. I have made five cheeses from this book now, (feta - great, farmhouse cheddar -great, cheddar- waiting for it to mature, mozzarella - good and so easy, ricotta - using discarded whey, not too successful. Great little book with loads of cheese recipes from simple to complex. I would reccomend anyone taking their first steps in cheesemaking or beyond to get a copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
I have just started cheesemaking as a hobby and found this book to be very informative regarding the processes involved in cheesemaking.
The only negative point I have found is that it is an American book and the measurements are not in metric.
If this is not bad enough, I am unable to find out whether the "gallons" in the recipes are Imperial gallons or American gallons, very confusing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough info for a newbie, 17 Aug 2011
M. Tate - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)

-Sometimes it's not exactly clear when to take the milk off the heat. It will tell you to heat the milk up, add the coagulant, stir for several minutes, then strain. Maybe to an experienced cheesemaker it's clear what you have to do (whether to take it off the heat before adding, or maintain the temp you've reached) but it wasn't clear to me.

-In other sections it's not clear whether the recipe calls for raw milk or pasturized milk, and whether you need to add calcium chloride to the milk if using shop-bought milk.

-The fact that it is all in US measures isn't too much of a problem, it's easy enough to go through the recipe converting them before you start (you don't really have time to mess around once you've started). However, as the book is being sold globally, it possibly wouldn't have been too much effort to add metric measurements in brackets (many recipe books do).

-Some alternative or substitute ingredient recommendations would be welcome for those outside the US who can't get everything you need (like can you use lemon juice to replace citric acid?).

-Some of the recipes require very precise temperature control otherwise times for coagulation change dramatically. I would assume most newbies aren't going to want to spend hundreds of pounds/euros/dollars on equipment. Some more 'acceptable ranges' would be better, rather than precise temperatures/times.

So, it's not a bad book, but it could be better. It's a good read for a newbie, but perhaps the recipes could be structured better based on the assumption that the reader has no knowledge of cheesemaking at all. I found I had to frequently search for clarifcation online or on forums.

I would recommend this book if you have good access to a cheesemaking supplier, intend to get into cheesemaking in a big way, or have some prior knowledge of the craft, but otherwise it might be a little frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars cheese making, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
This book answers all the queries about cheese making and has all the easy to follow recipes I will ever need, This book is great for someone new to cheese making I would recommend it to anyone

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't find the bacteria!!, 12 July 2009
Abdulla M. Al Qasim (Bahrain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
I gave this book three stars for one reason and one reason only, I can't get hold of the bacteria packets required! I don't blame the book or the author for that, but it makes it diffuclt for this review to be objective being unable to test the recipes out!

Rather frustrating really, the book seems to hold an abundance of great recipies, but I am unable to try any of the recipes out! Looks like it's going to be doomed to an eternity on the shelf.

But for those who can get hold of all the ingredients, it is a great book with many types of cheeses that you could try at home using many types of milk. If you can find those bacteria packets, then defenitely give it a try.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy only if you live in the US, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
Too much US oriented. You will hardly find the recommended ingredients to make any cheese (basically the US based web site of the author). For the rest it is well made and provides step by step instructions. I learned a lot about cheese making and milk, but I never attempted to make any cheese.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Home Cheese Making (Paperback)
very pleased with this book - we live on a dairy farm, hence a lot of milk :) having made cheese before i just wanted a basic general all rounder, ideal for beginners

3.0 out of 5 stars More indepth information than I need, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Homemade Cheeses (Kindle Edition)
I have already produced soft cheese successfully at home and was interested in making hard cheese so thought this might be useful. It goes into the milk structure, rennet, culture etc in quite a depth, also various stories about farm cheese making and case studies, when most of what I wanted was the recipies and where to get the ingredients and equipment. Also as I am producing it at home it will be in small quantities, and generally the recipies use a minimum of a gallon of milk which requires large utincils to be able to heat it indirectly. I have not yet tried any of the recipies so cant yet comment on the results but will probably work OK