4.0 out of 5 stars Kamelot, almost back to their best
Their 2002 release, Epica, which saw them launch into a more powerful approach, with better production, shot Kamelot directly into the spotlight. They followed this with another excellent album, The Black Halo.
Then, as we have come to expect over the years with this group, they released a very poor album, namely, Ghost Opera, pretty awful stuff.
So, I had mixed...
Published on 10 Sep 2011 by Metalstar

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!
I've been a huge Kamelot fan for a long time & loved almost all they've done - up till now. I found this album boring & repetetive. There were no epic tunes that grabbed me & nothing really stood out for me.
Published on 12 July 2011 by Jennifer Talbot

4.0 out of 5 stars Kamelot, almost back to their best, 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned (Audio CD)
So, I had mixed feelings, when I first played this latest offering.
However, we are nearly back to the standards of Epica and The Black Halo, this really was a return to form.
This may, in part, have something to do with the guest and additional musicians involved with this project.
The album kicks off with a heavy melodic track "The Great Pandomonium", then it drifts away a little, but, from "Hunters Season" (Gus G plays the guitar solo) onwards, the album is at it's best.
"House On The Hill" and in parts of the four piece "Poetry For The Poisoned" features the beautiful singing voice of Simone Simons.(why is she still messing around with that average band Epica?)
Another excellent track is the heavy melodic rock of "Seal Of Woven Years".
Having individually scored each song in turn, I ended up with an average of 3.7 stars and that's probably about right.
The next step for Kamelot now, will be very interesting, bearing in mind, that Roy Kahn will no longer be on vocal duty. Let's wait and see.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Kamelot Fans, 27 Oct 2010
E. J. Stevens "Diocletian" (Southampton - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
Poetry For The Poisened is the third CD I've bought by Kamelot. Epica was the first Kamelot CD I bought. I really liked it. Then I bought The Black Halo. Before any of that I bouth their DVD One Cold Winter's Night. On to Poerty For The Poisened. When I read about it being released I thought that any follow up to The Black Halo would be difficult and though I might be taking a gamble here. I was glad I bought it. It is a really good album. Probably even a tad better than The Black Halo. I realy like the 15th track Where The Wild Roses as it is such a nice contrast to the other tracks. I would certainly recomment this albmm to anyon. It gets better each time I listen to it. I was bought up on "Heavy" music and as such it takes a lot to impress me. Fortunately there are a whole host of really good bands and artisits around today; Tarja; Within Temptation; Epica; Lacuna Coil; Leave's Eyes; Nightwish - and a few "new to me bands" that are defunct such as After Forever and Octavia Sperati.

4.0 out of 5 stars A present, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
A rocker who enjoys listening to a wide variety of rock in the car. He certainly appreciated this one and plays it a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
Kamelot have made another Dramatic and almost Operatic Heavy Rock album. If you like that type of music you should try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poisonous Poetry, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
It is difficult to avoid bias with Kamelot - To a greater or lesser degree all of this band's albums are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry To My poisoned Ears, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned (Audio CD)
Simply put, Kamelot, One of the worlds premier Operatic Power Metal bands,Have outdone themselves. This album is a must hear, highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 12 July 2011
Jennifer Talbot "halolain" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned (Audio CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Currently my least favourite Kamelot album (but that could change!)., 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned (Audio CD)
The first thing I noticed when I listened to this album is the harsh, slightly unpleasant sound of the production. It's very treble heavy and possibly over-compressed. Also, I didn't like the vocal melodies as they didn't quite have that drama and wow-factor of past Kamelot albums due to their limited range.

I might be way out of line by suggesting this, but my little theory of why the vocals are composed lower is that Roy Khan is going through a period of bad health which is affecting his confidence and, therefore, his voice. I'm a singer and I went through a phase like this when I was convinced I was losing my voice and consequently struggled with the high notes. However, now my confidence is back, I can sing as high as ever. All the very best to Roy and his recovery. He'll be hitting those top C's in no time!

On the positive side, there is a new complexity and subtly to the songwriting on this album which is very exciting. For example, the intro to 'Seal of Woven Years' is possibly one of the best ever Kamelot moments. It is so atmospheric and genuinely makes me feel awestruck. And it contains a beautiful phrase sung by Roy which I can't get enough of.

Maybe when Roy Khan regains his range, Kamelot will be able to combine this new maturity in their songwriting with more spectacular vocal lines to create their best ever album. 'Poetry for the Poisoned' definitely has seeds of greatness which might keep on growing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned (Audio CD)
I can't fault this album at all. It's fantastic and definitely worth buying! It may not be their best album to date, but I still love it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Offering, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Poetry For The Poisoned (Audio CD)
Whilst this album is not up to the truly fantastic standards Kamelot set themselves with Epica/Black Halo, Poetry for the Poisoned is still a wonderful effort. Starting off with 'The Great Pandemonium' it starts as it means to continue. Whilst I felt there was a small dip at 'Zodiac' the album is back up and running at max by 'Hunter's Season'. And then the four part titular track rolls round. Just. Wow. In Pt2 the truly beautiful vocals of Simmone Simmons repeat what they did in the track 'The Haunting (Somewhere in Time)' off Black Halo and completely steal the show. Whilst I rank Roy Khan's vocals up with Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, Simmons' somehow manages to eclipse him.

In conclusion, this is a must buy album with the best songs being 'Great Pandemonium', 'Hunter's Season' and 'Poetry for the Poisoned Pt2: So Long'.

ARRAY(0xa986e018)

Poetry For The Poisoned [Deluxe Edition]
Poetry For The Poisoned [Deluxe Edition] by Kamelot (Audio CD - 2010)