on 2 August 2011
Good all round product. The only snag is the handle, in that it doesn't fold downwards. If the basket is left in the oil, then the handle sticks out. However, as long as you have plenty of room where it stands, then this is overcome. Heats up and fries very well. I have been pleased with it otherwise. Good value at the price, and I like the removable frying container, as this aids easy cleaning. Also easy to unpack and assemble.
on 1 December 2011
After we binned our previous fryer due to health reasons about 5 years ago we had a hankering for some real chips.I have decided that chips once a week is ok(truth is we said bugger the calories).looked at fryers in various stores and for between £18 and £30 you can get a fryer that looks like the Tefal but are really flimsy,some are more expensive and are very tinny and look cheap. The Tefal feels sturdy and looks well made.Some of the top of the range fryers at twice the price of the Tefal don't appear to be of a superior quality,they may have a few more buttons and features but the Tefal has everything we required.The fryer gets to temperature very quickly(about 4-5 mins to 190c).Have only tried chips and chicken so far,and they were superb.The fryer is easy to clean and the outer walls don't get very hot at all. Overall i find this fryer does what its designed for very well.
11 comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2016
I got this for my son (aged 22) whose previous deep fat fryer had broken down. He specifically wanted a pro fryer (not a deep fat fryer) after borrowing a friend's pro fryer as a stop gap. His requirements were pretty simple - to cook good chips (both frozen and fresh potatoes) and similar things (eg waffles) for up to 4 people, to do it quickly, and for the appliance to be easy to empty clean and refill. He's had the appliance for about a month and it seems to do the job very well. It's very easy to use, cooks quickly and thoroughly, and is easy to take apart for cleaning.
Bad points:
My only gripe is that the instruction manual is no more than a set of badly drawn pictures - like you used to get with self assembly furniture. The safety instructions come in a separate booklet in multiple languages, so it seems stupid not to do the same with the operating instructions. Decoding the pictures took me a while but my son seemed to know what to do anyway from using his mate's fryer.
This is a really good quality deep fat fryer. In fact, when I bought it, I believe that it was a Which? Magazine Best Buy (I don't know if it still is).
The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is because it is a little too large for my purposes.
Most of the time, I just need a fryer for myself and my partner, and this can cope with much more. For a family it will probably be ideal.
I doubt that there will be a much larger fryer that you can buy (unless you run a fish and chip shop)

It heats up quickly, has good temperature adjustment/control, a useful see-through lid, and steam vents.
The 'stay cool' handles on the side also make it easy to move about when the oil is still hot.

A real bonus is the fact that it is easy to clean. The temperature control and heating element part just unhooks from the casing, so you have no worries about any electrical parts getting wet. And the oil container can just be lifted out from the shell to empty/clean/refill.

As I said, it is a little on the large side for me - both in oil usage and for storage when not in use. But still a very good fryer.

Anyway, I hope that this review is helpful in some way when making the decision.
Thanks for reading it.
on 4 August 2012
Oil heats up very quickly. The fryer is smaller than I anticipated, none the less it's sufficient for two people, defo not a family fryer. The downfall to this fryer is when Getting the food out of the basket it folds in (As it has the mechanism of folding the handle in) so u need to hold the top end of basket in order for it to stop folding in, which is really annoying. Other than that fryer is good, cooks food really well.
on 19 July 2014
On my second fryer, wore the first one out and I have had this over two years. I really don't know what some of the other reviewers are talking about! The basket handle locks into place when opened up if you push it far enough, you are then able to tip the basket to empty out the food, it goes exactly where you point it! The handle folds down when the fryer is cool and the basket sits in the fryer with the handle folded and the lid in place, the handle stays clear of the oil in the fryer, no handle sticking out!

My chips are the best we have ever had made in this fryer (same coment from family and friends), buy it and you will not be disappointed, it is excellent.
on 9 May 2012
When you lift the basket to shake off excess oil the handle on the the basket often collapses as it does not lock in place, shaking the basket often results in the hot contents of the basket falling out ending up on the floor, worktop or worse on you. The basket is also a problem when storing the fryer the handle does not fold down the side of the fryer but folds into the fryer so to store the fryer with the basket in it you have to empty the fryer. I have gone through a number of fryers over the years and this is by far the worst. The fryer it isnt even any good at retaining odours, when used the house smells for the rest of the evening.

This fryer is dangerous, poor design and smelly to use, if someone offered me one for £5 i wouldnt want it. I am now shopping around for a replacement and this will be the first time i have thrown a working appliance in the bin.
on 23 October 2014
I know it's a fryer, but to me it's just a chip pan. For approximately 10 years I would not have a chip pan in the house, one for the grease, secondly remember trying to clean the thing and lastly because I wanted to live a healthier lifestyle.
After all those years of only having chips about once a month from the chippy I decided that because I had grown all these potatoes on my allotment, I would buy a chip pan. I wanted something that was stainless steel inside and out for easy cleaning. I nearly bought the delonghi one for twice the price as the inner was stainless and this one is enamelled. However I could not bring myself to pay £70 for a chip pan! The fryer is absolutely fantastic, being 3 litres it cooks the chips really quickly 8-12 minutes, and so nice too. I cleaned it for the first time after about twelve uses and it cleaned up inside lovely with the aid of a couple of Brillo pads. The outside didn't need cleaning as after every use I wiped the steel down with kitchen roll and bit of Cillit for grease. A few reviews complain about the handle. Well, when attached properly it is impossible to shake off when you are shaking excess oil off cooked food. The other problem on reviews was the handle not storing, well I remove it from the basket after use leaving the basket in oil and after washing up it goes in the drawer. This also allows when the fryer has cooled down the next day for it to be stored in a normal sized 300mm kitchen unit until next week when we need it. It cooks easily enough chips for 3-4 people. It only smells when you do not change the oil regularly, I can not praise this item enough....we love chips again!
on 22 March 2013
I bought this because it was heavly marked down and and because it had a food capacity of 1.2kg which is the biggest i could find.
I have had it for a week now and used it three times.
The temp control works well and it heats up quickly which is very good. I am not convinced that the amount I can put in is 1.2kg as my previous fryer was 1kg food capacity and it seems the same. I had hoped for a noticeable increase.
I clean the lid and the basket after use and store the basket on top.
The handle does not come off but it does fold up (not down) so you can't leave the basket in the fryer unless you are prepared to leave the handle sticking out. Many people leave the basket in due to space so this is a negative.
The lid is easy to clean and the product feels well made and looks very nice.
Overall I am pleased with it but for others the points I have raised knocks it down to three stars.
on 5 January 2014
This was bought to replace a de longhi frier which packed in after about 18 months despite limited use.

I am very impressed as it heats up fairly quickly, and more importantly it retains the temperature well, and after removing the prawn cakes which were ready the temperature ready light came on within a minute. This is important if you are cooking in batches.

The basket is not huge but bigger than many I have seen. Some reviews have strange stories about the basket sitting in the oil and not draining, or about the handle not being able to lift the basket, etc etc. If it is clipped properly - and it is obvious! - it works perfectly. The only minor point would be after use, if you want to keep it inside the frier, unless you drain the oil it would sit partly in the oil so as to have the lid closed. It is easy to wash/clean as necessary.

I said ALMOST excellent. The one advantage my previous frier had over this one was a drain tap, so you didn't need to lift anything to pour out the oil - just open the tap. However I can live without that! Very pleased with my purchase.