Published 6 months ago by H. H. Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth even 77p
Normally, I'd say it's worth 77p to try a book, but I wouldn't recommend this one even if it was free - it is unusable! I can't comment on the range of words it includes or the accuracy, but the way it is laid out makes it unusable.

Published on 9 Jan. 2013 by Ms Hannon

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth even 77p, 9 Jan. 2013
Ms Hannon (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)

The list of headings and translations is shown in one continuous line, with nothing (not even a full stop) between the end of the last entry and the beginning of the next. This makes it hard to find the word you want on the page.

There is no way to jump from one letter to the next, you have to press the 'Next Page' button on your Kindle to get to the part of the dictionary you want. It opens at 'A', so if you want to look up a word beginning with 'T' you just have to sit there and keep pressing that button till you finally get to the T's. If you press 'Menu' then 'Go To', you can only jump to the beginning or end of the book. If the letters were arranged into separate chapters that would at least be an improvement.

Even if this was free it would still be one to avoid as you'd never be able to use it. Awful book, I'm deleting it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlike any dictionary I've used before, 6 Sept. 2012
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
I can't make head nor tail of this 'dictionary'. It was the first book I bought on Kindle - maybe Kindle books ARE strange, but this is certainly NOT like a printed dictionary. I have no idea how to use it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
This so-called pocket dictionary is completely useless for a learner. Even the most common everyday words are missing. The book is also completely unusable as a dictionary. A total waste of time and money!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value if you want to understand older texts, 7 May 2014
Patrick Carmody (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Kindle version
This seems to me to be a fair dictionary of printed Welsh from maybe the early 1900's.
So, no modernisms. And no clear distinction north/south.
Some other reviews complain about the layout - all squashed up, no headings.
It took some getting used to, but way I use it on my Kindle is -
a) I have put a few markers into the text (Cyn-, Gy-, etc). So I can quickly get to these points
b) if that fails (and there are always problems with mutations), then I can search for part of the word
eg: for cymdeithas, I might search for "ymdeithas"
This takes a few seconds, but comes up with all the entries which contain this text (highlighted).
Of course, the best is "y Geriadur Mawr", but it does not fit in my pocket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 77p but I wish I'd listened to the reviews!, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
Simply put, don't buy this.

Don't buy this for your Kindle thinking you'll be able to fox the ridiculous layout by using the search function to search for words! I downloaded a sample and was able to use the search to search for a word so I thought I'd overlook the layout and buy it anyway but our dear author has been canny and indexed the sample but not the whole book, taking this dictionary from practically useless to utterly useless... neu hollol anobeithiol ;)

Dewch ymlaen Amazon, rydyn ni eisiau geiriadur Cymraeg Kindle!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not right for me, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
I bought an ebook version and it is too cumbersome for my use. Other folk may just as well think it marvelous for its content

4.0 out of 5 stars with use it is proving an excellent partner for those learning Welsh, 21 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
At first glance I was unsure if I'd bought the wrong one? It is more informal than the OED-type dictionaries. However, with use it is proving an excellent partner for those learning Welsh. Its up-to-date use of colloquial (spoken) Welsh takes a little getting used to, but not too long. I'd recommend it to all learners, but it would be a little too informal for the serious (thesaurus-reading) users needing reference translations. It's size is also very practical.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
What a waste of money. You can't look up a specific word and have to scroll through the whole dictionary. Have tried all ways but get message saying service is unavailable!

1.0 out of 5 stars not what i would call a dictionary, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
very poor. words in it I don't need, and no way of putting in a English word in to translate to welsh. not impressed at all, waste of money

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English (Kindle Edition)
Very difficult to find the word you want, and not very user friendly. Would not recommend it to beginners in Welsh.

A Pocket Dictionary, Welsh-English