4.0 out of 5 stars Promising debut
Published on 19 Oct 2010 by M. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment
I cannot see what all the hype is about this band, I bought the album expecting big things and was left feeling disappointed! No stand out songs and after a couple of weeks I gave up trying....
Published 9 months ago by psycho

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising debut, 19 Oct 2010
M. Brown "The Deceiver" (Felixstowe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (Audio CD)
I purchased this album after reading a positive review on a music website and then listening to a few tracks on myspace. It has turned out to be a good move as this an excellent debut album from a rare thing these days, a young British rock band. They remind me a little of another great British rock band, Nine Black Alps, who have unfortunately fallen out of favour recently despite producing three really good albums. It's refreshing these days to hear a band producing very listenable tuneful rock songs that never lose sight of their melody even on the faster, louder tracks, when most rock bands seem to fall into the heavy rock or emo categories of music. It's perhaps indicative of the strength of the album that my favourite track is Endless Grey, not one of the single releases from the album. I would strongly recommend this album to anyone who enjoys rock or guitar driven music.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Our Kings Are Dead, 13 July 2010
Robert Mark Davis "Robb91" (UK, Staines, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (Audio CD)
The band have come along way in the past year, their debut album All Our Kings Are Dead shows this. Their sound is more or less the same as what you hear on the EP but add in more reverb on the vocals and maybe strings in a few songs aswell as gang vocals. The album uses alot of pop hooks which is something Young Guns are good at. All the songs are strong, none of them seem to be there to just fill the space although I'm not too keen on the re-recording of Weight Of The World. But that may grow on me over time.

Gustav Wood is a extraordinary lyricist and vocalist in my opinion. The lyrics on some songs dwell on him not having his father as a child. That put off a listener, but in no way is he whining about this, if anything writing songs on this subject has helped the band. For example the lyrics in the bridge of the album opener Sons Of Apathy. "My Father was an oak, the earth moved when he spoke. My father conquered seas but was not there for me" The line above flows so well with the rest of the instruments, everything on the album in fact feels natural.
I wouldn't compare Young Guns to any other artist, to me they're one of those few unique bands that have their own sound. I would recommend listening to these songs off the album to get into the band; Crystal Clear, Winter Kiss & Weight Of The World. All of which have been singles.

As I probably mentioned before, one of the things I love about this band is the vocal melody and the guitar lines and how it works off each other. As well as the poppy melodies used in their break downs. The only thing I don't like about this album is the re-recording ofWeight Of The World, it's lost it's raw edge and doesn't feel as crazy as the original. Wasn't necessary, but it's still cool I suppose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, 6 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 Jan 2014
diamondgeezer1 (Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (MP3 Download)
Really like this album, the songs are catchy, and I find myself singing them to myself again and again. Would recommend this album to anyone looking for a new band to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (Audio CD)
Cd came within deadline stated and was in excellent condition.
And the music was brilliant, highly recomend this to fans of rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Rock, New Band, 27 April 2013
D. W. Bright - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (MP3 Download)
As a fan of a wide and varied selection of bands including Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Linkin Park, and a wide sleceltion of 80's rock (despite growing in the 90's)...

This is a very good album of new and interesting music with new melodies and new things to express. The production budget cloud have been better (the voice component could do with being stronger in several tracks) but the music is so good in most of the tracks that this is a minor issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mature sound for a debut, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (Audio CD)
I received this album as a birthday present, and what a present it was! Honestly, it's one of the best alternative rock albums I've ever listened to. I first became interested in Young Guns via their most recent album, 'Bones', then I was tempted to listen to their previous album, half-expecting to hear a less-refined sound. Though, one listen to 'All Our Kings Are Dead', and it was not only beyond my expectations... I was left gobsmacked! Every track is consistent in its quality and creativity. There's a pleasant expressive energy to the music, working seamlessly with the beautifully sung vocals. The high-tempo upbeat tracks are anthemic. The ballads reach to the core of the human soul, particularly, "Stitches", yet there's space for pulsating beats from the riffs and drums. Every song has engaging and highly imaginative lyric writing - highly poetic in the creative sense. I found I do prefer their older material, even a track on their demo EP, called `In the Night', is one of my all time favourites.
In my opinion, 'All Our Kings Are Dead' is a stronger album than 'Bones'.

4.0 out of 5 stars new British rock at its best, 12 Mar 2012
jacky mercury (Bridlington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (MP3 Download)
Soemtimes you listen to a band and you know they are destined for big things, Young Guns are one such. Punchy songs and soaring vocals and lots of emotion thrown into the mix. You should also buy 'Bones' their newest release, too. It is as they say, awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Guns, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (Audio CD)
I purchased this cd having heard one track and am so glad I did. Would recommend it as all the tracks are good. Price was absolutely brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: All Our Kings Are Dead (MP3 Download)
Young Guns have a bright future ahead. This album is a great mix of immediately catchy songs (Weight of the World, Crystal Clear, Sons of Apathy) and those that grow on you as you listen (At the Gates, After the War).

The band have a really solid sound and the lyrics to their songs are simply poetic at times. The first time I heard "Stitches" I was completely moved by it, Its a rare gem that captures exactly what it intends to. And on a side note the music video for that song is an artistic achievement in itself.

I can't really describe how good this album is, its amongst my personal favourites of all time. If you give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Just my thoughts...