4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty impressive
Using bluetooth with this scanner seems to slow it down, on my PC at least. When used with the USB cable it is very quick. When scanning from books it is incredibly fast and accurate and only marginally less so on newspapers and magazines.

Published on 12 Oct 2010 by Mr. N. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful! This may not do what you think.
Published on 27 May 2011 by G. H. Fraser-sampson

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty impressive, 12 Oct 2010
Mr. N. Taylor (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)

One tip I picked up from another Amazon Review of a scanner is to use a ruler to guide the scanner, if possible, as this improves accuracy (and speed), particularly if you are a beginner.

Not perfect, but I haven't heard of anyone finding a better hand held scanner and I can't imagine how any student can get by without one of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial Testing Great but very Right Handed, 28 May 2013
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)
I bought this to help me with my PhD as I have lots of reading to do. Initial tests are good but I found that pushing it with my left hand (I'm left handed) quite tiring quite quickly. However, as it is easy enough to use I can manage well with my right hand, especially when using a ruler for a guide (thanks to other recommendation for tip!).

A minor point, when you get it out of the box all the instructions are for connecting to an Android device. However, if you go to their website the MS Windows download is straight forward (I didn't look for Mac!).

Over all, good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it a lot, excellent support, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)
I had problems to get the bluetooth working so for a long time, I used it with the cable instead. However, I just contacted the C-pen support team and got an excellent help - the supporter kept getting back to me and finally I figured out the problem. He gave the following instruction:
1. If you start up the C-Pen 3.5 with a "long press" (~5s) on the Function button you enter Discoverable Mode (the pen is visible for other Bluetooth devices and ready to pair). In this mode the blue LED flash once per second.
2. If the pen is already paired with a host and powered up with a "short" press on the Function button the blue LED flash three times every second while trying to establish a connection with the paired host.
3. When the pen is connected to the host via Bluetooth the blue LED flash one time every three seconds.

With only Bluetooth connection you can thus only scan when the blue LED flash according to #3 above.

My mistake was that after pressing the C-pen with a long press (more than 5 s)the device got paired. But once it is paired, next time I should not press long, but only short and then it connected properly. So now it is working fine. In bluetooth mode it is slightly slower to transfer the scanned text on the document on the pc, but the movement of the scanner itself can be done at the same speed as with cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mightier than any sword, 16 April 2014
D. Elson - See all my reviews
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)
Before reading this review, I should explain that (1). I use it with a Mac and (2). I use it to scan mobile phone top up voucher numbers which my company ( Phonepal ) sell to end-users to top up their pay-as-you-go mobile phones. There is zero margin for error because if one digit is incorrect, the voucher number will not work. I was therefore highly sceptical that the C-Pen would do the job.

Firstly, if you are going to connect this wirelessly, it is not terribly easy with a Mac. However, I persevered and finally managed it. Having said this, I believe it's fairly easy to connect wirelessly with a PC.

I have found that the best method of using this pen is to hold it upright and not to 'slant' it. I.e. do not lean it to the left or right whilst scanning and do not 'twist' it as you scan either. It really helps if you have a steady hand and can 'draw' a straight line with it. Any uneven scanning may result in possible gobbledygook. Also, it is best to avoid using it in direct or strong sunlight, as the bright light the pen emits to highlight your text (to be scanned) can be affected by sunlight.

It takes a little practice to work this. As you press the pen over the text to be scanned, a bright light emits from it to highlight the text. A steady scan at a steady speed will result in highly satisfactory results. To start with, I did make mistakes and once transcribed a '3' as an '8'. However this was due to the fact that I was not used to it as after having now scanned literally thousands of 16-digit of numbers, each one has been totally accurate. The C-Pan is also fairly 'forgiving' and even if you do 'wobble' it whilst scanning, it still seems to understand what the text you're scanning actually is and transcribes it accurately.

To sum up, the C-Pen saves me a huge amount of time and is extremely accurate. I really love it and I have no hesitation in throughly recommending it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful! This may not do what you think., 27 May 2011
G. H. Fraser-sampson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)
Please be careful if, after reading blurb about "use while travelling" you are looking to buy a pen scanner that functions as a sort of digital notebook which can scan text from books and store it in memory. It cannot do this. It only works when attached to a computer as an input device. As such it is pretty pointless, since you can type someting almost as quickly as it can scan it. Not sure why they did not design it to do something really useful, but there you are.

I cannot say for sure how well it works as an input device as, after reading the booklet, I could not be bothered even to take it out of the box. A classic example of a clever solution in search of a problem. I will be sending it back.

Update August 2011: Just took this out of the box for the first time and loaded the software, out of curiosity if nothing else, and cannot get the scanner to work at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars not working at all, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)
i am totally disappointed its not working at all and now i can't change it because i was the international student and am not in UK any more

4.0 out of 5 stars Great time-saver but..., 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens (Personal Computers)
This product is a great time-saver. But:

1-I couldn't get the bluetooth work. I mean no bluetooth for me! I can only use it with the USB cable. Ectaco only supports Microsoft or Broadcom (Widcomm) bluetooth stacks and my laptop has Ralink Motorola preinstalled. I tried a million ways to make it work like switching my bluetooth stack to Microsoft or Broadcom, resetting my computer to factory settings etc. with no success. I wasted maybe 1 day of my life on this. A big company like Ectaco has to have programmers to work with these kind of driver problems. I mean how hard is it to code a driver for a bluetooth stack?!! The customer support staff is very helpful but they couldn't solve the issue either.

I can delete the Ralink stack and install Microsoft but then it says "Paired but not connected." When it comes to Broadcom, my laptop doesn't even let me install it. I recommend you check your bluetooth stack in your computer before you buy this product.

2-Scanning is good. I can say it scans with a 90% accuracy. The left-hand side of the books cause problem as you may guess. But mostly you can overcome this issue by putting another book under the left-hand side of the book you are going to scan. Colored text hasn't caused any problem for me either.

3-I can't comment on battery life since I can't use it via bluetooth!

Conclusion:

A great time-saver for avid readers like me. If I could make the bluetooth work, I would rate it 4.5 stars. But for now, only 3.5 out of 5.

C-PEN 3.5 Scanning Pens